Notices

Thread: WPL C14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #481
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: WPL C14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIRacer View Post
Jury is still out, drive train did not explode yet, but its min speed in low gear is way too fast and it jerks forward from a stand still. I am yet to try changing battery from 3s to 2s to check if it becomes tame enough. In high gear I could not hold full throttle for more than split second, and did not get it to top speed yet. Problem is, even with reduced bump steer, there is enough steering angle change to exceed trucks ability to stay wheels down. At high speeds slight suspension compression can initiate rollover. I should have picked up lower kV motor and different ESC. 2440 did not fit without cutting into electronics tray. 2445 3000kV would take additional 5mm probably resting against servos back.
I dont know if I want to keep experimenting... but if any one has any suggestions on how to slow it down a bit and make it more controllable and low speeds I would really appreciate some know how...

Just for the record, I have bought ESC and motor separately and picked up programmer card at the same time. Those motors are usually bundled with 25A ESC and lower kV are safe only with 2s batteries. My intention was to use it with 3s so beefier ESC seemed a reasonable choice. Programming it to soft start and min neutral range was not enough of improvement.

I know a short video would be helpful to illustrate what am I rambling about. I hope to find some time this weekend.

Water resistance is not exactly top priority yet...
If you really want to have that as a setup, you could go with a lower KV motor and the metal 2-speed gears. It should hold up and be 'crawlable'. What's funny is I planned on throwing in a 7200kv motor in mine.

Last edited by CD02; 06-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #482
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
If you really want to have that as a setup, you could go with a lower KV motor and the metal 2-speed gears. It should hold up and be 'crawlable'. What's funny is I planned on throwing in a 7200kv motor in mine.
It is hard to find anything low kV in that size. What I figured I am going to try is smaller motor rated a bit higher at 4500kV. Hopefully its not kV problem but overall power problem. 2440 has just too much torque and whole WPL drive train and its mass means nothing to it... 7200kV would easily be beyond undrivable.

I have shot some footage but its quality is so low I am not sharing.
JerryIRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #483
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
It is hard to find anything low kV in that size. What I figured I am going to try is smaller motor rated a bit higher at 4500kV. Hopefully its not kV problem but overall power problem. 2440 has just too much torque and whole WPL drive train and its mass means nothing to it... 7200kV would easily be beyond undrivable.

I have shot some footage but its quality is so low I am not sharing.
Since it's geared down so low,The higher KV is definitely going to be faster. I think the quicrun 16bl30 esc has more programming options. If you have access to a 3D printer, you could adress the KV problem too. You could put an outrunner motor on the two speed gearbox. Here is a video on this guy's outrunner setup.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxntdh72xTA
3d print Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3337848
Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #484
I wanna be Dave

Higher kV will make the brushless motor cog. It will stutter and likely need a push start. Not good for crawling. If you had that 380 size transmission then you could run a 28mm motor. Lowest I remember seeing way back was around 3000kV, I think. Even that would not be a crawler.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #485
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Higher kV will make the brushless motor cog. It will stutter and likely need a push start. Not good for crawling. If you had that 380 size transmission then you could run a 28mm motor. Lowest I remember seeing way back was around 3000kV, I think. Even that would not be a crawler.
Higher KV is best for speed and should be geared down low since it has very little torque. Something like 1500kv would be perfect but I can't find any that would fit. That's why I suggested he uses an outrunner motor.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #486
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Higher KV is best for speed and should be geared down low since it has very little torque. Something like 1500kv would be perfect but I can't find any that would fit. That's why I suggested he uses an outrunner motor.

Correct. Outrunners will have a lot more poles and pulling power also.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #487
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Correct. Outrunners will have a lot more poles and pulling power also.
So yeah, that seems like the best option for Jerry
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #488
Rock Stacker

In that case I am going back brushed. I will keep brushless for some other insane project. According to our friend Walter ( NM90 build with servo driving steering wheel ) this motor is at least a 1/3 more fun to have over stock as shown in this video.

Last edited by JerryIRacer; 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 PM   #489

New all metal chassis from banggood! Seems pretty expensive though. $160 at the time I'm posting.

[US$159.99 19% OFF]WPL C14 C24 1/16 Metal RC Car Chassis
https://banggood.app.link/vwoEKfdKtX
Philsebbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #490

这个车叫顽皮龙
daxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #491
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
In that case I am going back brushed. I will keep brushless for some other insane project. According to our friend Walter ( NM90 build with servo driving steering wheel ) this motor is at least a 1/3 more fun to have over stock as shown in this video.
It looks like you might be able to put a brushless motor in place of that 390. You could disassemble the gearbox on the end of the motor
Old 06-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #492
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsebbens View Post
New all metal chassis from banggood! Seems pretty expensive though. $160 at the time I'm posting.

[US$159.99 19% OFF]WPL C14 C24 1/16 Metal RC Car Chassis
https://banggood.app.link/vwoEKfdKtX
I took a closer look, It seems like the rails are carbon fiber!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #493

Quote:
I took a closer look, It seems like the rails are carbon fiber!
They definitely do look it, good eye. I was half asleep when I posted that last night.

Wonder how the lightness of CF helps with the center of gravity and crawling.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #494
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They definitely do look it, good eye. I was half asleep when I posted that last night.

The object is to add weight, not remove it.
TheSubaruJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie View Post
In the right places though.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #496
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Probably since it's higher up. Although it is a very light truck, so it might not do much.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #497
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie View Post
Yeah, the goal is do add weight down low and, since the rails are carbon fiber, reduce weight up top too. Less weight on top + more on the bottom will lower the COG, and that's good for trail trucks and crawlers. It is possible that they could've added the carbon fiber just to be fancy too
Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #498
Rock Stacker

If I may point out ( it is my hijacked thread after all ) those light weight rails up high are sort of negated by metal servo tray and bed support cross member. All you are saying CD is right, but I dont think, whoever put that bundle together, ran any numbers to maximize its ability. It is all bling - all shiny parts thrown together for not a bad price. As with all bundles problem is you are getting some good and some nobody wants parts. It almost always makes more sense to upgrade one by one as needed.

I have just checked my order history. For $167 ( that includes shipping ) one can have most of metal parts from that chassis set but:
- Plastic servo tray and cross member has to stay
- Plastic axles housings have to stay - internals swapped for all metal with CVDs and metal knuckles plus metal driveshafts
- 2 speed gearbox and brushless ESC and 2440 4000kV motor
- Stock wheels
- No carbon fiber rails :(

So I think I have got little more insane setup for just about the same money... but more importantly it was all my decision which parts to go with, my learning experience and my failure in the end.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #499
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If I may point out ( it is my hijacked thread after all ) those light weight rails up high are sort of negated by metal servo tray and bed support cross member. All you are saying CD is right, but I dont think, whoever put that bundle together, ran any numbers to maximize its ability. It is all bling - all shiny parts thrown together for not a bad price. As with all bundles problem is you are getting some good and some nobody wants parts. It almost always makes more sense to upgrade one by one as needed.

I have just checked my order history. For $167 ( that includes shipping ) one can have most of metal parts from that chassis set but:
- Plastic servo tray and cross member has to stay
- Plastic axles housings have to stay - internals swapped for all metal with CVDs and metal knuckles plus metal driveshafts
- 2 speed gearbox and brushless ESC and 2440 4000kV motor
- Stock wheels
- No carbon fiber rails :(

So I think I have got little more insane setup for just about the same money... but more importantly it was all my decision which parts to go with, my learning experience and my failure in the end.
As I suspected, the carbon was just to be fancy. The original use for the metal servo tray was to shift the weight up front, I have no idea about the other metal bits up top. The last thing these trucks need is durability against crashes. I have rolled over at least a dozen times on a hard surface and haven't broken anything. But adding weight will just make the impact harder due to a heavier object falling to the ground, At least that's my theory.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #500

Banggood now has just the carbon fiber frames. Think I may get a pair.

2PCS WPL C14 C24 Upgrade Carbon Fiber Girder 1/16 RC https://m.banggood.com/custlink/mDm3FUmo78

WPL C14 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WPL B-1 Brake Weight Micro Scale Rigs 73 07-12-2019 09:53 AM
WPL-B24(Gaz) information sangyue Micro Scale Rigs 21 03-10-2018 06:50 PM
Fuzzy's WPL B-1 fuzzy1 Micro Scale Rigs 2 01-07-2018 06:28 PM
Intashu's WPL B-1 Intashu Micro Scale Rigs 6 11-25-2017 08:50 PM