Notices

Thread: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #441
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Was talking about that at the hobby shop. Nice to know it can be done.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It's a little work, but doable!

You have to remove the spur gear to remove the motor and get access to the place you will drill two new holes.

I had a RC4WD 030 motor spacer laying around that I used as a guide to mark the new holes. I flipped it over and held it in place to make two new marks with my reemer. Drilled them and used reemer to widen holes as needed.

Now here is the catch I ran into...

One of the two new holes is directly under the spur gear once you put the spur gear back on. My spur gear was rubbing on it.

I used a washer to raise my spur gear up enough to clear that new motor bolt in the way.

The ECX 050 motor has a long spline so I poked a small hole out the back side of the motor cover with my reemer.

Raising the spur gear solved the motor bolt rubbing on it AND helped it with gear mess on this longer splined motor. The pinion is much higher on this motor because of the longer spine so raising the spur helped.

And finally the motor is not 100% level. The back end of the motor hits the frame and keeps it 1mm upwards. The motor bolts hold it in place just fine. It doesn't move. But the frame is technically in the way. Its hard to see. But the motor is being held up in the back 1mm higher.
I wasn't willing to notch the frame. And it works and looks fine. But thats the skinny of my experience with this change.

Good luck!
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #442
Pebble Pounder

I got one of these for my son for his birthday (totally ordering me one too now) and I noticed while he was driving it one of the front wheels was wobbling around.

I took off the wheel to see what was goin on in there and the outer bearing in the knuckle was missing! Like never installed! So that explains that. Haha
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #443
Pebble Pounder

I trimmed the rx tray and doubled up the tape under the rx now the battery and rx fits upfront without any other parts needed. The battery is just friction fit up there but doesnt seem to move around too much.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #444
mbh

Can anyone help a clueless newbie here?

Looking for a better charger and replacement battery that doesn't involve any soldering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #445
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post

Looking for a better charger and replacement battery that doesn't involve any soldering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Most programmable lipo chargers work. Soldering is an essential skill. Ph2 is the connector to search for.

scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #446
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

https://www.genstattu.com/catalogsea...C-300-2S1P-JST

Old 12-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #447
mbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
https://www.genstattu.com/catalogsea...C-300-2S1P-JST

Thank you

Any advice on a decent charger that I can use out of the box for these batteries? I don't have any experience with this stuff and am on the edge of just not even bothering getting into the hobby.

It's very confusing right now (for a new person) to find the correct charger that won't burn my house down.

Last edited by mbh; 12-15-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #448
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you

Any advice on a decent charger that I can use out of the box for these batteries? I don't have any experience with this stuff and am on the edge of just not even bothering getting into the hobby.

It's very confusing right now (for a new person) to find the correct charger that won't burn my house down.
I'm new to the hobby and just as you the whole battery thing was a huge turnoff and made me want to not even pursue the hobby. I researched on youtube and here about the ins and outs of it and after i learned a few things, it got easy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #449
mbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
I'm new to the hobby and just as you the whole battery thing was a huge turnoff and made me want to not even pursue the hobby. I researched on youtube and here about the ins and outs of it and after i learned a few things, it got easy.

I've been trying to do that. Learning about how to store these batteries was a pretty big eye opener.

I'm still struggling with the appropriate charger that is not too simple and not overly expensive.

I have this in the cart right now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VHREJU7H&psc=1
Old 12-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #450
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I've been trying to do that. Learning about how to store these batteries was a pretty big eye opener.

I'm still struggling with the appropriate charger that is not too simple and not overly expensive.

I have this in the cart right now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VHREJU7H&psc=1
I bought a hobby grade one that was about $50 or so tenergy tb6b and then got more cars and trucks and bought a dual charger with a touch screen after I understood it and now I can charge 3 at a time. The scx24 battery question you asked, I just got a charging wire (E-flite 2s Balance Plug) on Amazon that hooked into either of the chargers with a banana plug and didn't solder anything. Just did the wire crimper connector and electric heat shrink with a ph2.0 end (someone on here even sent me) and charge in a big lunch box sized lipo bag and months later it is great.They saved a person from writing the hobby from its initial learning curve and now I am proud to say I am an addict lol and ordered my first boat last night, have a new Losi 22st coming for Christmas, got that new touchscreen dual charger as an early gift to myself and see many more coming soon.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #451
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I have a THunder Ac6. Had to make an adapter for the JST PH2.0 connector. You can buy them for a few bucks as well

https://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

https://www.readymaderc.com/products...8aAkXGEALw_wcB
Old 12-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #452
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thank you

At first I was totally intimidated as I was clueless about these batteries. This charger made it very easy. Charges every battery I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balan...466382&sr=8-16
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #453
RCC Addict

For anyone interested, I'll echo the statement already mentioned... Learn how to solder. Soldering equip is cheaper than ever and it honestly does not take much skill or thought to learn how to solder adequately... not this type of soldering anyway. Circuit boards are a different matter. With a decent iron, some flux, solder, and heat shrink tubing in various sizes... you're on your way. I primarily use my 15/ 30 wt. iron fwiw and I'd recommend buying something with at least 30 wt. min. Tip: always tin your wires and make some practice joints prior to jumping into doing your rc projects. You'll be happy that you've learned how to do something new and along with that satisfaction will come the option to use different connectors, perform upgrades and repairs, etc. In the long run this skill is worth it's weight in gold.

With my scx24 I wanted to keep the stock esc which meant keeping the JST PH2.0 connector that inserts into the esc. My solution to do this also to run different batteries was to make an adapter. You can see it in the first pic on the right-hand side I first cut off the stock JST PH2.0 connector from the battery and soldered it onto a JST female connector. Most smaller lipo batteries use a basic red JST connectors so this just made sense. With the adapter, I can use many different JST male equipped batteries as well as the original battery.

As far as charging goes, I use a SkyRC Imax B6ac V2 balance charger... well worth the money and it'll safely charge just about any RC battery you could ever want to run. I use this charger for my 1/10 scale rigs as well. I've seen them for as cheap as $25 to about $45. Just make sure to look for the holographic sticker on the underside that verifies it's not a knock-off.

Anyway... I have my charger set up with the included banana plugs on one end ( into charger) and a Deans ( or T-style) connector on the other end. What I needed in order to charge smaller JST battery leads was a Deans to JST adapter. These are super cheap or you can make a couple yourself if you can solder. It's shown in the second pic although it came out pretty blurry. You can also see inthis pic the new JST male connector now soldered onto the original battery... to the right.

Now I can safely balance charge a wide array of JST equipped batteries by utilizing the Deans/ JST adapter and safely run a wide array of batteries in my scx24 via the JST/ PH2.0 adapter. Hope that this may help someone and if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #454
mbh

I appreciate the help guys.

I was really hoping to get this going without having to monkey around with the chargers or soldering. I get that some of these skills would be needed down the road. Looks like the barrier for entry into this hobby might be too high for my fix-it challenged brain.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #455
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I appreciate the help guys.

I was really hoping to get this going without having to monkey around with the chargers or soldering. I get that some of these skills would be needed down the road. Looks like the barrier for entry into this hobby might be too high for my fix-it challenged brain.
Understood, well good luck in what ever other hobby you choose.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #456
mbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalo626 View Post
Understood, well good luck in what ever other hobby you choose.

bird watching
Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #457
Pebble Pounder

Horizon sent me a new front axle assembly due to the missing bearing. While I was waiting for it I got an emax es08 or whatever that servo is and threw it on the new axle and added some little o rings to the steering linkage.

Much better steering now and the additional weight upfront from the servo is a plus
Old 12-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #458
Quarry Creeper

Thought I would show some tire differences. Left to right: RX4WD Rock crushers, RC4WD Wrangler MT, stock. Haven't run the Rock Crushers yet but likely the most stable. Crushers were much harder to mount than the Wranglers.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #459
Pebble Pounder

Are there any brushless motor/ESC combos available for these rigs? Would love to upgrade this thing
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #460
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
Are there any brushless motor/ESC combos available for these rigs? Would love to upgrade this thing
Ditto. I hate brushed anything. Want brushless. Thinking an out runner of a small size. Need mount.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial scx 24 deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX 10.2 Jeep XJ Body on SCX 10 Deadbolt? sacsmitty Axial SCX-10 5 08-15-2018 12:16 PM
My new Axial SCX-10 Deadbolt KA7EII Axial SCX-10 4 05-21-2016 09:24 PM
New scx 10 deadbolt BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 8 07-25-2014 10:00 AM