Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New RC4WD Gelande 1/18 RTRs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New RC4WD Gelande 1/18 RTRs

Nice..

I’ll take the Bronco, please.. haven’t seen that one in the EU yet. Plenty of 1st gen Laro’s, though..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 11-28-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Got my dual motor set up on the way, and also pulled the trigger on a Crawlster tuning kit. Looking forward to getting this thing sorted.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Got the little Gelande painted and weathered. I went with a very similar blue as the molded body comes in. I liked the color, but wanted to knock the shine off it. Once sprayed, I let it set up over night, then proceeded with weathering. I think it turned out pretty cool. I've still got to do something with the wheels, they just did not want to hold any of the wash I applied.

Still waiting on my Dual motor set-up and Crawlster tuning kit. Both should be here shortly. I did get my ARB diff covers installed and lubed everything up with waterproof grease.

I also ordered a lighting kit to put some light to the trails. Should be a fun little rig to mess around with this Winter and do some couch crawlin!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Had so much fun just stomping some trails in to the snow with my foot and driving this little rig around. What a hoot! It actually performs fairly well with the single motor. Can't wait to see what the dual motor set-up is capable of.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

I have to say, if you've been hemming and hawing about picking one of these little rigs up, just do it. You will not be disappointed. For such a tiny little truck, it's pretty darn substantial with metal chassis, axles, bumpers, hard body, etc. The scale detail for a rig this size is pretty amazing as well. I've also been pleasantly surprised about its box stock capabilities. I've got all the upgrades on the way, but there is no reason you couldn't run it just the way it is if you did not want to mess with it or spend the $.

I was flabbergasted that it was consistently cleaning this descent on my little side yard course. Also surprised about it's capability to track through the snow. It's not exactly deep, but we are talking 1/18 scale. IDK - I've just been laughing like a little kid wheeling this thing around the little trails I've been stomping in to the snow.

Passenger side mirror did break off again after I superglued it, but that's about it. Probably going to lose the drivers side one as well. They stick out a good bit and as I said, the rig has some heft so they're bound to break in roll overs. No biggie tho. I don't plan on replacing them.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Nice pictures!

I haven't done a ton of research on these, but I thought I read that the V2 transmission resolved most/all of the concerns regarding low-speed crawling control. It must not be 100% accurate if you are still going forth with a dual motor setup?
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Nice pictures!

I haven't done a ton of research on these, but I thought I read that the V2 transmission resolved most/all of the concerns regarding low-speed crawling control. It must not be 100% accurate if you are still going forth with a dual motor setup?
I never ran one of the previous generation rigs, so I can't make a direct comparison. But, the start-up and throttle resolution seemed pretty good with the V2 for a rig this scale. The dual motor set up, for me, was about getting some additional torque.

Having said that, I got it and the Crawlster tuning kit installed last night. The dual motor set up definitely has increased torque as you'd expect. However, I would say it's HALF the speed of the single motor with V2 trans. Honestly, it's almost painfully slow. I'll have to see what I think when I give it a go outside today. It's going to come down to whether the torque will help more, or the wheelspeed of the OE set up. Additionally, to retain the interior of the rig with the dual motors, you do have to trim out some passenger side floorpan to get clearance for the forward mount motor. Additionally, I also had to trim some firewall and floorpan on drivers side motor to clearance the larger, Tamiya style plug that mates the two motors up. No biggie, but I figured I'd let people know who are considering this set up for the V2 rigs that come with the interior.

At any rate, we'll give her a go and make a determination - I can always take it back to the OE set up.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Have you considered 3s for some additional wheelspeed?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I did consider 3s Brake Weight. But, in the packaging /install instructions for the dual motor set up, it states to run 3S at your own risk. If I read between the lines, that tells me that they, and other people using it have done it and just burned the little motors up. I may go ahead and give it a go though.

At this point, it's just so damn slow that it has taken some of the fun out of this little rig for me. Things I was clearing the other day using some momentum with the single motor V2 trans are now hanging me up and just wheel spinning with the dual motors. With the OE set up, it at least had a decent, slow walking pace. Now, it's pretty much glacial. I'll give the 3S a shot and see what I think.

As far as the Crawlster suspension and steering kit, it seems to be working out well. The little rig is definitely not as much of a pogo stick, and it gained a little bit of clearance and travel as well. Steering / turning radius is a tad tighter as well, although I did not see the gains described at the website.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Just ordered mine. Went with the Z-RTR0039 RC4WD 1/18 Gelande II RTR w/D90(BLUE). They are on sale today for $164.99! I'm really not to worried about some of the known issues discussed above as I'll get right to work sorting them. This is basically going to be a rig for me to tinker with and screw around indoors over the long, cold Winter. I do love the scale looks, and I think it's got some good potential.

You made a good decision my guy! I get my Land Rover on Christmas and I love lt.
Here is a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Judegaming yt is offline   Reply With Quote

New RC4WD Gelande 1/18 RTRs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Kits & RTRs - Which Would You Choose? RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 03-13-2017 05:15 PM
My RC4WD Gelande II jbondbmw 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-09-2014 09:08 PM