Notices

Thread: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Mine arrived today, right out of the box I had to do something about the bouncing suspension, a little gob of Green Slime on the shock shafts went a long way to getting rid of the bounce. I also swapped out the springs for some micro T springs, medium front, soft rears. The springs aren't the correct diameter but a little persuasion to open up the ID of the spring and they will fit and make a HUGE dif. over the stock ones. Just my .02 cents worth...lol

We want pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Mine arrived today, right out of the box I had to do something about the bouncing suspension, a little gob of Green Slime on the shock shafts went a long way to getting rid of the bounce. I also swapped out the springs for some micro T springs, medium front, soft rears. The springs aren't the correct diameter but a little persuasion to open up the ID of the spring and they will fit and make a HUGE dif. over the stock ones. Just my .02 cents worth...lol
Mine is arriving on Thursday. Do you think marine grease would work on the shock shafts instead of green slime?
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
..."SCX24 030-Motor with Pinion (DYNS1217)"

I am curious to know if this 88T 030 is stronger than all the other 030 motors typically found in micros.

If not, I will slap a 050 motor in mine like I did the RC4WD mini.
Good to know, need more micro motor options that are more powerful.

Quote:
My RC4WD 030 that came in my RC4WD blackjack had a motor plate on the top of it. I was able to flip that over to mate my 050 to my blackjack.

Hopefully this one will have that same motor mount/spacer thing my blackjacks 030 came with.
NIce, any motor plate pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
So far I would take this over the coyote pup MSA-1E, I have two of them and there is no denying the motor is under sized. It easily gets hot and stalls out.
Also for $10 less this has 3 channel electronics and bearings which Carisma cheaped out on in favor of bushings.
Agreed.

Quote:
...Pretty sure I have a full metal Danally big block stroker stashed away as well as an OG CC micro Sidewinder, it was too much for my Losi if I remember right, gonna be a looooong week
Sweet, those were great motors and ESC.

Quote:
I agree, and Axial/horizon proves it's possible to have good electronics and bearings around the $100 price range.
Carismas MSA-1E has a decent suspension and electronics, but overall the under-sized motor, ugly non scale chassis, wheels, tires, and bushings instead of bearings are disappointing for $120-$130
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
I swear I have been waiting for Axial to do a 1/24 crawler like this for as long as I can remember. So as soon as I saw these were a thing, I preordered but was a little late.

First impressions are that this is probably the most bang I've ever gotten for my buck with an RC. I am extremely satisfied with the quality of the kit, the design of the truck itself, and the performance out of the box.

Simply put this is an amazing little rig. I want to play with the wheelbase, and try different tires. The last 1/24 I bought was the Proline Ambush. This is leagues above that. I can't wait to take it down to the river. Not wasting my time with the Ambush anymore. This is the new backpack crawler. This seems to the be the most well thought out 1/24 RC Crawler to date imo. Hope an aftermarket pops up, these things are rad.
Great news and pictures, need a backpack crawler! Agreed on aftermarket.

Quote:
I trimmed the top bar and light pods off and flipped what was left upside down.

I will probably put some RC4WD beadlocks and a set of there tires on it once the black beadlocks come back to stock.
Looks mobetter! RC4WD steel beadlocks should definitely help, just like in 1/10scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
My son and I had a friendly competition in the backyard. He had his SCX24 and I had my CR24. I wasn't able to do a tenth of what he was doing, so I grabbed my SCX24 and we had fun until it got dark.

I absolutely love these little guys. It's incredible how capable they are, especially after seeing my beloved CR-24 be put to absolute shame.
Great fun with your son, awesome, lights included really a bonus. Course looks like fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Do you think marine grease would work on the shock shafts instead of green slime?
Yes, or I'd probably try a drop of 3000wt diff fluid inside.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #104

Just got mine and def top heavy. Need to get the weight lower. Seems too narrow and long in stock config. I bought it for the worm gears and electronics and could care less about the looks.
Z06 Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

So I'm looking into what batteries might be a good replacement for the stock ones (I have a bad one and it sounds fairly common with others). I'm looking for one that's similar weight and dimensions ideally.

So far the best fit seems like a E Flight 450 mah, but I'm still waiting till I measure the stock battery https://www.amainhobbies.com/eflite-...02sj30/p147151 The E Flight battery specs:W L H= 29.2x54x10.2 and weighs 1 oz
But I only checked RPP and Amains

Has anyone else found a good replacement battery?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
So I'm looking into what batteries might be a good replacement for the stock ones (I have a bad one and it sounds fairly common with others). I'm looking for one that's similar weight and dimensions ideally.

So far the best fit seems like a E Flight 450 mah, but I'm still waiting till I measure the stock battery https://www.amainhobbies.com/eflite-...02sj30/p147151 The E Flight battery specs:W L H= 29.2x54x10.2 and weighs 1 oz

Im using this one with a JST connector I soldered to it. We have the length no problem IF using stock battery placement.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The next one I think I might try is this...

https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-Batt...gateway&sr=8-7

But I'm also using a wire adapter from my stock ESC that becomes JST instead of the small white plug (no clue what its called).
Old 06-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Just got mine and def top heavy. Need to get the weight lower. Seems too narrow and long in stock config. I bought it for the worm gears and electronics and could care less about the looks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Stone-4...QAAOSwRLZUEeMk

Problem solved.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

I think that white plug is a PH 2.0.

That 2nd one linked is the heaviest one I've seen so far at 1.7 oz, most of the others are close to 1 oz. I personally dont think that I need the extra capacity, I seem to get 45 minutes or so run time with the stock 350 mah.

BTW Amain has both of those batteries for less (IMHO Amazon is a terrible place to shop for most RC stuff) https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ac...-b1007/p578767 https://www.amainhobbies.com/tattu-2...p-xt30/p635608

Quote:
those are interesting though I'd rather avoid spacing out the wheels.

I know the old put some BB's in the tires trick has been cast aside now but I wonder if that might actually work good on a mini. After all the stock wheels dont even use a foam.

I also started looking for a sub micro servo and remembered that Amain (Eco Power) just released a sub micro servo for the TRX-4. At the time they released I was thinking well thats just too much torque for the diffs and 2 speed on the TRX-4 but hey this might be nice for this application. It has 64 oz in/13 kg cm which looks to be roughly twice as powerful as most. Though I wasn't able to find any specs on the Axial AS-1 servo so I dont have a point of reference. The Eco Power 640 is unfortunately one of the most expensive sub micro servo's at $29.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-640t/p859667

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I know the old put some BB's in the tires trick has been cast aside now but I wonder if that might actually work good on a mini. After all the stock wheels dont even use a foam.
I use 1/4” lead tape wrapped around the wheels. It’s sold as a wrap to add weight to tennis rackets.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #110

Quote:
I think that white plug is a PH 2.0.

That 2nd one linked is the heaviest one I've seen so far at 1.7 oz, most of the others are close to 1 oz. I personally dont think that I need the extra capacity, I seem to get 45 minutes or so run time with the stock 350 mah.

BTW Amain has both of those batteries for less (IMHO Amazon is a terrible place to shop for most RC stuff) https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ac...-b1007/p578767 https://www.amainhobbies.com/tattu-2...p-xt30/p635608

those are interesting though I'd rather avoid spacing out the wheels.

I also started looking for a sub micro servo and remembered that Amain (Eco Power) just released a sub micro servo for the TRX-4. At the time they released I was thinking well thats just too much torque for the diffs and 2 speed on the TRX-4 but hey this might be nice for this application. It has 64 oz in/13 kg cm which looks to be roughly twice as powerful as most. Though I wasn't able to find any specs on the Axial AS-1 servo so I dont have a point of reference. The Eco Power 640 is unfortunately one of the most expensive sub micro servo's at $29.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-640t/p859667
I’ve added 20 bb’s to each of my wheels which added ~1 oz. or 12.5% more unsprung weight to the rig bringing the stock overall weight from 8.1 oz with battery to 9.1 oz. and I can definitely tell the difference! I’ve got the mil stone 4 spacers also on the way which should add an additional ~1 oz. and 6 mm in width, hopefully making it even less tippy.
Gtjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #111

Quote:

I’ve got these batteries and connectors on the way, which are as close to the stock size as I could find and they’re Ovonics which I have many of and I’ve been super happy with.

Ovonic 450mah batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV987XB..._6c09CbGFVMD80

JST-PH 2.0 Male and Female Connector Cable for Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NWD5NTN..._.f09Cb2CTPTTJ
Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

JST is the manufacturer, not the style of plug so the white battery and motor plug on the SCX24 (also same motor plug for most micro crawlers) is the JST PH 2.0 and the red JST plug on many lipos like the RC4WD is a JST RCY.

For micro battery packs I've been using ValueHobby GeForce packs since the Losi micro days and they've been great.
I happened to have this 350mah for $4.50 with the same specs and dimensions, but it's currently out of stock (check the email reminder)
http://www.valuehobby.com/30c-350mah-2s-jst.html

Another option is this 500mah for $5.55
It's the same length and width, just a little thicker, but stilt fits under the body while giving an extra 150mah.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...h-2s-lipo.html

If you want something around the same capacity for cheap this 350mah is only $3.60 http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-lipo.html

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

This is the 350mah I had laying around. Identical in size and spec. That 500mah is the same, but thicker. Still fits under the body however.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Lots more good info, I'd keep the 2S lipo around stock size as it's getting good runtime and keeps the weight down. Buy a couple if you want more time. That AMain Ecopower servo sounds good, gotta pay to play sometimes and if it lasts, it's worth not replacing cheap crap 3-4 times.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
JST is the manufacturer, not the style of plug so the white battery and motor plug on the SCX24 (also same motor plug for most micro crawlers) is the JST PH 2.0 and the red JST plug on many lipos like the RC4WD is a JST RCY.

Thank you. I appreciate the education. Very good to know.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

I'm usually a fan of the smallest size pack for the intended run time.
90% of my micro lipos are 350mah about the shape of the Losi Micro NIMH and get me roughly 30 minutes depending on the rig, terrain, and driving which imo is plenty especially when you have spares to swap.

I do however like my flat cell packs like the GeForce and scx24 dynamite. They fit well nice and low.

I've run GeForce packs in my micros and 1/10 for many years without failures (excluding one that was my fault) but for micros I've also run HobbyKing, Rhino, and TURNIGY nanotech.

That $17 e-flight is pretty expensive for such a small pack compared that 5$ pack. I don't think the extra 2c charging rate with 100mah less capacity is worth an extra $12

Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate the education. Very good to know.

Definitely makes it easier to find plugs and pigtails!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtjoshua View Post
I’ve added 20 bb’s to each of my wheels
Since the stock tires aren't beadlock, how did you do this? Deglue then glue them back together?
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Since the stock tires aren't beadlock, how did you do this? Deglue then glue them back together?
I just made a small slit in the inner sidewall large enough for a bb to fit through. I made mine right in the middle T in Nitto. And after shoving 20 bb’s in each wheel then another 10, then removing those 10, none of the holes ripped any further. It’ll close itself right back up and you’ll never tell it was there. I guess if you’re worried about it or plan on running through water you could put a dab of rubber cement over the slit if you so inclined.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

The more I look and read on this thing the more I want one. Even the individual parts at Horizon are competitively priced. Axles and tranny for about $65.

I personally like the pizza cutter tires. If the wheels are slightly smaller then the tires should be, too. I’m ordering a set to play around white on my couple of rigs.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

New Axial scx 24 deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX 10.2 Jeep XJ Body on SCX 10 Deadbolt? sacsmitty Axial SCX-10 5 08-15-2018 12:16 PM
My new Axial SCX-10 Deadbolt KA7EII Axial SCX-10 4 05-21-2016 09:24 PM
New scx 10 deadbolt BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 8 07-25-2014 10:00 AM