RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Micro Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/)
-   -   WPL C14 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/593093-wpl-c14.html)

Shaniqua 02-10-2019 10:15 PM

Re: WPL C14

Just found this thread. Been on another forum

Recieved my first one c24 a few weeks ago and my second last week c14

I read and read and watched videos for about 2 weeks before biting the bullet and I bit it hard.

So far my upgrades are

Full metal adjustable links and steering links, robot arm looking metal axle housing, metal driveline upgrade, bead lock metal wheels, rc4wd mud tires (1.2 but they are smaller that stock) oil shocks (57mm), metal transfer case x2, 370 high torque motor with the planetary gears from the transfer case, traxxas titan 18T 380, and 7.2v batteries (might go to 18650, the nickels are heavy and bulky), upgraded wpl metal servo, metal cross bar and servo mount, 30a esc w/brake, gts3b transmitter

So with all the metal undercarriage, once tweaked, is bullet proof. I plan to direct drive the traxxas motor and see if I can get to 50 mph lol, that's going on the c24 "show truck" (candy red paint, detailed interior, red matching suspension bits and wheels)

But to be honest stock was a blast with the kit motor and servo, until the gears stripped. I think once I get my shocks softer the show truck will be fun at crawling, but for now it's just a screaming demon.

Fyi locktite your gear screws. I've had to tear it apart 7 times to re do the ring gear and transfer case gears

CD02 02-11-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaniqua (Post 5909341)
Just found this thread. Been on another forum

Recieved my first one c24 a few weeks ago and my second last week c14

I read and read and watched videos for about 2 weeks before biting the bullet and I bit it hard.

So far my upgrades are

Full metal adjustable links and steering links, robot arm looking metal axle housing, metal driveline upgrade, bead lock metal wheels, rc4wd mud tires (1.2 but they are smaller that stock) oil shocks (57mm), metal transfer case x2, 370 high torque motor with the planetary gears from the transfer case, traxxas titan 18T 380, and 7.2v batteries (might go to 18650, the nickels are heavy and bulky), upgraded wpl metal servo, metal cross bar and servo mount, 30a esc w/brake, gts3b transmitter

So with all the metal undercarriage, once tweaked, is bullet proof. I plan to direct drive the traxxas motor and see if I can get to 50 mph lol, that's going on the c24 "show truck" (candy red paint, detailed interior, red matching suspension bits and wheels)

But to be honest stock was a blast with the kit motor and servo, until the gears stripped. I think once I get my shocks softer the show truck will be fun at crawling, but for now it's just a screaming demon.

Fyi locktite your gear screws. I've had to tear it apart 7 times to re do the ring gear and transfer case gears

I'd like to know about the shocks you used. Are the RC4WD tires better in grip than the stock tires? I know the compound is softer and stickier but the tread pattern plays a big part on surfaces that give away easily such as mud and snow.

CD02 02-11-2019 11:19 AM

I have been having trouble with my motor after the mud run. It acts really twitchy on low throttle. I wired a capacitor to it (not sure if there is a specific direction) to the motor and nothing has changed. The reverse is twitchy as well but even on full throttle. I don't think it's the ESC because it didn't get wet or damaged. I also waterproofed the receiver and speed controller before I built the truck to be safe. Any ideas on what to do to fix it?

Shaniqua 02-11-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5909463)
I'd like to know about the shocks you used. Are the RC4WD tires better in grip than the stock tires? I know the compound is softer and stickier but the tread pattern plays a big part on surfaces that give away easily such as mud and snow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FF...mob_b_pd_title

Those are the shocks. 57mm between holes. They fit perfect with the shock baskets with the 9 holes.

The rc4wd tires look great and drive great, but are skinnier than normal. For crawling I'm probably going to go with the kit. They grip real good but are good bit skinnier.

CD02 02-11-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaniqua (Post 5909490)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FF...mob_b_pd_title

Those are the shocks. 57mm between holes. They fit perfect with the shock baskets with the 9 holes.

The rc4wd tires look great and drive great, but are skinnier than normal. For crawling I'm probably going to go with the kit. They grip real good but are good bit skinnier.

Thank you. I would imagine that as they are smaller, they would allow more suspension travel without rubbing.

JerryIRacer 02-11-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5909496)
Thank you. I would imagine that as they are smaller, they would allow more suspension travel without rubbing.

I am not sure these are the same tires you are talking about. I have a set of 1" rc4wd scrambler tires . You can see them installed on my truck on prev page. They are an 1/8 shorter and maybe 3/16 skinnier and ridiculously soft and sticky. They are so soft that without foam inserts they go flat under truck's weight. They will make a great material for double rears when my Gaz 66 finally arrives.

Shaniqua, thanks for sharing. Please share some photos too. All I need is a little nudge to do the same thing - I mean go full metal on the bottom. Good tip on the motor too. It seems there is not much of a choice in 300 size can.

Shaniqua 02-11-2019 04:25 PM

The tires I got were 1.2 from rc4wd. The list on ebay and their website. The ones I got are about 1mm shorter 3/4 the width of stock, which is is a whole 25% decrease on the footprint.

It took me 3 days of tinkering to settle the metal suspension and get it all even. But it does allow for a massive lift if your driveshafts can handle it

CD02 02-11-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaniqua (Post 5909574)
The tires I got were 1.2 from rc4wd. The list on ebay and their website. The ones I got are about 1mm shorter 3/4 the width of stock, which is is a whole 25% decrease on the footprint.

It took me 3 days of tinkering to settle the metal suspension and get it all even. But it does allow for a massive lift if your driveshafts can handle it

This may be a dumb question but is the number (1.2) indicating the inner diameter that will fit on the wheel or is it sidewall height?

JerryIRacer 02-11-2019 05:55 PM

Yes it is inner tire diameter or outer rim diameter. BTW rc4wd store lists detailed measurements of all their tires, so you can check how tight they are going to be, and guess on clearances and what not...

Shaniqua 02-11-2019 06:02 PM

Yea I learned the measure all RC tires by wheel size not tire size. And yes, their website is very very detailed. Even going in depth as to show offsets for wheels on popular axles

CD02 02-12-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaniqua (Post 5909606)
Yea I learned the measure all RC tires by wheel size not tire size. And yes, their website is very very detailed. Even going in depth as to show offsets for wheels on popular axles

I just noticed that they display the outer diameter, inner diameter, width, and weight lower in the page. I am interested in the dirt grabbers and the rock crushers. Which fits better? The 1.2 or 1.0?

Brake Weight 02-12-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5909695)
I just noticed that they display the outer diameter, inner diameter, width, and weight lower in the page. I am interested in the dirt grabbers and the rock crushers. Which fits better? The 1.2 or 1.0?

What size wheel are you putting it onto?

CD02 02-12-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5909708)
What size wheel are you putting it onto?

The stock c14 wheel.

JerryIRacer 02-12-2019 12:30 PM

None of your mentioned in 1" size is tall enough to be WPL replacement. Those fit the rims but look too small. In 1" size only Scrambler is tall enough being about 1/8 shorter than stock. I know because I have bought Scramblers and one other set 1.89" OD - it looks like caricature.. I dont know how 1.2" tires fit - comparing my rims measurements to rc4wd page specs it seems they all fit but may need gluing to stay in place.

Shaniqua 02-13-2019 12:01 AM

My 1.2 tires fit stock wheels just fine. Better than the kit tires (as far as staying on the bead)

CD02 02-13-2019 08:05 AM

I just wrecked the front and rear ring gears for my C14. (I had fun though) What is the cheapest way to fix it? they have a set of brass upgraded axles for $10 on banggood. Does anyone sell just the gears?

kincer 02-13-2019 08:14 AM

You can get brass gears separate from Banggood but you'll need to drill out the center a bit to get them over the stock axles and also you'll have to grind a flat for the set screw to seat. Best bet is get the axles with the brass ring and pinion already in place. My C24 is still going strong with the stock brass.

CD02 02-13-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5910018)
You can get brass gears separate from Banggood but you'll need to drill out the center a bit to get them over the stock axles and also you'll have to grind a flat for the set screw to seat. Best bet is get the axles with the brass ring and pinion already in place. My C24 is still going strong with the stock brass.

Okay, thanks. I just bought a new servo for it as well. I am going to run the stock one until it breaks though.

kincer 02-13-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD02 (Post 5910020)
Okay, thanks. I just bought a new servo for it as well. I am going to run the stock one until it breaks though.

Im still rockin the stock servo too, got 6 MG90s servos on the shelf haven't needed them yet.

Shaniqua 02-13-2019 09:02 AM

http://imgur.com/dyYfMjw

http://imgur.com/u8YPrkO

http://imgur.com/QCOHzaP

http://imgur.com/pZXG32D

http://imgur.com/Ri8Q6bi