Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: WPL C14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #461
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: WPL C14

My WPL will be down again for a couple of months while i wait for a new transmission to arrive :P So in the meantime I might as well rebuild and/or paint it. I was also curious to see if I could build a solid rear axle drag car with a rear WPL axle. I think it would be fun and challenging enough. I just need a donor chassis.
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #462
Rock Crawler

Found-out something interesting afa the “dogbone-horror” goes.

The shafts that are in the complete bb&dogbone set, are too long at the ends (or the bones not drilled deep enough for the shaft)
I was scratching my head why the front wheels hopped like mad at steep steering angles, loosened, refit oodles of times. Then I noticed there was a space in the axle-housings to push the collar of the bones ( the part where the grub-screwgoes) in deeper.... if it wasn’t for that bloody too long shaft....

A quick cut of 0.5mm and the bones fell nicely into a milled-out looking piece of the axle-housings jůst in front of the outer bearings. lo’ and behold. It now steers!! Not as extreme as with cvd’s, but good enough for me.

Just something to look over when wrestling with those cursed dogbones.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #463
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Found-out something interesting afa the “dogbone-horror” goes.

The shafts that are in the complete bb&dogbone set, are too long at the ends (or the bones not drilled deep enough for the shaft)
I was scratching my head why the front wheels hopped like mad at steep steering angles, loosened, refit oodles of times. Then I noticed there was a space in the axle-housings to push the collar of the bones ( the part where the grub-screwgoes) in deeper.... if it wasn’t for that bloody too long shaft....

A quick cut of 0.5mm and the bones fell nicely into a milled-out looking piece of the axle-housings jůst in front of the outer bearings. lo’ and behold. It now steers!! Not as extreme as with cvd’s, but good enough for me.

Just something to look over when wrestling with those cursed dogbones.
I might just end up getting those cheap CVD's for like $13 on eBay. I am ordering a C24 so I can go with two different setups. I converted my c14 to a Ford Raptor. I am waiting on the gear box and it'll be running.

I also made some videos with my c14 while it was still a Toyota: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcaGOCWtRF8
Old 05-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #464
Rock Stacker

My C24 has been just put back together after 4 weeks of sitting disassembled on the bench. I am scrapping plans of converting it to leaf springs. They are simply not smooth and precise enough. Also I cant find suitable oil filled shocks.

You guys were right about my metal driveshafts. One of the grub screws failed making it FWD... The other one I had to drill out as allen wrench stripped it.

I have ordered some metal differential parts again. Here is a pack I went with:
Metal-Universal-Joint-Steering-Drive-Shaft-for-MN-D90-D91-WPL-B14-B24-B16-C14
It is a good set. It bolts into plastic housings, it includes metal knuckles, all bearings, extra screws to cover all situations. Very nice. Improves turning radius and spins so freely that it takes time to wind down after throttle release.

BTW I am thinking about getting rid of Gaz. I am not happy with it stock, I am not impressed by recommended upgraded leafs, dual wheels are sticking out, there is no good way to run wiring. I just cant get warm to it...
JerryIRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 AM   #465
Rock Crawler

Ooff.. that metal set looks fantastic. I might go the same route. Currently building ( or, rather re-building) the Willy’s Jeep, and it could do with a proper set of metal innards.

Everything fitted without hiccups? No hand-fitting or dremeling needed?
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #466
Pebble Pounder

I just finished the modifications to my C14. I will miss the Toyota body, but I can put it on my C24 if I really want to. I built it for my son to drive when we go out to the park or something. I figured it was a great first RC. I made a video too. I basically swapped the body with a Ford Raptor. I fused the two chassis together and it looks pretty good.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJy...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #467
Pebble Pounder

I just found a new metal gear gearbox for WPL!!! It's available for pre-order now. I think it's another 2 speed too!

Link: https://www.banggood.com/URUAV-WPL-1...r_warehouse=CN

Last edited by CD02; 05-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #468
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Ooff.. that metal set looks fantastic. I might go the same route. Currently building ( or, rather re-building) the Willy’s Jeep, and it could do with a proper set of metal innards.

Everything fitted without hiccups? No hand-fitting or dremeling needed?
There was one. Wheel bearings were not fitting over spindles. But they are aluminum so spinning them while wrapped in fine sand paper was enough. There is no manual, not even a diagram so it takes few tries to get pars in right order. I recommend assembling it once then taking it apart and using thread locker on final assembly.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #469
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
I just found a new metal gear gearbox for WPL!!! It's available for pre-order now. I think it's another 2 speed too!

Link: https://www.banggood.com/URUAV-WPL-1...r_warehouse=CN

I think it is metal gear set for existing 2 speeds. That transparent case has the same shape
Old 05-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #470
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIRacer View Post
I think it is metal gear set for existing 2 speeds. That transparent case has the same shape
That makes sense as they put "Metal gear set, for speed change gear box" This actually made me consider getting the 2 speed over the full metal gearbox

Last edited by CD02; 05-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #471
Rock Stacker

Some new gearboxes are being released into the wild.
Like this one full metal 2 speed. Unfortunately it is the same layout most likely interfering with C14/C24 suspension links. One can dream about relocating motor under the hood and having compact 2 speed in original toyota transmission location and small transfer case right in the middle of the chassis.
Some bits are available but good compact 2 speed is not.
Motor Relocating kit
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #472
Rock Stacker

Looks like WPL just made the new C34 gearbox/motor available seperately:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WPL-...cd7c3b8bd2b520
TheSubaruJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #473
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie View Post
Looks like WPL just made the new C34 gearbox/motor available seperately:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WPL-...cd7c3b8bd2b520
That looks like a pretty good option to me. Might even be a good start to a forward motor setup also... Might have to buy one and try and CAD something up...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #474
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
That looks like a pretty good option to me. Might even be a good start to a forward motor setup also... Might have to buy one and try and CAD something up...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yeah I will be waiting for the price to drop before I order mine. I might get the whole C34 metal kit so I can also get the metal axles, shafts, links and updated chassis.
TheSubaruJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #475
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Some new gearboxes are being released into the wild.
Like this one full metal 2 speed. Unfortunately it is the same layout most likely interfering with C14/C24 suspension links. One can dream about relocating motor under the hood and having compact 2 speed in original toyota transmission location and small transfer case right in the middle of the chassis.
Some bits are available but good compact 2 speed is not.
Motor Relocating kit
So basically the more professional version of what this guy did, except for the 2 speed bit. It looks like you can just get a WLtoys A959 motor mount instead of buying that whole metal gearbox

link: https://youtu.be/6IotrtmTkos

Last edited by CD02; 05-23-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #476
Rock Stacker

Some novel ideas in that video. I like the way he hacks
Thanks for sharing
Old 06-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #477
Rock Stacker

I have crossed to the dark side.

Sure it is fast but I am missing low throttle control. Hopefully I will be able to produce some kind of video before it explodes.

I had it apart so many times that screws fail to grab any more. I am thinking about migrating all my good parts into a new kit.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #478
Rock Stacker

This is early mock up showing ESC placement. There is still room for a fan I had to cut away good part of servo/electronics tray and completely weakened it up in the process. Structural hot glue is what keeps it from falling apart.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #479
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have crossed to the dark side.

Sure it is fast but I am missing low throttle control. Hopefully I will be able to produce some kind of video before it explodes.

I had it apart so many times that screws fail to grab any more. I am thinking about migrating all my good parts into a new kit.
You know, that was my plan for my C24 when I get one. I ordered it off of banggood (US warehouse) and it was on backorder. So I cancelled it hoping to find it somewhere else with faster shipping. In the meantime, my C14 Raptor is down, The rear driveshaft snapped. I guess that big Ford was just too much, It'll be a while til I get it working anyways. I might buy a C24 or C34 soon though.

Also, be careful with those ESCs around water, it wouldn't hurt to take it apart and give it a quick coat of conformal coating.

Last edited by CD02; 06-06-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 PM   #480
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
You know, that was my plan for my C24 when I get one. I ordered it off of banggood (US warehouse) and it was on backorder. So I cancelled it hoping to find it somewhere else with faster shipping. In the meantime, my C14 Raptor is down, The rear driveshaft snapped. I guess that big Ford was just too much, It'll be a while til I get it working anyways. I might buy a C24 or C34 soon though.

Also, be careful with those ESCs around water, it wouldn't hurt to take it apart and give it a quick coat of conformal coating.
Jury is still out, drive train did not explode yet, but its min speed in low gear is way too fast and it jerks forward from a stand still. I am yet to try changing battery from 3s to 2s to check if it becomes tame enough. In high gear I could not hold full throttle for more than split second, and did not get it to top speed yet. Problem is, even with reduced bump steer, there is enough steering angle change to exceed trucks ability to stay wheels down. At high speeds slight suspension compression can initiate rollover. I should have picked up lower kV motor and different ESC. 2440 did not fit without cutting into electronics tray. 2445 3000kV would take additional 5mm probably resting against servos back.
I dont know if I want to keep experimenting... but if any one has any suggestions on how to slow it down a bit and make it more controllable and low speeds I would really appreciate some know how...

Just for the record, I have bought ESC and motor separately and picked up programmer card at the same time. Those motors are usually bundled with 25A ESC and lower kV are safe only with 2s batteries. My intention was to use it with 3s so beefier ESC seemed a reasonable choice. Programming it to soft start and min neutral range was not enough of improvement.

I know a short video would be helpful to illustrate what am I rambling about. I hope to find some time this weekend.

Water resistance is not exactly top priority yet...

WPL C14 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WPL B-1 Brake Weight Micro Scale Rigs 73 07-12-2019 09:53 AM
WPL-B24(Gaz) information sangyue Micro Scale Rigs 21 03-10-2018 06:50 PM
Fuzzy's WPL B-1 fuzzy1 Micro Scale Rigs 2 01-07-2018 06:28 PM
Intashu's WPL B-1 Intashu Micro Scale Rigs 6 11-25-2017 08:50 PM