Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Thread: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #21
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfried View Post
I am assembling the car on Tuesday so then I will do a final measurement with my measury thing and print a test set on wednesday when I am back in my office.



You think it's better to have the stock 180 in there or put in the N20 double set?
I have yet to run anything but the stock 130 that came in rtr that I have and only ran that about five minutes cause the steering was so horrible, I've watched a ton of videos on these things and the 180 doesn't seem too bad for general trail running and light climbing, decent speed and so forth, the dual motor setup seems slow but very torquey, so I'd say think about how you wanna run it. I've got the dual N30's on the way and my 2spd with 370 came yesterday. The kit coming will have the 180 and I'm gonna order the metal geared trans with the 370 and try them all. I look at this way you can change it out rather quickly anyhow.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #22
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

UPDATE

I did a little experiment, I ordered the metal upgrade steering links to see if the bump steer is minimized with these links and it is dramatically. I ordered the style that runs from the servo to the passenger side and it works excellent. I've seen on YouTube that the other upgraded links that still go to drivers side also dramatically reduce it as well. I've removed my Panhard setup to try this and will probably just leave it off. Yes it works but the upgraded links work just as well with less hassle. So you have 3 choices, the stock plastic link is junk it's what causes the bad bump steer.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,643
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
UPDATE

I did a little experiment, I ordered the metal upgrade steering links to see if the bump steer is minimized with these links and it is dramatically. I ordered the style that runs from the servo to the passenger side and it works excellent. I've seen on YouTube that the other upgraded links that still go to drivers side also dramatically reduce it as well. I've removed my Panhard setup to try this and will probably just leave it off. Yes it works but the upgraded links work just as well with less hassle. So you have 3 choices, the stock plastic link is junk it's what causes the bad bump steer.
Link to links?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #24
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Link to links?
Here you go

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123217890102

I haven't tried this one but seems to work just as well on YouTube, I like the looks of first one better though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352510891740
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 55
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
UPDATE

I did a little experiment, I ordered the metal upgrade steering links to see if the bump steer is minimized with these links and it is dramatically. I ordered the style that runs from the servo to the passenger side and it works excellent. I've seen on YouTube that the other upgraded links that still go to drivers side also dramatically reduce it as well. I've removed my Panhard setup to try this and will probably just leave it off. Yes it works but the upgraded links work just as well with less hassle. So you have 3 choices, the stock plastic link is junk it's what causes the bad bump steer.
I was just going to ask you this question. I would think the longer link to the passenger side would lessen the difference in wheels angle when you turn helping with oversteer. But I am far from a geometric genius...

Sorry to hear you took off the panhard. That was some awesome work.
chevyfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfried View Post
I was just going to ask you this question. I would think the longer link to the passenger side would lessen the difference in wheels angle when you turn helping with oversteer. But I am far from a geometric genius...



Sorry to hear you took off the panhard. That was some awesome work.
Thanks, I enjoyed building the panhard setup and it works great, but even just getting some M2 all thread and some M2 rod ends and running it from the servo to the passenger side works just as well without all the hassle. There are a couple little nubs on the stock plastic knuckles that I cut off and got a couple more degrees of steering out of it as well. Like I said I ran it stock the other day just the chassis on 3s and it steers great and I couldn't break it. Full throttle to reverse back and forth left and right, skidding stops with the drag break. The stock 130 motor smelled a little funny but kept going.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #27
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Posts: 528
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Tried it. Works! In all its simplicity, it works great. Thnx!

Though, the fancy panhard is, from a technical standpoint, much more interesting looking. Will try that with the next kit. Still have the Ural to build, and the second MAN K1 to modify.

The JJrc MAN is quite a bit more sturdy in the drive-line apartment than the WPL trucks, I discovered. Larger pitch gears, for starters. Working, fully closed diffs that keep 50000cps diff-fluid pretty good. Shafts and couplers feel sturdier too. Haven’t snapped one yet despite being rather heavy with a Turnigy full lighting and sound kit, plus running it hard with a 180 motor on 2s. Something that killed the WPL C24 spools in a couple of minutes.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #28
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Tried it. Works! In all its simplicity, it works great. Thnx!

Though, the fancy panhard is, from a technical standpoint, much more interesting looking. Will try that with the next kit. Still have the Ural to build, and the second MAN K1 to modify.

The JJrc MAN is quite a bit more sturdy in the drive-line apartment than the WPL trucks, I discovered. Larger pitch gears, for starters. Working, fully closed diffs that keep 50000cps diff-fluid pretty good. Shafts and couplers feel sturdier too. Havenít snapped one yet despite being rather heavy with a Turnigy full lighting and sound kit, plus running it hard with a 180 motor on 2s. Something that killed the WPL C24 spools in a couple of minutes.
No problem, for what these trucks are I just don't see the need to build a panhard and the brackets when something much easier works, I did the panhard to see if it would work and for the challenge of it. I used to build my own for the first gen scx10 but they needed it if you wanted to do a chassis mounted servo. These little trucks are just something to tinker around with, I plan on writing a new thread later on about what are must have things for these trucks and what you don't need to waste your money on but that will be a few months away after I really test them out.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
No problem, for what these trucks are I just don't see the need to build a panhard and the brackets when something much easier works, I did the panhard to see if it would work and for the challenge of it. I used to build my own for the first gen scx10 but they needed it if you wanted to do a chassis mounted servo. These little trucks are just something to tinker around with, I plan on writing a new thread later on about what are must have things for these trucks and what you don't need to waste your money on but that will be a few months away after I really test them out.
I kind of want to attempt the mounting style used on the TRX4. Not sure what it's called but it looks pretty reliable.
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #30
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
I kind of want to attempt the mounting style used on the TRX4. Not sure what it's called but it looks pretty reliable.
That was exactly what I did here in this thread and it works but the upgraded link works just as well without all the fab work and hassle. The only difference is how the servo is sitting.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
That was exactly what I did here in this thread and it works but the upgraded link works just as well without all the fab work and hassle. The only difference is how the servo is sitting.
Yeah I was talking about the servo position. all you really need to do is give it a bit of a trim with a dremel. And you will also have a good mounting point for the servo. You can secure it with screws and m2 lock nut's. No more hot glue is needed. Not sure if it will stop the bump steer though. You would have to ditch the servo arm for one without the 90 degree twist so both holes are facing the same side. I am quite willing to try this method out.
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
Yeah I was talking about the servo position. all you really need to do is give it a bit of a trim with a dremel. And you will also have a good mounting point for the servo. You can secure it with screws and m2 lock nut's. No more hot glue is needed. Not sure if it will stop the bump steer though. You would have to ditch the servo arm for one without the 90 degree twist so both holes are facing the same side. I am quite willing to try this method out.
Sounds like a giant hassle to me when all you need is one link with ball ends from the servo to the passenger side of the truck, the bump steer is so much improved this way and it's super easy. I spent a bunch of time fabbing up a panhard and brackets when all it really needed was the better link.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
Yeah I was talking about the servo position. all you really need to do is give it a bit of a trim with a dremel. And you will also have a good mounting point for the servo. You can secure it with screws and m2 lock nut's. No more hot glue is needed. Not sure if it will stop the bump steer though. You would have to ditch the servo arm for one without the 90 degree twist so both holes are facing the same side. I am quite willing to try this method out.
Also on the new ones servos are held in place with a plate and screws, these plates are available for the old ones as well.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Also on the new ones servos are held in place with a plate and screws, these plates are available for the old ones as well.

So I probably won't have to print a lot of these

Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3318831
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #35
RCC Addict
 
kincer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Apollo Pa
Posts: 1,650
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
So I probably won't have to print a lot of these

Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3318831
Actually those are better, the WPL ones are just flat and you have to use two sided tape to hold the esc down.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Actually those are better, the WPL ones are just flat and you have to use two sided tape to hold the esc down.
I have also seen people use the longer spare servo horn to hold the servo down as well
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED

So I found a great fix to eliminate bump-steer on the C-14 and C-24. All you need is some form of fire (trust me) and a longer screw. What you need to do is bend the servo arm straight and put both steering linkages to to top of the steering hubs.

Video link: https://youtu.be/9F5L1Wq2dsM?list=PL...LnWs9xs7&t=260
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



WPL C14 C24 Yota Bumpsteer SOLVED - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WPL C14 Brake Weight Micro Scale Rigs 633 01-07-2022 03:57 PM
A WPL C24 done my way R.Billy Rob Micro Scale Rigs 6 12-08-2020 11:17 AM
Wpl c24 PileDriver Micro Scale Rigs 64 07-07-2020 07:36 PM
WPL C14 build Dungas Micro Scale Rigs 15 04-03-2020 10:12 PM
Wpl c14 video Tennesseetommy81 Micro Scale Rigs 4 01-03-2018 05:01 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com