Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Another RC4WD 1/18 Gelande...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another RC4WD 1/18 Gelande...

Won this little guy in a raffle about a year and a half ago. Drove it once or twice and realized it had some fairly significant issues right out of the box. Thought about selling it off, but this was probably the most expensive thing I've even won in my life, lol, so it went up a shelf...

Saw a notification on Facebook that a local group was doing an indoor 1/18 or smaller comp in a few weeks. Decided to pull this little guy off the shelf and see what I could do with it.
Attached Images

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Another RC4WD 1/18 Gelande...

Ordered a few parts from RC4WD. New tires, V2 trans, and an interior. Tires are noticably more grippy, V2 trans has roughly 1000x more torque. Still trying to make the shocks work better. Cut about 2 coils off each spring, which helped a little, then moved the lower mounting points to put the shocks at a bit of an angle, which helped a little more. Still looking to soften it up a bit, but at least it's an improvement.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Still thinking about performance mods, spent some time on the appearance. New paint job for the body, and some detailing for the interior. Really like the way the body came out. Not as happy with the interior, but it looks ok once it's installed...

Don't know why the flash turned off for the front grill shot, will have to take a better pic later.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks great. You said youre modifying the suspension, have you checked out the Crawlster shocks?

Glad to see another rc4wd getting modded!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
SurfinStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Looks cool, I really like the body paint. I ordered one on sale yesterday. I’m hoping it’ll keep me entertained over the winter. I have a corner in my basement that’ll make nice mini crawl spot!
Fatstrings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfinStud View Post
Looks great. You said youre modifying the suspension, have you checked out the Crawlster shocks?

Glad to see another rc4wd getting modded!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I have. I may still order those, but the mini-crawler event I plan on taking this to is on the the 15th of Dec (I think). I don't think i could get it here in time from Germany. My in-laws live there, but I still dont think it would get here in time using the DoD mail channels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just ordered mine from RC4WD as they were on sale for Cyber weekend. I've got my dual motor set up on the way, and the Crawlster tuning kit. Looking forward to playing with this little rig!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Little off topic but what is that orange Camaro project you have sitting in the background?

Also nice RC4WD 1/18! Every time I see a post about these trucks makes me wanna work on mine. I have to many projects haha.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Little off topic but what is that orange Camaro project you have sitting in the background?

Also nice RC4WD 1/18! Every time I see a post about these trucks makes me wanna work on mine. I have to many projects haha.
1/24 model kit of a 1970-1/2 Camaro. About 2/3 done, needs decals and clearcoat on the body and final assembly...

Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here's a few pics. Used to do a ton of models as a kid, recently decided to see if it was still a hobby I enjoyed so I bought this guy...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Did a little more work to the D90. Wasn't happy with the steering so I clearanced the knuckles a bit where they were hitting the shocks. This gave a fair amount more steering, but the dogbones were binding up, so I had cut some notches in those as well to eliminate the binding. Had to turn my steering endpoints down, it will actually put the tires into the links now...

Bent the links up a bit for better movement.

Replaced the 2-in-1 Rx/ESC with a Spektrum receiver and a 30A ESC. A couple of the pictures show the wiring on the top, but I eventually had to route it underneath the trans because the body (with the interior now added) wouldn't fit properly with it up top.

Also had to do a little work to get the transmission turning properly. It's a plastic casing and all the screws were WAY too tight, causing the plastic to distort. A bit of tinkering and I got it pretty well sorted out.

Have future plans to design and 3D print a beefier front bumper and new chassis brace / battery tray. New tray should allow me to drop the battery level at least 5mm to lower the CG a tiny bit.

REALLY wish I could find some softer springs for this... That's probably the last major thing I haven't been able address....
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looking good. I just did some work to mine, moved the battery to the front and electronics to the rear. I also had to add a balance plug to my lipo because my new charger won't charge lipos without one.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Had a local Micro-comp this last weekend. D90 did pretty well, tied for 3rd. Let my daughter run my new (to me) Proline Ambush also. Didn't get a ton of pictures (a lot of them were super blurry), but here's a few...
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

LOL. She looks very serious.

I wish we had some of those comps local to me. That’d be a nice change of pace to nothing. LOL.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
LOL. She looks very serious.

I wish we had some of those comps local to me. That’d be a nice change of pace to nothing. LOL.
Yeah, nice to have a few smaller indoor events for the winter. They're supposed to be doing 1 event a month, at least until the spring comes back around.

And yeah, she was pretty focused. Did pretty well too considering it was only her 2nd event and probably 4th or 5th time driving an RC

Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #16

Wow looks great! Hoping 4 a rc4wd 1/18 for Christmas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Judegaming yt is offline   Reply With Quote

Another RC4WD 1/18 Gelande... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd gelande ii rtr / rc4wd gelande ii truck kit darksheep RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 08-20-2018 05:39 AM
RC4WD Gelande I piggy 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 01-14-2014 10:23 AM