Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Gelande II 1/18 motor upgrade found!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC4WD Gelande II 1/18 Motor upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
I DID keep the metal pinion on it as I noticed it had a couple less teeth (11t?), so there may have been some improvement there, but I also have larger tires on it now as well (Scramblers), so there's that to consider as well.

I have the same tires on hbx wheels weighted over 20g per wheel and I find the RC4WD motor to be much better???

I’d guess 25% more torque. Enough for me to completely notice. Mine would hit a wall and freeze. Not anymore. Those big wheels just turn.

Is your mesh maybe too tight? Or maybe you expected more?

It was enough for me to be happy with its performance that’s for sure.

Sorry to hear that.

Sent from your iPhone.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I have the same tires on hbx wheels weighted over 20g per wheel and I find the RC4WD motor to be much better???

I’d guess 25% more torque. Enough for me to completely notice. Mine would hit a wall and freeze. Not anymore. Those big wheels just turn.

Is your mesh maybe too tight? Or maybe you expected more?

It was enough for me to be happy with its performance that’s for sure.

Sorry to hear that.

Sent from your iPhone.
You've probably driven yours a lot more than I have mine. I've been modding mine more than driving it lol, so I'll defer to your experience with it. I'll give it some more wheel time, but as of now, I just didn't notice a difference, I was still able to stall the wheels what seemed fairly easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna have fun with it for sure
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Is the motor supposed to be cocked slightly? Mine is resting in the nut of the rear link. Also that motor plate reversed doesn’t seem to allow the screws to tighten fully. Any suggestions?
Short_Bus_Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short_Bus_Kustoms View Post
Is the motor supposed to be cocked slightly? Mine is resting in the nut of the rear link. Also that motor plate reversed doesn’t seem to allow the screws to tighten fully. Any suggestions?

Hey sorry, just saw this! When you flip the RC4WD motor spacer, you will notice the holes drilled into it are recessed. So when you flip it, that recessed part is now hidden. So your bolts heads will not be 100% flush. My motor bolts had flat tops so I just screwed mine in as level as possible and my motor is sticking out straight.

PErhaps you tightened one side down way more than the other and the motor is crooked because it rests on the bolts, not the actual spacer. Mine seems to work fine this way. The motor doesnt move or anything. At least not from what I can see.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC4WD Gelande II 1/18 motor upgrade found!

On another note, I have not picked this thing up since the SCX24 came out. While very cool, the SCX24 is just easier to mod and more fun out of the box. To that end, I have decided to turn this into a go fast mud truck. Mine doesnt turn very well in one direction (locks up if turned too much, annoying) and I have crappy grip HBX monster tires on it. So Im just going to make this thing spin tires and fling mud! LOL

So, Im looking for a 130 or bigger motor mount. I searched shapeways and didnt find anthing. I emailed gamyrc to see if he has something. But if any of you pro's know of a bigger motor mount for the RC4WD 1/18 gelande bronco, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Can anyone confirm that with these mods the 1/18 gelande DIDNT loose any torque? I’m not worried about more wheel speed as I am about losing torque.
Having a harder time finding the ff-030 here in Canada.., so I could get the long can for gelande and use its can for scx24...
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quick thought.., can I just change pinion on scx24? In case it hard to find ff-030...

Is this close enough?

Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkvisser View Post
Quick thought.., can I just change pinion on scx24? In case it hard to find ff-030...

Is this close enough?

That’s for CD/DVD players., no torque if guess

Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that with these mods the 1/18 gelande DIDNT loose any torque? I’m not worried about more wheel speed as I am about losing torque.
Having a harder time finding the ff-030 here in Canada.., so I could get the long can for gelande and use its can for scx24...
Thanks in advance

? My first post on this thread shows you a FF-050 motor you can easily install and it will give 20-30% more power over the stock 030 motor?

And thats using the 12T pinion the 050 motor typically comes with.

If you swap the brass 10T/11T pinion off the RC4WD 030 motor onto the new 050 motor, you will have even more torque.

Here is a plug and play 050 motor
https://www.banggood.com/13625-050-H...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.kingcobraofflorida.com/products/dyns1203

http://www.advantagehobby.com/342669...4-4WD-Barrage/

Good luck.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
? My first post on this thread shows you a FF-050 motor you can easily install and it will give 20-30% more power over the stock 030 motor?

And thats using the 12T pinion the 050 motor typically comes with.

If you swap the brass 10T/11T pinion off the RC4WD 030 motor onto the new 050 motor, you will have even more torque.

Here is a plug and play 050 motor
https://www.banggood.com/13625-050-H...r_warehouse=CN

https://www.kingcobraofflorida.com/products/dyns1203

http://www.advantagehobby.com/342669...4-4WD-Barrage/

Good luck.

Awesome!!!!! Thank you so much! I just wanted confirmation., wasn’t confident.
Also in Canada here it’s harder to get parts. Was hoping to do something quicker than over the pond. I will try the other links for supply..., . No one around here can get the rc4wd ff-030 or dyns1203..., month before supply gets this way.
Really do appreciate your time and the links..., very excited
Be blessed

Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

All back ordered.., may have to do the China route...

Old 03-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Awesome!!!!! Thank you so much! I just wanted confirmation., wasn’t confident.
Also in Canada here it’s harder to get parts. Was hoping to do something quicker than over the pond. I will try the other links for supply..., . No one around here can get the rc4wd ff-030 or dyns1203..., month before supply gets this way.
Really do appreciate your time and the links..., very excited
Be blessed

You keep suggesting the 030 motor. That is the small motor that comes stock on the RC4WD and or SCX24.

What you want is the RGT, ECX, or Dynamite 050 motor. The LONG can. That motor just requires you to flip the motor mount/spacer that is currently installed on your RC4WD gelande 030 motor. You simply flip it over and it will allow you to install the 050 long can. Otherwise, if you get another 030 small
can motor you will be replacing the motor with basically the same motor you already have.

And RC4WD motor comes with a the smallest pinion out of all the motors you can buy turn key. At least it was last time I checked. So you will have to pull that off the RC4WD motor and to the new long can motor that will most likely come with a 12T pinion.

When I swapped my Gelande motor to a 050, I used the bigger pinion that came on the 050 motor. Mine would wheelie from a dead stop on carpet.

I then choose to use the pinion on my RC4WD motor, on the new long can motor to slow it down. That gave me the most torque. But the long can with the 12T pinion is pretty good too. It wouldnt stall. It was just a little to fast for me.

The hardest part is putting the pinion back on. Its easy to bend and mangle if you are not careful.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD Gelande II 1/18 motor upgrade found!

Quote:
You keep suggesting the 030 motor. That is the small motor that comes stock on the RC4WD and or SCX24.

What you want is the RGT, ECX, or Dynamite 050 motor. The LONG can. That motor just requires you to flip the motor mount/spacer that is currently installed on your RC4WD gelande 030 motor. You simply flip it over and it will allow you to install the 050 long can. Otherwise, if you get another 030 small
can motor you will be replacing the motor with basically the same motor you already have.

And RC4WD motor comes with a the smallest pinion out of all the motors you can buy turn key. At least it was last time I checked. So you will have to pull that off the RC4WD motor and to the new long can motor that will most likely come with a 12T pinion.

When I swapped my Gelande motor to a 050, I used the bigger pinion that came on the 050 motor. Mine would wheelie from a dead stop on carpet.

I then choose to use the pinion on my RC4WD motor, on the new long can motor to slow it down. That gave me the most torque. But the long can with the 12T pinion is pretty good too. It wouldnt stall. It was just a little to fast for me.

The hardest part is putting the pinion back on. Its easy to bend and mangle if you are not careful.

Thanks.., I really appreciate the input!

My biggest concern is with the scx24 being under-powered. The common motor upgrade/ switch for both scx24 and gelande are out of stock (North America).
For this reason (scx24 underpowered), I’d be happy with just the ff-030. Otherwise I’d love to do the swap.., long can to gelande, and it’s stock can to scx24.
I appreciate the guidance.., I’m sweating just thinking of changing pinions on one of these tiny cans. :p

Be blessed

Last edited by lkvisser; 03-27-2020 at 09:32 AM.

RC4WD Gelande II 1/18 motor upgrade found! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd Gelande ii 1/18. Dual motor + v2 tranny? BashNSlash Micro Scale Rigs 2 02-20-2019 08:28 AM
Rc4wd gelande ii rtr / rc4wd gelande ii truck kit darksheep RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 08-20-2018 05:39 AM
1/18 scale RC4wd gelande motor questions gm0688 Micro Scale Rigs 8 12-27-2017 03:18 PM
Gelande chassis issues & upgrade options DRW-FJ40 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-21-2015 11:07 PM