Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Best source for 1/24 axles and transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Default Best source for 1/24 axles and transmission?

I have been searching for a few days now for a set of 1/24 axles and a transmission for a build I have planned. I started looking at just purchasing axles and the transmission separately, and then began looking for cheap kits I could just take what I needed out of. I placed a few bids on a few used 1/24 ECX Barrage listings on ebay, but they all ended up selling for more than I'm looking to spend. I started looking at the different micro crawlers on banggood and gearbest but I can't seem to find any good measurements on just the axles.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good source for a set of axles and a transmission? Either purchasing them separately or a kit that I could buy and take what I need from.
Thanks!
FTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best source for 1/24 axles and transmission?

What's your budget? Most of the RGTs can be had for less than $75 shipped if you shop around ebay, AliExpress,and Banggood.

If you want something with more gear reduction then look into the Hobby Plus CR-24. They've quickly sold out they are so popular, but they are basically a Barrage that has more gear reduction, beadlock wheels, and 2S capable electronics. Those can be had on sale for $74 but they are normally $84-93 depending if you get one with a Lipo. For the extra $10-15 more than the RGT it's worth it for the transmission alone, but the bead lock wheels and 2s electronics are a nice bonus. Even the transmitter is nicer.

If you want even cheaper look for a used ECX on eBay. They are even cheaper than the Wltoys often times $50, however the electronics are garbage and have no throttle control, the link geometry is wonky and needs to be sorted out, and the wheels and especially tires are hard throw away tires. You'd basically just be using transmission, axles, and drive shafts.

IMO getting a new or used rig and selling what you don't need will end up being cheeper than buying the axles and transmissions at the normal prices

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
What's your budget? Most of the RGTs can be had for less than $75 shipped if you shop around ebay, AliExpress,and Banggood.

If you want something with more gear reduction then look into the Hobby Plus CR-24. They've quickly sold out they are so popular, but they are basically a Barrage that has more gear reduction, beadlock wheels, and 2S capable electronics. Those can be had on sale for $74 but they are normally $84-93 depending if you get one with a Lipo. For the extra $10-15 more than the RGT it's worth it for the transmission alone, but the bead lock wheels and 2s electronics are a nice bonus. Even the transmitter is nicer.

If you want even cheaper look for a used ECX on eBay. They are even cheaper than the Wltoys often times $50, however the electronics are garbage and have no throttle control, the link geometry is wonky and needs to be sorted out, and the wheels and especially tires are hard throw away tires. You'd basically just be using transmission, axles, and drive shafts.

IMO getting a new or used rig and selling what you don't need will end up being cheeper than buying the axles and transmissions at the normal prices

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the RGT idea, never thought of that. A little more than I want to spend but I have or will make everything else for the build so I can probably spend a little more on the axles and transmission. I don't plan on using the electronics from any of the rigs so I'm not really worried if they are good or not.
Thanks again for the suggestions, guess I have a decision to make now.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you are looking something that has low speed throttle control for some crawling the RGT and Barrage will need a transmission swap or something custom to get enough gear reduction.

The CR-24 is like a Barrage that has more gear reduction in the transmission so it crawls better if you plan to use the transmission and want to crawl.
Both axles have the same exact gear ratio, so the CR-24 transmission is helpful.

If that's out of the budget or you're willing to give up the looks of a ring and pinion axle in favor of a worm geared axle like a Losi, go with a used ECX Temper for around $60. Worm gears have much more gear reduction at the axle and crawl much better. Another plus is with all the reduction at the axles the transmission is nice and compact when used in scale bodies.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I suppose another option is if you're after a much more scale look with a 1/24 model model Body Orlandoo axles will look very scale for not much $$

Old 01-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

I'm think I want to go more of the scale route so I'll probably end up going with the RGT. I'm actually not planning on building a "crawler". It'll be a scale rig but won't do much crawling.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If that's the case Orlando axles would fit the best with a 1/24 model body and appropriately sized wheels.
The RGT\Barrage\Losi\ RC4WD look most scale with a 1/20 or 1/18 body and look a bit large for a realistic look on 1/24

Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
If that's the case Orlando axles would fit the best with a 1/24 model body and appropriately sized wheels.
The RGT\Barrage\Losi\ RC4WD look most scale with a 1/20 or 1/18 body and look a bit large for a realistic look on 1/24

Yup what he said! Orlando axles would look stock on a 1/24 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

I think the 1/35 axles would be too small for what I want to do. I probably should have mentioned in my original post but I'm going for a micro solid axle monster truck. I'd like to make it pretty scale but also just want something functional. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Best source for 1/24 axles and transmission? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
source for inner axles found!!! Kranberry HPI Wheely King 18 05-14-2007 10:27 PM
Source of TLT Axles? BCBoulders Chit Chat 2 04-17-2007 07:49 AM
cheaper source for tlt axles crawldaddy Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 03-10-2006 05:46 PM