Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: WPL Snow Tracks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default WPL Snow Tracks

Longshow snow tracks.

Are these new? Cant find any info on them, but theyre for all the new wpl models. May be you guys can help.

https://www.amazon.com/Longshow-Trac.../dp/B07H4H6RLY
$12 !!

Are the WPL's and RC4WD axle's hex the same? Considering getting a set for my Gelande2.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: WPL Snow Tracks

Not the same hexes. WPL are 5mm and not 7mm.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Does any one know how to mount these on a wpl? I got the tracks cheap for mine awhile ago but can't for the life of me figure it out.
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotarc View Post
Does any one know how to mount these on a wpl? I got the tracks cheap for mine awhile ago but can't for the life of me figure it out.
as ive never seen them, this is purely speculation:

from the link, the first picture with the tan truck shown is what i am commenting to:
i would ASSUME that the top circular spot(it looks like it has 8 pair of "spokes" sticking off of it) just pops off(?) and then you could mount it just like a normal set of wheels, onto the hex. this was my theory which is why i was asking hex size too.

---- while typing that, i questioned if we'd need to anchor the track assembly, or if the weight of the vehicle helps keep it on the ground and rolls by rotating the gear and not rotating the assembly.. just a questionable thought.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well on mine nothing pops off like you were expecting. Theres a 5mm hex on the other side of the track so I tried mounting straight onto the axle with a SUPER long screw that goes through the whole track assembly to axle. Problem is that the whole assembly when you try and put power to the track it keeps trying to rotate the whole track and not the gears which binds the heck out of everything.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Not the same hexes. WPL are 5mm and not 7mm.
Thanks! Thats too bad.. would be cool on the mini gelande.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well I got a shot of the otherside because I'm sure you were curious. The hex and the big gear behind it rotates which then turns the track. Defiantly a ghetto system lol.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotarc View Post
Well on mine nothing pops off like you were expecting. Theres a 5mm hex on the other side of the track so I tried mounting straight onto the axle with a SUPER long screw that goes through the whole track assembly to axle. Problem is that the whole assembly when you try and put power to the track it keeps trying to rotate the whole track and not the gears which binds the heck out of everything.
there's a nut piece you attach to the axle that has a protruding piece, there are little lips inside the track axle mount area... in short the bracket nut thing you mount to the axle will protrude into that area, and prevent the track from rotating too far.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
there's a nut piece you attach to the axle that has a protruding piece, there are little lips inside the track axle mount area... in short the bracket nut thing you mount to the axle will protrude into that area, and prevent the track from rotating too far.
Yeah I figured out for the rear axle how it works I think but the front the piece doesn't fit? If you by chance have a picture of the front axle that would be good!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Anything new on the fronts installation?
Still curious about them in general.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

No not really. I don't know how I would make it work on the front axle. Honestly the whole system is very cheesy, on the rear axle the piece only has one screw to keep it tight and its a clamping design not like screw into the axle anywhere so it could rotate easily. Anything about the WPL models is very toy grade, but that's to be expected with the price point on these things so nothing is worth robbing for another build in my mind.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

It seems like they released a new version because my treads fit on the 5MM hubs. I used JB Weld to mount the adapters to metal WPL axles. This actually worked well. But there is another very stupid part of the system. The screw that secures the tracks to the axles has to rotate against a piece of the track that does not rotate. With the metal hubs, there is no way to put torque on the threads to hold them in place without locking up the drivetrain. I am going to keep working on it but so far, I have wasted a lot of time trying to make these work.
12MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I printed these off of on my 3D printer and tried them on another WPL chassis I have. These worked great.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3306262

These tracks consume a ton of power. I have no idea how the stock 180 motor turns them when my 370 motor seems to struggle. I am going to keep working with them and see if anything good can come out of it.
12MPG is offline   Reply With Quote

WPL Snow Tracks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow tracks on a yeti? j_ride008 Axial Yeti 1 12-31-2017 03:37 AM
Snow tracks for Tamiya? Teamsherman Tires and Wheels 1 04-29-2016 04:02 PM
testing out integy snow tracks 1375 Axial SCX-10 7 01-03-2014 05:06 PM
Clod snow tracks Gumbajv Tamiya Clod Buster 14 12-01-2012 01:28 AM