Notices

Thread: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #261
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

Hi guys! (Yes I read the whole thread)

Here’s my build so far…
First thing I did was replace the driver to something more apropos!
Cut off the lights, added scale bolts to the hinge and chassis then painted the monkey bars ”Chrome”
Old man emu shocks mounted in the post screw holes, took out the springs and added a rubber washer for softness (External) and a couple drops of shock oil strictly for lubrication although they are set up to run oil I believe, But don’t quote me on that. If it’s too high for you, you could find a longer M1 bolt And bring it down to the lower four link axle mount.
Running droop in this way 99.935 % elliminates the bounciness. Not to mention the lower CG. (Don’t have the internal droop springs yet, I need to find softer springs or modify the stock ones to work)(Shocks needed spacers to mount, 4mm on top and 2mm on bottom to keep away from chassis rails, not used on the bottom in front because not needed and steering knuckle clearance was an issue with them on. The bolts that will be required are M2x(8mm bottom, 12mm top). Move the rear shock mounts forward also.
Next were the brass wheel spacers, haven’t mounted them on the steel stamped bead locks yet but I don’t see much of a problem having to drill the center out. And a note on the bead locks, I could only find the white ones so I had to paint them and I am thinking about using RC4WD scale hex bolts for the lugs.
Relocated the ESC back and low in the chassis with the screw in method.
Haven’t messed with a battery tray yet. But that’s definitely on the list! As is a replacement of the servo saver to see how it goes or a high tech micro servo with about 60 oz torque
Ordered some PCB board light covers and will be making my own harness soon when they get here. Should look great, I’ll keep y’all updated if you’re interested.

Added a washer to each steering link and man that stiffens/cleans it up so much!

I’m probably forgetting a couple things about it and also some things I wanted to respond to. I’m sure I’ll remember later!

CaliCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #262
Pebble Pounder

I forgot to mention the lenses are for lights in the body…

VCC SMC 170 Series Fresnel Round Lens for 3mm T-1 LED, 0.171-Inch/4.3mm Diameter, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3RX0DD..._rwMFDbSJ1VHYM

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 09-15-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #263
Pebble Pounder

And I found these, “crimp beads” for jewelry making, they’ll be perfect for spacers on this little rig and I’m sure many other 24th crawlers. Also the round crimp beads are intriguing for shock spacers for more articulation angle? Going to stop by a local craft store and swap them out for the shock plastic spacers that I had used (Cut the round ends off of some links from a couple micro helicopter parts I had lying around)

Old 09-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #264
Pebble Pounder

I am bored today and was inspired by a previous post on this thread. So I added a windshield and a fire extinguisher I had lying around. The end product will probably be sans zip ties and held in with the scale bolts on the right.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #265
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/1Mx3JuKZ0I4

Check out the video for a short clip on no bounce on a flat surface and slight bounce on a pebbled surface (that’s more of the tires bouncing without foams in my opinion though).
Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #266
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Any opinions on which bead-lock bolts looks better. I kinda like the zinc hexes as opposed to the stainless buttons but not sure.

Also found some things while digging thru my Lego parts bin. Not sure if I'll use any of it but the steering wheel and side-view mirrors actually look pretty legit imo. I was also thinking of using the red lenses for the taillights... push them out from the inside then e6000 in place and voila... ready for led's.

And while I'm babbling about Legos lol, I might as well post a pic of my new driver...

What are the silver Legos for? I love that idea! To take it one step further, you could even sand the Legos on the outside for more of a diffused light!
And a bonus, to get rid of the “Lego“ logo. Also, our old buddy R4-K5 Decided to join us…

Old 09-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #267
Pebble Pounder

Last one till somebody else posts… I promise!
I enjoy photography aspect as much as the build…!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #268
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCrawler View Post
Last one till somebody else posts… I promise!
I enjoy photography aspect as much as the build…!

Love it!
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #269
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt $2.14 Wheel wells

I was unhappy with how much you can see in the wheel wells… So since it’s raining today I took a trip to the dollar store to walk around and look for a package that would work to build some wheel wells! And I found some toe bandages that would fit the bill!
Posting some build pics to see what y’all think before I go ahead with all four and paint them. Will probably add about .5 of a gram total for all four after paint.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #270
Pebble Pounder

PCB board light covers came in today! Did a test fit on the two front lights (since they’re already wired) I have to say, they look damn good! Way better than the bumper. Another bonus, free rock lights! They’ll be more flush mount when I get the retainers in tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #271
Rock Stacker

Some bad pics of my fun rig. Not modded really anything but I love your alls mods and pics. One of my favorite vehicles I have. Usually leave things stock and push them until they break and then upgrade and keep fixing weak points until I am not breaking it any longer. That goes for most all of my way too many hobbies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #272
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Some bad pics of my fun rig. Not modded really anything but I love your alls mods and pics. One of my favorite vehicles I have. Usually leave things stock and push them until they break and then upgrade and keep fixing weak points until I am not breaking it any longer. That goes for most all of my way too many hobbies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That looks like an awesome little place for that rig! I agree with you, it’s fun to push it until it breaks, but this little rig isn’t designed to break!
I have a stronger servo coming today (more torque plus no more servo saver!)
Hopefully I can break something with that to give me an excuse for more upgrades!
Keep us posted on any fun mods you do!

On a sidenote… Does anybody have any suggestions for taking slop (sideways movement of the axles) out of the 4-link set up? Was maybe thinking the O-ring trick as used previously by another member (I forget their name right now, apologies). One on each side of the link so, 16 “O” rings for the bottom links…? or is that much movement wanted?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #273
Pebble Pounder

Here are the rear lights, for some reason popped in better than the front without the retainers…?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #274
Pebble Pounder

And yet more accessories came in today! Including the surfboard keychain!
I’m having way too much fun with this while I’m off!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #275
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCrawler View Post
What are the silver Legos for? I love that idea! To take it one step further, you could even sand the Legos on the outside for more of a diffused light!
Sorry for the delay... haven't been posting on here much lately. Wife and I are in the process of moving into a new house so that's taken precedence over my hobbies over the past couple months.

I haven't done any mods recently to the scx24 but I liked the idea of the lego lenses. Never considered sanding the "lego" off but if I do use these then I think I'll steal your idea. Using a buffing wheel on the Dremel would also shine them back up if the sanding created too much of a matte/ rough finish. What I like about them is that the lip ( flange?) part would be mounted flush against the inside of the body and glued into place... just the protruding lens part would be exposed on the outside.

I never came up with a use for the round silver pieces but I was originally thinking about maybe using one of em for a gas-cap or both of em for faux off-road light covers... not really sure. Maybe painted black with some tiny "KC" logos? Same with the long rectangular pieces... no idea yet but just thought that they might work for something on this little crawler.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #276
Pebble Pounder

A few videos of the performance (HTML Links are off, so here are web links).…

https://youtu.be/fZyNpVoZoNc

https://youtu.be/qWBG2kxwGuM

https://youtu.be/9BTgHhh1heI

Also added a P.E.R.S. Switch (Hansen Hobbies, 3-for-$15 if i remember..? ) to the third channel for the LEDs.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

You've been busy CaliCrawler! wheres the build thread at?

You certainly have enough going on to make it useful to others.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #278
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You've been busy CaliCrawler! wheres the build thread at?

You certainly have enough going on to make it useful to others.
As you can see, I’ve been a member since 2008 since I bought the AX10 kit! (that’s still a newbie on posting and thread starting!)
Unfortunately my mom just passed away on April 25, 2019…
since then I dove headfirst into the shallow end back into the hobby…
Any help on starting a new thread with the information already posted would be beneficial . I realize now I have hijacked this thread!

(The only thing left from the AX10 are the axles! It has morphed into this…)

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 09-17-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 09-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #279
Pebble Pounder

Finish the front wheel wells. Painted with rust oleum textured black. They’re a little rough, but I think they came out pretty sweet! No more ugly electronics.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #280
Rock Crawler

Nicely done.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial scx 24 deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX 10.2 Jeep XJ Body on SCX 10 Deadbolt? sacsmitty Axial SCX-10 5 08-15-2018 12:16 PM
My new Axial SCX-10 Deadbolt KA7EII Axial SCX-10 4 05-21-2016 09:24 PM
New scx 10 deadbolt BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 8 07-25-2014 10:00 AM