Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My RC4WD 1/18 Gelande

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My RC4WD 1/18 Gelande

Look what my wife got me for Christmas!

She knows I like old Broncos, so she managed to sneek in a Bronco body set, to go with it. It will definitely get painted and detailed somewhat, but I have a couple of other ideas for this too

I had purchased the REC rims last year on a whim and I was going to use them on a 1/16 CJ-7 model I have.

Option A - Revell 1/16 Jeep CJ-7 body swap. I like the CJ-7 for the detail, but I'd have to strech the WB almost an inch to make that happen. I'm not sure if that is even feasible. The kit tires are almost the exact same size as the Dirt Grabbers too.

Option B - Nichimo 1/16 Jeep CJ-5 body swap. Body is kinda funky and not a true scale model but it's a perfect fit!!! I think the MT Baja Claws will be perfect for this body too.
Attached Images

58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My RC4WD 1/18 Gelande

There have been some very impressive builds with the 1/16 Jeep body using sumo axles before the RC4WD was released. Look forward to seeing this one.

As far as stretching the wheelbase, I don't see why it's not possible. It's no different than any other build. Make longer links and extend the chassis rails or make new ones.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
There have been some very impressive builds with the 1/16 Jeep body using sumo axles before the RC4WD was released. Look forward to seeing this one.

As far as stretching the wheelbase, I don't see why it's not possible. It's no different than any other build. Make longer links and extend the chassis rails or make new ones.

I was thinking the drive shaft might be a problem too. I will have to put a little thought into it. Links are easy.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Hah! That Nichimo 'Golden Eagle' actually looks like a Dutch licensed sc. 'NEKAF' Jeep, as made by Nekaf in Rotterdam aka the Willy MB NEKAF. So, it IS realistic, despite its odd "in-between-a-Wrangler-and-a-Willy" looks.

I know that hunk-a-junk quite well. Gobbled fuel like mad, wasn't very fast, and had a gearbox that -in low gearing- was waaay louder than the whole engine. A loverly sort of loud howling.

When I was in the service mid-80's they were phased-out, so we were more or less free to beat the snot out of the remaining ones. Great fun, bombing through the training areas in ways that would never have been allowed when they still were in actual service.

I like that body. I'd say 'go for it'

Last edited by Jay-Em; 01-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Hah! That Nichimo 'Golden Eagle' actually looks like a Dutch licensed sc. 'NEKAF' Jeep, as made by Nekaf in Rotterdam aka the Willy MB NEKAF. So, it IS realistic, despite its odd "in-between-a-Wrangler-and-a-Willy" looks.

I know that hunk-a-junk quite well. Gobbled fuel like mad, wasn't very fast, and had a gearbox that -in low gearing- was waaay louder than the whole engine. A loverly sort of loud howling.

When I was in the service mid-80's they were phased-out, so we were more or less free to beat the snot out of the remaining ones. Great fun, bombing through the training areas in ways that would never have been allowed when they still were in actual service.

I like that body. I'd say 'go for it'
I wonder if that would also explain why my 1/20 nichimo CJ has weird proportions compared to the 1/20 Monogram. It has a longer cowl area, but is noticably shorter and with bigger rear wheel wells. Very nicely detailed however

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The Nekaf, indeed, was a bit more "stubby" compared to a Wrangler. I don't know if it was a shortened chassis. Could be. It was adapted to Dutch road-laws, so there were some differences with the early Wranglers, or late Willy MB's. Most notable the addition of extra turn-signals.

I think I have a look at fleabay if there are more of those Nichimo 1/16 jeeps available (for a reasonable price, that is) Would make for a nice scratch-build. I got plenty of WPL and JJrc axles and stuff to make a full car from it.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That one is based on the earlier 1:1 CJ-5 (55-71) with the 81" wheelbase. After that, in 72, the wheelbase was lengthened to 84" and the CJ-7 was built at 94", which is the same as the more recent Wranglers.

The Nichimo body is too round in the front. I will probably work at doing the CJ-7. I have another kit with a hard top and full doors that I'm gonna use. For now, I'm just gonna do the Bronco body and get in some drive time on it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've gone and done it now...the Nichimo has found it's way onto this little truck. I worked on them both this weekend.

I think I've managed to pick the color for the Bronco...as close to Boxwood Green as I can get. Here's the look I'm going for...

I'm thinkin, I might do a simulated swing out spare tire rack(non-functional).

I got the Bronco cleaned up and sanded, but the spare needs to be done before primer. So, I worked on the jeep body. I filled the holes for the accessories and sanded the mold lines off then worked to get it fitting right.

The front bumper was attached, much like the Tamiya Wrangler, so I cut it off and cut it to fit with the Landy bumper. I will probably have to drill a couple of new holes in the bumper brace to attach the body there.

I also ground out some area around the trans tunnel so the tranny would fit as low as possible. In the rear, the the mounting posts that are attached to the body, almost lined up with the rear mounting blocks on the frame. What I'm thinking of doing is, to cut them off and relocate them to match up with the blocks. I can just drill them and screw them in to the bed. I also notched the bed for the shock tower clearance.

I did find some longer drive shafts that I think will work when I get around to adding the CJ7. That's for a future continuation of this tiny truck.

On to the pics...
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

Awesome! Can't wait to see the Jeep completed.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Since there's a blizzard happening, I logged some time in on the little Jeep.

I had to modify the chassis a little to accommodate the Jeep. I drilled and tapped the front bumper mount so the trimmed cover plate for the front, would fit nicely.

In the rear, rather than relocate the mounting shafts, I created a little brass brace. I can put the standard rear mounts back in after, so they will be available for the other bodies. I sprayed it with Tamiya fine primer and Testors One Coat Lacquer. The color is Fiery Orange and I covered it with a couple coats of their Wet Look clear. It's not mirror like but that's fine for an off-road Jeep...it's not for a show room. Waiting for it to cure some more before painting the flares and other details.

Pics...
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Wax it with some car wax and it will shine much better
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandserenesteve View Post
Wax it with some car wax and it will shine much better
Thanks...

I sprayed another coat of clear today. Looks better now. It came with the Golden Eagle decals, but I'm not sure if I want to use them.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #13

Looking good. I'll be following this - also working on a Bronco build. If you plan to crawl or want softer springs I've found these work well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SX0QUG

They could do better with something to space the bolt better, but no real problem.
BlackVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVenom View Post
Looking good. I'll be following this - also working on a Bronco build. If you plan to crawl or want softer springs I've found these work well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SX0QUG

They could do better with something to space the bolt better, but no real problem.
Wow! Been a few months to get this done. Thanks for the tip. I did pick them up but have not used them yet.

Driver looks kinda goofy but, hey, it came with it so why not use it. I changed the tires to MT's because they look to be slightly larger and seem to fit better. I also picked up a set of Hot Racing aluminum shocks, with hopes they'd be softer. Fortunately, they came with 2 extra sets of springs that worked out perfectly in the RC4WD shocks. It's riding at about 75% droop. I'm looking to do a first run with it soon.

Here's how it looks now...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!How it perform?
bolo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo79 View Post
Looks great!How it perform?
I don't know for sure yet. I haven't had a chance to run it, with work and crappy weather. Maybe this weekend.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Just a quicky...did this yesterday.

I converted one of my Revell CJ7's into a five. It doesn't sit as low as the original because it has the normal scale floor/interior. After some hacking I got it to go as low as it can, with out cutting the entire floor out. I will also have to move the battery. I like, that the Nichimo fits perfectly on the Gelande, with only minor cutting to fit the trans area, which isn't even noticable.

Not sure if I'm going to use this, now that I see how high it sits. Maybe if it was leaved? IDK
Back in the box for now. I will clean it up and primer it later. It was fun to see that it could be done.
Attached Images

My RC4WD 1/18 Gelande - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd gelande ii rtr / rc4wd gelande ii truck kit darksheep RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 08-20-2018 05:39 AM