Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: WPL B-1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default WPL B-1

It arrived in a torn and tattered package. But was nevertheless unharmed.

A five minute tear down and a quick runaround the living room showed a few things. The servo is a joke. It's already busted and wasn't proportional anyway. Top of the list on repairs which must be accompanied by an ESC and a Rx.

Tires are nearly rock hard.
65mm tall

22mm or so wide

30mm where the bead seats. So an odd size at roughly 1.25" wheels.

125mm wide axles

5mm hexes.

Horrid angles and crappy driveshafts.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: WPL B-1

All of this makes sense for the price.

What I'm itching to know is what the inside of the axles and central gearbox look like. Just how "mod-able" this is with the right tools. new tires and rims seem like a must, along with fixing that awful driveshaft angle. if you plan to use it for any decent real crawling then I wonder how hard it would be to make your own driveshafts for it out of a better material.

and I totally expected the electronics to be a joke. That's always an easy fix however!

I almost want to purchase 2 of these, to make a 6x6. but I gotta get my hands on one first and see just how much I can work with it. I COULD just buy
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Wpl b-1

These would be a good match if you can cut them to fit or figure out how to mount a 7mm hex 1" wheel to the 5mm hex output of these axles.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Scrambler-Off...es_p_5142.html

Last edited by Brake Weight; 10-03-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I flipped the fixed mount of the leaf springs and put the loose side mount to the higher setting. Gained a slight correction in the shaft angle on the rear. I'll flip the front axle later.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Wpl b-1

I figured I'd jump on the project over the course of a few days while drinking my morning coffee and contemplating. Lol.

I robbed these two axle pics from another thread/forum. I'm too lazy to tear mine down like this. I'll also assUme that the axle shaft is one piece. Otherwise it would've been broken down even further for this pic.

I eyeballed my ruler at 125mm. Calipers tell a different story. But the plastic hex ends are a press fit so they could actually be extended some or maybe even narrowed a wee bit more.

My pics from this morning. I removed the junky ESC/Rx combo and shaved the tray some. The cheap-o XYZ ESC has on ON/OFF switch that fits the original slot and bolt holes perfectly.

I'm Gorilla Glue-ing the servo in right now. I used GGlue for my Losi Micro rear steer as well as a couple of boats and it's held wonderfully. Just a long cure time and won't be 100% until late this afternoon.

The steering knuckles have these little tabs on them to limit them. I've shaved these off in hopes to get a lot more steering throw. But I won't know how bad it'll rub and/or bind until it's all together.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Wpl b-1

Flipping the leaf springs and mounts.

It has alleviated some of the bad angle but also butted up the driveshaft slip joint. The wheels are still centered up in the wheel wells. So I'll just need to trim the shaft some.

New increased steering throw.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Lol. My kids are laughing at this now, too. But I know it's for different reasons.

"Hey, bro. We got 2s power but it's only a 250mAh."

"WhoTF runs a 250 in a big bay like that? I could shove a 1200 in there easy. Hell, I've got a homeboy with a LS swap."

Old 10-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

So is it still a turd on 2s?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It scoots around pretty good. Crawling anything? Terrible. Running around my gravel driveway? Fine.

I've put a mg90 servo and a little 10a ESC.

I used the existing 'bent' link but I need to make one that's better. The throw is shorter to the left than the right because it makes contact with the leaf mount.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

There's a few threads over on RCG that may make some momentum. One Euro guy has plans to 3D print a new center skid that'll hold two of those geared motors like the Orlandoo runs and direct drive each axle. I remember there being a few 1/18 RC4WD D90s modded this way. But for this rig it's more of a band aid fix. The axles aren't good at all. They're OK at best. But I don't foresee any real usage without failures. There's a few guys on here that can make it happen that have or are getting one. I'll wait on a Redcat Everest 16 or look for a cheap clone equivalent and mod the drivetrain to this one. Then the tires/wheels won't scale right without going down to a 7mm hex.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I've pretty much decided to just let the kids use it as their tow rig for their 1/24 crawlers until something gives up the ghost. It just needs to drive across level concrete from the garage to our crawler course 50' away. After that, I'll probably follow your lead with a 1/16 donor car, I've got enough rc projects on my hands for the time being.

What's it look like for gearing? Can we just lower the gearing at the motor without getting too involved?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default Wpl b-1

I opened the tranny the first day but I didn't take any pics. The motor direct mounted to the side of the tranny and the shaft went inside where there was a press on pinion. All in a grease bath. Didn't look like any adjustments at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Does anyone know of a 5mm hex to 7mm hex adaptor? Or can design one on Shapeways? Something like the 12mm to 17mm to run 1/8 wheels.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
There's a few threads over on RCG that may make some momentum. One Euro guy has plans to 3D print a new center skid that'll hold two of those geared motors like the Orlandoo runs and direct drive each axle. I remember there being a few 1/18 RC4WD D90s modded this way. But for this rig it's more of a band aid fix. The axles aren't good at all. They're OK at best. But I don't foresee any real usage without failures. There's a few guys on here that can make it happen that have or are getting one. I'll wait on a Redcat Everest 16 or look for a cheap clone equivalent and mod the drivetrain to this one. Then the tires/wheels won't scale right without going down to a 7mm hex.

I was the guy who made some 3d printable parts for the RC4WD 1/18 D90 (available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2340970 )
including a dual motor mount.

I ordered up one of these from Aliexpress. and if it ships like most of my orders I will see it arrive between early November, and upward to September of next year

when it arrives I'll also be doing a tear down, and will VERY likely be creating some 3d printed parts for this, including a dual micro motor mount. I run it on my D90 setup and found it is great for crawling as it adds a transmission-level engine break. (well.. it prevents it from sliding at least)

I'll also be working on measuring up a few of the axles, rims, and other parts to make 3d printable versions, as I really want to use some of the 1" RC4WD tires on this. (Thinking dually!)

I'll make them all free to use online like the D90 parts, but I have ZERO idea when I'll get the truck or when I'll get to releasing the parts!

Quote:
Does anyone know of a 5mm hex to 7mm hex adaptor? Or can design one on Shapeways? Something like the 12mm to 17mm to run 1/8 wheels.
Whenever I get my hands on one of these I'll like my making a few rims for it that allow the 1" tires to mount to. They likely will NOT be beadlock, but at a 1" size it should be easy to glue'm. I may or may not try to make a printable beadlock rim eventually.

I release most of what i make for free on Thingiverse. If you don't own a printer you can find websites online that will print files from up-loaded STL files, for really cheap.

I don't really try to make money off making these models. i make them for myself and if they work out well i share them for free for other's to make themselves!
I don't have the software or high level of skill (in my opinion at least) to feel that they're worth charging money for. I am nowhere close to what Fungi is able to do. (no clue what happened to him, he isn't taking orders and seems to have disappeared recently)

if and when I get around to doing these I'll be posting a thread up on here, or if you have a thingiverse account you can follow me there as well. I don't jump to any other RC crawler forums really.

Last edited by Intashu; 10-12-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

How about a simple 5mm hex to 7mm hex adapter so that the 1" wheels can be used?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How about a simple 5mm hex to 7mm hex adapter so that the 1" wheels can be used?
You mean something simple like this:

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of a printed part that small however. and i have no clue how tall you'd want it. pictured is 3mm tall.

If you just mean that you need the end output to be a 7mm hex, I could (and likely would) make a whole new part to replace the plastic ends with a 7mm output. (assuming they're not too difficult to pull off and press printed parts on)

I'd need to wait till I got my hands on it to get all the measurements right, and print a couple test parts, but then that also allows me to make them with any offset I would want. The only real question at that point would be how durable a printed part would be at this task without snapping. Nothing 3d printed will really hold up great to the extreme crawling abuse I've seen on this forum. lol!

Last edited by Intashu; 10-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

That's it. 3-4mm would suffice. That'd get a set of 1" wheels going the quickest, easiest, and cheapest right now. Even if there are tolerance issues that small, they can be trimmed up with a hobby knife or shaved down using Emory cloth fairly easily.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's it. 3-4mm would suffice. That'd get a set of 1" wheels going the quickest, easiest, and cheapest right now. Even if there are tolerance issues that small, they can be trimmed up with a hobby knife or shaved down using Emory cloth fairly easily.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2583466

If you got a printer handy, here ya go! otherwise you'll have to send the STL to a printing site to ship you some.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Stumbled across these 130 motors for the Basher Rocksta in various turn counts. I don't know the original turn count for this WPL, but at least there may be some viable options.

12000-14300RPM
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/130-size...que-tuned.html

14300-17400
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/130-size...rev-tuned.html

17200-21200
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/130-size...per-dash-2.htm

23000-28000
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/130-size...-jet-dash.html

8000RPM @ 6v
https://www.banggood.com/R130-Motor-...p-1146624.html

Last edited by Brake Weight; 10-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.