RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Micro Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/)
-   -   WPL C14 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/593093-wpl-c14.html)

kincer 01-10-2019 08:03 AM

Re: WPL C14

Looks like the same links I got. Not bad price wise I also prefer hex myself.

chevyfried 01-10-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5899450)
Looks like the same links I got. Not bad price wise I also prefer hex myself.

I bought one of those m2, m2.5, m3, m4 hardware kits off amazon, will just use those.

chevyfried 01-11-2019 07:21 AM

Just an FYI, a Corona DS238mg servo will drop right in and has impressive torque:

Specs:
Model: DS238MG
Operating Voltage: 4.8V / 6.0V
Operating Current: 300mA / 400mA
Operating Speed: 0.15sec.60º/ 0.14sec.60º
Stall Torque: 4kg.cm / 4.6kg.cm
Size: 29X13X30mm
Weight: 22g
Dead Band: ≤3uSec
Operating Travel: 40º/one side pulse traveling 400us
Potentiometer: 3 slider/Direct Drive
Ball bearing: MR106
Gear: Metal
Gear Type: Digital
Motor: Brushless
Connector wire: 215mm
Operating Temperature Range: -20c ~ +60c
Spline count: 25

chevyfried 01-14-2019 06:57 AM

Had my first crawling session today at Markham Park in South Florida. It was fun, got one nice video of my son driving it on a seesaw.

2 beefs with the 2 speed.
1) It really doesnt need to be 2 speeds. The high gear provides more than enough torque to handle any situation the low gear can.
2) It hangs wayyyyy too low and gets caught on everything

Other than that, the truck performed excellent. I did not break anything. It took more than a few 2-3 foot tumbles. You will hear in the video, the steering cranked all the way left clicks. I don't know what it's from yet, but will update later once I take the wheels off and see what is going on.

Can't figure out how to embed the video, so here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hDHvo9FwM

kincer 01-14-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5900637)
Had my first crawling session today at Markham Park in South Florida. It was fun, got one nice video of my son driving it on a seesaw.

2 beefs with the 2 speed.
1) It really doesnt need to be 2 speeds. The high gear provides more than enough torque to handle any situation the low gear can.
2) It hangs wayyyyy too low and gets caught on everything

Other than that, the truck performed excellent. I did not break anything. It took more than a few 2-3 foot tumbles. You will hear in the video, the steering cranked all the way left clicks. I don't know what it's from yet, but will update later once I take the wheels off and see what is going on.

Can't figure out how to embed the video, so here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hDHvo9FwM

The 2 speed is my favorite so far, I tried the dual N30's last night and I'm not a fan, way too slow. I'm ordering a 12 volt 180 motor I found to try with stock transmission to see if it's in the range I'm looking for, I'll keep you posted.

chevyfried 01-14-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5900640)
The 2 speed is my favorite so far, I tried the dual N30's last night and I'm not a fan, way too slow. I'm ordering a 12 volt 180 motor I found to try with stock transmission to see if it's in the range I'm looking for, I'll keep you posted.

The 370 is the way to go. 180s in my opinion are still too weak. You can get some really high rpm ones made for Nerf Blasters, but they still have heardly any torque.

chevyfried 01-14-2019 08:57 AM

BTW forgot to mention my OEM WPL 2 speed servo froze. I could not even manually turn it. Replaced with a Hitec HS55 servo.

kincer 01-14-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyfried (Post 5900667)
The 370 is the way to go. 180s in my opinion are still too weak. You can get some really high rpm ones made for Nerf Blasters, but they still have heardly any torque.

Good to know, that's what I was gonna order and it was $14, I'm just gonna go with the 2 speed or the all metal transmission with the 370 motors for my C14 and my two D90's. I took it out in my rock garden this morning and it did fantastic, it made it all the way even with that 2 speed hanging low, that is way better than I ever thought it would do so that's good enough for me. I thought about moving that 2 speed up some but I like where the battery goes and I don't really want to cut up the battery tray and lose that. It goes good enough for me. These are just too play with in the yard and make a little course in the woods. I got my 1/10 stuff for the all out crawling. It was super impressive in those rocks though, I'm thrilled with it!"thumbsup"

Shape_Shifter 01-14-2019 12:15 PM

The higher the RPM, the less torque at a given voltage. FYI

kincer 01-15-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze (Post 5898750)
Put the link here if you find it. I'd like to see what he did as well.

Ok I found what I was looking for and it doesn't pertain to this truck, he was mixing and matching parts for that new D90 that's similar to the WPL trucks. Anyhow I have the same upgrade kit as you bought and installed it today in my C14, I see what you mean by the binding, however I did a little experiment and measured my stock steering angle on my C24 which I got a little more angle by shaving off the little stops off the knuckles, the point at which the upgraded stuff starts binding is slightly more angle than the stock setup, so it will have just a hair more than stock before binding. Just be sure to set your endpoints and you'll be good shape. My stock setup C24 steers great so the upgraded setup in the C14 should be just a hair better.

CD02 01-17-2019 04:20 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and Just ordered my C14. I have other RC's but not crawlers (Redcat, ECX, Wltoys...) Anyways, I like the info I have been finding here, so I figured I should stay. I recently found a video about fitting 1.0" RC4WD tires on the stock wheels. They looked a bit skinny but performed miraculously. And there are more options than the 1.5"

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlNQeHJrRc&t=2s

Tires link: https://store.rc4wd.com/10-Tires_c_599.html

kincer 01-17-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5901224)
Ok I found what I was looking for and it doesn't pertain to this truck, he was mixing and matching parts for that new D90 that's similar to the WPL trucks. Anyhow I have the same upgrade kit as you bought and installed it today in my C14, I see what you mean by the binding, however I did a little experiment and measured my stock steering angle on my C24 which I got a little more angle by shaving off the little stops off the knuckles, the point at which the upgraded stuff starts binding is slightly more angle than the stock setup, so it will have just a hair more than stock before binding. Just be sure to set your endpoints and you'll be good shape. My stock setup C24 steers great so the upgraded setup in the C14 should be just a hair better.

Update

The kit I bought with the black steel ring and pinion is garbage, all of it fits and works great except for the dogbones and the cups, it binds up and there isn't anything that can be done about it, I first thought that maybe the dogbone went too far into the cup so I put a little M2 nut inside the cup and tried that, no luck! No matter what you do it will just randomly lock up the front end, I dropped my endpoints back to 65% and it will run good but it doesn't turn for crap! My stock steering setup on my C24 works fantastic so that's what it's gonna be for this truck too for now, it's a shame because all of it was really nice and fit great, it needs a redesign on the dogbones and cups though, chevyfried bought a different kit than me so maybe he will chime and let us know if he has any binding issues.

soze 01-17-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5901980)
Update

The kit I bought with the black steel ring and pinion is garbage, all of it fits and works great except for the dogbones and the cups, it binds up and there isn't anything that can be done about it, I first thought that maybe the dogbone went too far into the cup so I put a little M2 nut inside the cup and tried that, no luck! No matter what you do it will just randomly lock up the front end, I dropped my endpoints back to 65% and it will run good but it doesn't turn for crap! My stock steering setup on my C24 works fantastic so that's what it's gonna be for this truck too for now, it's a shame because all of it was really nice and fit great, it needs a redesign on the dogbones and cups though, chevyfried bought a different kit than me so maybe he will chime and let us know if he has any binding issues.

Yep... that was my issue too.

kincer 01-17-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5901975)
Hi everyone, I'm new here and Just ordered my C14. I have other RC's but not crawlers (Redcat, ECX, Wltoys...) Anyways, I like the info I have been finding here, so I figured I should stay. I recently found a video about fitting 1.0" RC4WD tires on the stock wheels. They looked a bit skinny but performed miraculously. And there are more options than the 1.5"

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlNQeHJrRc&t=2s

Tires link: https://store.rc4wd.com/10-Tires_c_599.html

Sorry I skipped over you, anyhow welcome to the forum, these WPL trucks are pretty cool but are a work in process, the newer ones are way better than the old ones but they still need some tweaking, my C24 is basically stock, it came with a servo which works pretty decent, also they are now putting in brass ring and pinion gears, I am running a Hobbywing 1625 esc on 3s, 2 speed tranny, wheel weights in the front, upgraded steering links, metal driveshafts, and a hacked Flysky radio. It runs great but took some tweaking to get it there.

CD02 01-17-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5901988)
Sorry I skipped over you, anyhow welcome to the forum, these WPL trucks are pretty cool but are a work in process, the newer ones are way better than the old ones but they still need some tweaking, my C24 is basically stock, it came with a servo which works pretty decent, also they are now putting in brass ring and pinion gears, I am running a Hobbywing 1625 esc on 3s, 2 speed tranny, wheel weights in the front, upgraded steering links, metal driveshafts, and a hacked Flysky radio. It runs great but took some tweaking to get it there.

So the c24 comes with brass drivetrain gears?

kincer 01-17-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5901989)
So the c24 comes with brass drivetrain gears?

All of latest batches of trucks come with the brass gears C14 and C24, if you get one with plastic you got an older one.

CD02 01-17-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5901991)
All of latest batches of trucks come with the brass gears C14 and C24, if you get one with plastic you got an older one.

I bought mine off of banggood. Is it the newer version? I mean, It shows plastic gears in the pics but they might be reusing older ver pics

Link: https://www.banggood.com/WPL-C14-2_4...r_warehouse=CN

kincer 01-17-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5901992)
I bought mine off of banggood. Is it the newer version?

Link: https://www.banggood.com/WPL-C14-2_4...r_warehouse=CN

There is really no way to know til you get it, if it has a servo and brass gears it's from a new batch. If it doesn't get these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Gear-...r/273372625747

and a mg90s servo and you'll be off to a good start.

Also if the transmission is tan, it's the newer version. It's geared a little different for more torque.

CD02 01-17-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5901995)
There is really no way to know til you get it, if it has a servo and brass gears it's from a new batch. If it doesn't get these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Gear-...r/273372625747

and a mg90s servo and you'll be off to a good start.

I am really hoping it is, It would be highly convenient. Do you know who for sure carries the newer version?

kincer 01-17-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5901997)
I am really hoping it is, It would be highly convenient. Do you know who for sure carries the newer version?

My C24 from Amazon was the updated version, my C14 from Banggood was also updated, however it came with brass pinions and plastic ring gears, somebody goofed there, i'm guessing. I ordered that from Banggood in early December so you'll probably get the newer version.