RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Micro Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/)
-   -   WPL C14 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/593093-wpl-c14.html)

retro77 12-17-2018 05:15 PM

Re: WPL C14

Not to revive a super old thread, but figured I'd add my name to the list of those that dove in on the WPL line of micro scalers. I'm intending on this being for my 7 year old nephew and will upgrade/replace the things like the gears and axles as they break.

Ordered the blue C24 kit, 30A ESC, and this AUSTAR AX5, 3-channel radio and receiver. I want to put a cheap light controller [single circuit] on the 3rd channel.

I went high on the ESC to get the brake functionality and to put a 2S lipo in there. I'm looking at this Turnigy 1600mAh. I hadn't seen anyone link to a lipo that they are running. I plan on putting it in the stock battery location [under/behind the toolbox].

Thanks for any feedback those with the lipos can provide on fitment, runtime, any heat build up... "thumbsup"

kincer 12-17-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro77 (Post 5892785)
Not to revive a super old thread, but figured I'd add my name to the list of those that dove in on the WPL line of micro scalers. I'm intending on this being for my 7 year old nephew and will upgrade/replace the things like the gears and axles as they break.

Ordered the blue C24 kit, 30A ESC, and this AUSTAR AX5, 3-channel radio and receiver. I want to put a cheap light controller [single circuit] on the 3rd channel.

I went high on the ESC to get the brake functionality and to put a 2S lipo in there. I'm looking at this Turnigy 1600mAh. I hadn't seen anyone link to a lipo that they are running. I plan on putting it in the stock battery location [under/behind the toolbox].

Thanks for any feedback those with the lipos can provide on fitment, runtime, any heat build up... "thumbsup"

These things are pretty cool and decent once you tweak them a bit, that battery should work but not sure size wise but you will need to solder a new batter connector on it, they sell a 1000 mah at Hobbyking that has the correct jst battery connector on it though.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-2s1p-20c.html

retro77 12-17-2018 11:36 PM

Thanks for that Kincer. I might wait until the truck arrives so I can measure the space and size one up. I was thinking of switching everything to Deans plugs to match my existing stuff. So that the whole family's trucks and batteries are pretty interchangeable. So far its me and my sister, but trying to get a crawler in everyone's hands :ror:

Brake Weight 12-18-2018 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro77 (Post 5892863)
Thanks for that Kincer. I might wait until the truck arrives so I can measure the space and size one up. I was thinking of switching everything to Deans plugs to match my existing stuff. So that the whole family's trucks and batteries are pretty interchangeable. So far its me and my sister, but trying to get a crawler in everyone's hands :ror:

Buried in one of the C14 threads is the size of the battery box. GLW finding it.

retro77 12-18-2018 08:08 AM

I'll keep searching Brake Weight, thanks.

kincer 12-18-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro77 (Post 5892952)
I'll keep searching Brake Weight, thanks.

If I get time tonight I will measure my battery box and post up dimensions.

Tennesseetommy81 12-18-2018 08:22 AM

Has anyone bought the metal axles for these yet just curious if they're worth it

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

kincer 12-18-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennesseetommy81 (Post 5892960)
Has anyone bought the metal axles for these yet just curious if they're worth it

Do you mean the metal cases?

Brake Weight 12-18-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennesseetommy81 (Post 5892960)

Weight wise they may be worth it. Depends on how hard you wanna crawl it.

kincer 12-18-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5892971)
Weight wise they may be worth it. Depends on how hard you wanna crawl it.

I had them in my cart but after watching about 50 YouTube videos of these things running, I changed my mind, the guys that had them modified with metal gears etc were doing pretty decent with stock housings. Time will tell though as I only received one truck so far, still waiting on the c14 and all the upgrades. Hopefully I can finish up my panhard tonight on the c24 if my rod ends show up.

chevyfried 12-18-2018 09:06 AM

Does anyone weigh their wheels down? Sand or water or anything?

Do the wheels need foams? Super glue tires on?

kincer 12-18-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5892978)

I put bb's in mine, 30 in the front and 25 in the back, don't know how well it's gonna work it's an experiment. I do have the clamp together wheel weights on the way as well. The RTR tires don't need glue but the soft kit tires do need to be glued.

chevyfried 12-18-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5892989)
I put bb's in mine, 30 in the front and 25 in the back, don't know how well it's gonna work it's an experiment. I do have the clamp together wheel weights on the way as well. The RTR tires don't need glue but the soft kit tires do need to be glued.

Are the BBs just for weight or do they help with bite also?

The 3d printed wheels I made are significantly heavier than the stock ones. 11.3g vs 5.7g respectively. That should help some.

Shape_Shifter 12-18-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5892978)

I weight the wheels of all my trucks, big and small. Get some "lead wire" - usually found in sporting goods stores near fishing weights. It comes in various sizes and thickness. Remove the tire and wrap as many strands as you can on the outer face of the wheel (where a foam donut would go). I usually glue it with a few spots of Shoe Goo or similar. Then stretch the tire over the wheel and boom - scale driving and crawling.

Before I discovered lead wire, I used lead shot. I just got tired of little lead beebees all over my workbench. Also bebees can cause some weird wobbling when rolling.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...911/VgCmVx.jpg

kincer 12-18-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5892997)
Are the BBs just for weight or do they help with bite also?

The 3d printed wheels I made are significantly heavier than the stock ones. 11.3g vs 5.7g respectively. That should help some.

It's an experiment for weight, have no idea how it's going to work. Theoretically the weight will always be down low so that should help keep it planted and hopefully bite better too. It'll be probably be the middle of January before I can try it out as I have no esc yet. Tracking says flight landed in the country but that means nothing lol.

kincer 12-18-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter (Post 5892999)
I weight the wheels of all my trucks, big and small. Get some "lead wire" - usually found in sporting goods stores near fishing weights. It comes in various sizes and thickness. Remove the tire and wrap as many strands as you can on the outer face of the wheel (where a foam donut would go). I usually glue it with a few spots of Shoe Goo or similar. Then stretch the tire over the wheel and boom - scale driving and crawling.

Before I discovered lead wire, I used lead shot. I just got tired of little lead beebees all over my workbench. Also bebees can cause some weird wobbling when rolling.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...911/VgCmVx.jpg

Never thought of that for these little rigs, I use stick on wheel weights for my 1/10 stuff but they are too big for these.

chevyfried 12-18-2018 12:13 PM

Those are some great ideas, thank you all for your posts. Even if that lead wire is big, wrapping it once is still a possibility.

Below are pictures of the axles built with the metal upgrade kit. Obviously it didnt come with directions, so the bronze flanges mystified me on where they went until I fit them in to the hub carriers and the turnbuckle. Can you let me know if they look installed correctly?

https://i.imgur.com/GEbTbUJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z1lub61.jpg

Shape_Shifter 12-18-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5893068)
Those are some great ideas, thank you all for your posts. Even if that lead wire is big, wrapping it once is still a possibility.

Below are pictures of the axles built with the metal upgrade kit. Obviously it didnt come with directions, so the bronze flanges mystified me on where they went until I fit them in to the hub carriers and the turnbuckle. Can you let me know if they look installed correctly?

The look right to me "thumbsup"

Brake Weight 12-18-2018 08:33 PM

Small copper wire from Hobby Lobby works well and weight wise is about as good as it gets.

chevyfried 12-19-2018 12:08 PM

Got my Punisher diff covers painted. Came out just as I was hoping they would.

https://i.imgur.com/z0q6toN.jpg