Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 vrs trx4M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Scx24 vrs trx4M

I’ve been doing some research on these and I’m kinda on the fence it seems like the SCX 24 is better out of the box but I’m looking for other peoples opinions that have them both ? I’ve tried to search for a comparison on here but did find any
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scx24 vrs trx4M

i have all of the scx24's except a betty, and one of each trx4m. out of the box 100% stock....

the trx is a better trail truck, suspension is good, low modulation is meh, stock tires aren't the worst things in the world

the scx as for crawling i think its pretty much a wash performance wise other than the scx imo has a smoother esc on the low end, tires are mostly crap, servo is very weak if you plan on adding any weight

if i were looking for a crawler in the 18/24th scale area, i would skip them both and get the fcx24, it will out crawl both out of the box. 2-speed, oil shocks and portals

i have simple running videos of all of the above listed and then some other 24/18th scale offerings if you are looking for more https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6l...FA7POdvt4_YPoQ

any questions just ask!
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok yea I’ve looked at some of the spec’s on them and yea they don’t look to bad. The biggest thing about scx-fcx that I like is the stuff they come with stock that is a upgrade for the Trx4m.
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If fcx24 had reliable electronics it would be the top choice. Outta the box trx4m performs better in my opinion. The least amount of upgrades and it's good to run.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Ynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have both the SCX24 and TRX4M. My experience with either hasn’t been bad for either of them. Would I change anything? Oh yeah definitely did and will.

I have 4 of the SCX24 (C10 V1 Stock, Gladiator V2 Stock, JLU Modified, and a Custom).
The Pros:
- Durable: The stock chassis is really durable. The Gladiator has taken some 4 to 5 foot drops and only popped a shock off the ball end.
- Climbing: Thanks to worm gears, these little guys climb and hold down hills really well.
- Upgrade Path: If you get a V1, you can upgrade these a little at a time. Don’t need to swap radio right away when changing the ESC. I started with one of these, and couldn’t afford the radio I wanted, but was able to upgrade the esc.
- Low Speed Control: V2 ESCs are very smooth for a stock unit. The controller is also got a softer trigger than the V1 or the TQ.

The Cons:
- Servo: This thing is weak, fragile, and a weird size. Lost 2 out of 4 servos so far, with the third on its last legs. The Gladiator sadly has to have it for stock class…
- Motor: Basically the same thing here as the servo. Only have 1 in operation, but is about dead as well. Seems to last longer on the V2.
- Hardware: The hardware makes these a pain to work on some days. The heads strip out easily and swallowed by carpet.

Now lets talk about the TRX4M. This little guy is probably my favorite of the smaller rigs currently. Might still be the honeymoon phase, only time will tell.
The Pros:
- Steering: The turning radius is awesome on these little guys. Makes them feel really nimble versus the SCX24s.
- Shocks: Love having oil filled shocks on the little guy. Feels like it is actually tackling the terrain instead of bouncing along it.
- Hardware: I like the larger hardware, makes it a bit easier and enjoyable to work on.
- Scale Details: I love that these are hard bodies with good amount of detail. Also, they look a more proportional than their SCX24 counter parts.

The Cons:
- Connectors: This is the one thing that I absolutely hate about this truck. I can’t use a battery checker or a good charger on the stock battery. This makes me nervous when charging it.
- Bushings: Minor complaint for me here. Not planning on much wet running, so changed them already.
- Servo: Here it is again… Instead of being weak, this thing is fragile. Broke the main gear on a 1ft slow speed fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Out of box, trx4m. Biggest thing is the shocks. Unlike the 24s, it's not a bobble head rolling around. Now that oil filled options are becoming available can finish my scx24 build.

Fcx24 is a rock crawler on portal axles. Not even same comparison honestly. Not a bad mini by any means but can't really compare. Not to mention dealing with a Chinese brand so warranty/parts can be a pain in the rear. But if you get a solid unit, ya you can't beat them for straight up crawling.

Trx4m is a better, well better out of the box for out on the trail type use. That comes with the size though. Bigger tires, wheel base etc.

Scx24 has a couple things going for it but to make decently capable takes a fair amount of effort.

Like many complain about bushings on the trx4m but don't understand or have any knowledge in those matters. Because the "bushings" are actually bearings by definition. The difference is a they are just a bearing not a "ball bearing" or a "roller bearing". There's pros and cons of each design. Rc crawlers use ball bearings purely due to market demand. People think their better because they are better in high speed RC and required for high speed applications in about anything.

Scx24 has the better gearing/esc/TX combo going on for crawling. Much better low speed control. Trx4m crawler gears help with this substantially.

Trx4m throttle control set up annoys me but it's standard traxxas. Have to go to reverse on the trigger twice to get reverse.

Scx24 has massive aftermarket support currently because trx4m JUST CAME OUT weeks ago. But that's changing quickly.

Scx24 uses a worm in the differential eliminating the need for a drag brake in the esc.

Trx4m is a lot easier to work on. More space to get away from stock electronics, trying to cram aftermarket esc, TX and battery into an scx24 is a challenge to say the least.

Trx4m going brushless is much easier due to a standard size motor for RC use (180).

That's all I can think of atm for comparisons. Each has its place and fun in its own way. Each can and may need to be tuned to personal taste for intended use.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Trx4m throttle control set up annoys me but it's standard traxxas. Have to go to reverse on the trigger twice to get reverse.
Hey tigris,

You change the throttle control. Step 1 is the standard brake then reverse with no drag brake. Step 2 is the same with drag brake. And Step 3 is drag brake with instant reverse. It uses the set button the ESM to change it.

I am running Step 3 on mine, as that is what I am used to as well.

Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Hey tigris,

You change the throttle control. Step 1 is the standard brake then reverse with no drag brake. Step 2 is the same with drag brake. And Step 3 is drag brake with instant reverse. It uses the set button the ESM to change it.

I am running Step 3 on mine, as that is what I am used to as well.

Guess it pays to read the manual thanks for the info! Have no idea where my manual is.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:32 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

TRX-4m hands down IMO!

I have both and the new TRX-4m will be the new king of the tiny rigs, IMO of course. These drive more like their big brother 1/10 scale rigs.

I believe the aftermarket support for these will blow up in the coming weeks. We have already seen many parts and upgrades made for these come out from different manufactures since their debut.

My new TRX-4m tiny rig journey is here: B-MOW's TRX-4m Mini Blue Bronco
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have TRX4m's and SCX24's out of the box the TRX4m wins hands down in my opinion, it's a great little trail truck. It will do the normal trail stuff and some light crawling. The SCX24 is closer to a toy, it's bouncy not really fast enough to be a trail truck but still fun never the less. The SCX24 can be made into a good crawler with a few modifications. Of course the TRX4m can be made to crawl pretty easy too. One of the best id the crawling gears, you loose the trail speed, but gain a bunch of low end throttle control and torque. I added some from weight and have mine crawling pretty good now. My course is somewhat of a challenge for the TRX4m as it was designed with the SCX24 in mind but that is part of the fun is the challenge.

If I had to choose just one right now I would probably go with the TRX4m, it drives more scale & if it had an interior would be more scale looking except for the SCX24 Bronco which is pretty scale looking. I will guess that after the 1st of the year you will see more aftermarket options for the TX4m. Traxxas has a good line of option parts already as soon as the supply train catches up with the demand. At which time I think you will also see them available online as well as in the LHS which should increase sales too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

https://www.injora.com/collections/s...ted-descending

Here’s what you can update to the scx24. There are also a lot of stuff to the fcx24: https://www.injora.com/collections/fcx24-upgrades

And trx4m: https://www.injora.com/collections/t...ted-descending

The fcx24 is really good out of the box. Because of the 2 speed gearbox, it can be used as a crawler and trail truck! And there are small o-rings included, so you can make the stock shocks to oil filled shocks.

I have modded my scx24 a lot, last upgrade was oil filled shocks from injora. Love them. It has the micro komodo and tegu, and is a really good crawler. I don’t have the trx4m, so can’t talk about that. You might also wanna think if you wanna keep the truck stock, or if you are gonna upgrade it. Trx4m bronco performs much better than the defender. The defender looks better in my opinion, but it’s tall and the scale accessories looks good, but affects the center of gravity in a negative way.

Go to youtube and check this guy out: 2fm rc. He has a lot of videos of all the trucks. Those videos can help you make the right decision for you.

Last edited by 2471:24; 12-10-2022 at 10:32 PM.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx24 vrs trx4M - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another trx4m in the works. chevy55 Micro Scale Rigs 13 02-13-2024 10:14 AM
The Fleet is Growing - TRX4m Defender Gramps Micro Scale Rigs 16 12-21-2022 09:09 AM
Phyro’s TRX4m Phyro Micro Scale Rigs 8 12-09-2022 11:17 AM
TRX4M battery solution Ynad Micro Scale Rigs 4 12-07-2022 11:01 AM
Traxxas TRX4m 1/18 Scale Crawler Greatscott Traxxas TRX-4 13 11-02-2022 04:51 PM