https://youtu.be/e8pG1NzzyFs
daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New RC4WD Gelande 1/18 RTRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
Bought a d90 put it in my closet for my daughters birthday....I always test RC stuff just to make sure but I didn't pulled it out charged it up the night before her birthday, next day drove for maybe 30 minutes then it stopped working....tried 3 different lipo but still no go....I should have tried it right away because they would do nothing for me....make sure you try it so you can report any problems right away
Probably the original motor fried.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

If I put power direct to the motor it works in both directions and tge same with the servo...which makes me think that it's an esc problem....I'm gonna order a replacement esc and transmitter just incase
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
If I put power direct to the motor it works in both directions and tge same with the servo...which makes me think that it's an esc problem....I'm gonna order a replacement esc and transmitter just incase
OK, yes sounds like ESC then. Do you have another radio or ESC to swap and test? Also can swap steering and esc plugs in rx and see if the rx channel is good. Helps isolate problem a bit more. If you do this be ready to cut power so it doesn't take off on you.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I don't have another radio and esc to test but I'll swap the plugs and give it a try...and yes I'll be ready to pull the power just in case...which actually brings up a funny story, got my new TRX4 and I had it sitting on the bar top with the lid off to plug it in and turn it on. I pushed the button on the speed controller to turn it on and I turned the wheel and nothing so I turned it off and back on again and immediately pressed the trigger. That truck shot of the bar top faster than you can say 1, 2, 3 luckily I have pretty fast reflexes so I caught it just before it hit the floor...I had to laugh because I should have known better and done started it on the floor
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

It is a scale rock crawler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2YiVgiwTo
Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels View Post

Damn that’s cool. That crawl spot is fantastic, too. I want that Ferd though....
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

More footage:
https://youtu.be/y7CYU1SiQAQ
Old 04-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #29

I know that’s not original but I love it
Now a little bit of weathering

Later it will be rusty.

It’s not sand, just painted directly with airbrush and then just use a wash.
When I paint with the airbrush the finish is matte not shiny

And now finished
it’s easy to paint because it’s no difficult to separate each part and paint separately it’s so grateful and of course with that realistic body you can’t be wrong
The body it’s airbrushed. But, it’s easy to paint with spray if you want. All the he details of weathering and rusty are made with a small brush and make up remover foams. Something similar to this video https://youtu.be/CDsiLGV2KCs

Last edited by THX_138; 11-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Andersen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

This looks amazing! Did you just sand the body to get rid of the shine then use a blush wash? This is the look I’ve been after but wasn’t sure if I should wet sand or use a green pad to kill the shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProjektONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Almost looks like an FJ.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #32

So, I've had the new D90 baby blue rig for a little over month. Then the motor stopped working. Steering servo worked just fine, but the rig wouldn't move forward or reverse. RC4WD was kind enough to send me a new esc & tx (even though i was 10 days outside the 30 day warranty), but that didn't solve the problem so it must be the motor. i ordered another one from RCWD directly as no one else seems to carry them.

Anyone know if there is another brand that will drop right in? The rig is fun (when it works) for the back yard and flower beds. A little disappointed the motor fried already with very light use.
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I want to like these. I would love a small scale "indoor" rig. And the blue D90 body looks great.

But the suspension looks like it really needs help. They look over-sprung for their weight. Not much articulation. And those internal spring shocks are proven non-performers...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Big Mike, you are exactly right. Not to mention all the ESC issues I have heard about. Thats why i went with a 1/24 Geko DIY chassis. all metal material just like the RC4WD, but everything actually works... its not ready to run, but at least it doesnt require fixing suspension and a laundry list of other issues that have been brought up. i would get one of these if the issues were dealt with, but it seems like RC4WD just rushed the product and doesnt care to fix all known issues because they'll make money regardless. Pretty pathetic..
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
Probably the original motor fried.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I fried the original motor on mine (newer baby blue D90 with shorter gearing.) Got a new motor free from RC4WD, but i stripped the holes in the mounting plate while installing the new motor.

Problem is that RC4WD doesn't sell the plastic motor mount separately, you have to buy the transmission/motor combo

Just be aware if you are switching out the motor that the black plastic mounting plate is made of chocolate.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

... my Defender is one from the first series. Changed also the Gear/ Motor Unit ... First to the double motor/gear unit and later, after the new version from RC4WD was available to this combo. To have more room for the change, I disassambled the two long links... went much better without them!

And now, with the new tuning parts from CRAWLSTER for the springs/dampers,it drives much better --- better articulation and also

better steer angles ...

Made a small vid ... and no -- I am still not on the payroll of Crawlster ... just happy about the parts ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrYpTEixZQ

Regards
Wolf

Last edited by LRTd5; 06-19-2018 at 03:29 AM.
LRTd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTd5 View Post
... my Defender is one from the first series. Changed also the Gear/ Motor Unit ... First to the double motor/gear unit and later, after the new version from RC4WD was available to this combo. To have more room for the change, I disassambled the two long links... went much better without them!

Regards
Wolf
Very nice! When you say you disassembled the 2 long links - was that just to install the new parts or are you running without the long links?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeR6 View Post
Very nice! When you say you disassembled the 2 long links - was that just to install the new parts or are you running without the long links?

Sure, I reassembled the links --- suspension wouldn' work without them...
As written above , I did this only to have more space for the installation...

Regards
Wolf
LRTd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTd5 View Post
Sure, I reassembled the links --- suspension wouldn' work without them...
As written above , I did this only to have more space for the installation...

Regards
Wolf
Thx for the tip. I should have just removed the whole tranny assembly in the first place as you can only get to the screws at an angle with everything bolted on. I must have torqued the motor mount screws just a tad too much and stripped the mounting holes. Lesson learned.

On another note- anyone find their motor running hot after about 10 minutes of constant running? I’m inclined to think that tiny motor is a weak point for this truck.
Too bad my Mini-z motors don’t fit- those are beefier and they are 1/27 scale!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Just ordered mine. Went with the Z-RTR0039 RC4WD 1/18 Gelande II RTR w/D90(BLUE). They are on sale today for $164.99! I'm really not to worried about some of the known issues discussed above as I'll get right to work sorting them. This is basically going to be a rig for me to tinker with and screw around indoors over the long, cold Winter. I do love the scale looks, and I think it's got some good potential.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

New RC4WD Gelande 1/18 RTRs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Kits & RTRs - Which Would You Choose? RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 03-13-2017 05:15 PM
My RC4WD Gelande II jbondbmw 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-09-2014 09:08 PM