Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: new battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
ed1

Default new battery

need help.is there another larger capacity/more powerful battery+charger combo[with the correct connector]for the ftx outback mini/rgt adventurer/ecx barrage.need longer run times than 5-10 mins!.must be nihm batts.
ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Default Re: new battery

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the rtr battery and it runs out quick in my barrage. I have a dynamite 7.4V 180mAh 20C 2S LiPo (same connector) sitting around and I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to use for some reason?? I put it in for a few minutes to see if anything drastic would happen and it seemed ok - definitely has a little more get up and go.

I'm new to a lot fo the tech stuff in this hobby so any help is appreciated.

Last edited by drtvinp; 02-02-2019 at 04:56 PM.
drtvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

Just a quick followup - I figured I might as well ask Horizon about this. THey said that yes I can use that Lipo, but to be careful not to drain it too low since the esc doesn't have a cutoff.
drtvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

2s lipo is fine, but as said the electronics don't have a LVC so you may want a cheap Lipo alarm. Another problem is lipo has more voltage and definitely more punch from a dead stop. It makes the lack of gear reduction much more obvious.

The next step after volting up is of course gearing down. The Version 2 (V2) transmission from the RC4WD is pretty popular and with custom brackets and some work on the driveshaft outputs it will bolt up for about $25-30

Another option is the CR-24 transmission, especially with the stock spur gear from a Barrage which is much bigger, and a 9t pinion. If you order the transmission case, gears, shafts, bushings, skid plate,and motor (slightly different mounting) it should cost you the same or less than RC4WD and be completely bolt in.

If you want the smoothest slowest low speed control above that it's time for a better ESC and radio. The XYS-BL20A is pretty good for the money (less than $10)
However the best is going to be a Castle Creations micro ESC or a Tekin B1R, both are smooth with adjustable throttle curves.

As far as batteries with the proper connector, they are out there, but cost a bit more. IMO it's a perfect excuse for a cheap soldering iron or soldering station. It's a very useful tool in the RC Hobby and around the house or any other electronics.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Last edited by spoo76; 02-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote

new battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Securing a smaller battery in the stock battery tray Skroober Axial SCX10 II 8 12-05-2017 07:15 AM
Run Time vs Battery mha and Bed Battery Greatscott RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 09-18-2017 09:25 PM
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Finding bad battery cells in a battery pack. ToTheMAXXcrawler Electronics 9 02-04-2010 10:14 AM