Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Animalhippie's Micro Scaler Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Animalhippie's Micro Scaler Adventure

Hey guys, just started digging into building my micro scaler this weekend. It all started from a bag full of Losi micro trekker and crawler parts I got from an amazing friend. A few details & some pics. I'm starting with a set of rc4wd 1/18 T-Rex micro Axles

Also using the Losi trans. Not sure if I'm going to keep trying to locate a pinion for the motor that's on the trans currently or if I'm going to hunt down a different motor for this rig. I hand built my frame out of 1/4" box aluminum that I had laying around.

Yes, that is e6000 holding the frame together. I wanted to keep mocking stuff up and didn't have the correct solder for the aluminum. Picking that up today. So I can get it put together correctly. I told the wife when she went to Wally world to pick out and pick up a 1/24 scale new bright RC truck for $10. I think it will work out cool.

Once I made sure the body was going to be an ok fit I went ahead and cut the extra plastic that was in the way of the frame and this is where it currently sits.

Unfortunately with the trans being so tall. The frame has to hang down but I'll figure out something to hide that a bit down the road. I plan on doing a little bit of cutting to this body but hopefully not too much. Once I get the links and shocks mounted I'll know more about what needs to be cut. That's about it for now. Hope you guys like it. Always open for advice and help. Let me know what you think.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Animalhippie's Micro Scaler Adventure

That looks like the Spin brushless heli motor. Have you run it before this project? Interesting.
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayray View Post
That looks like the Spin brushless heli motor. Have you run it before this project? Interesting.
I did for about 10 ft before it spun the motor shaft inside the plastic pinion. Found some 10t brass ones that might fit. They're in the UK somewhere, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Guess I should just go for it. Before I go trying to find a new motor. You have some info on those motors? Very little info on the net about it.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I used to fly my Blade mcpx heli with a Spin motor. I forget what kV though it was 1s. Its one of the beasty motors we used.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

This one is a Spin HO46-8800kv now looking into it. It's only a 1s motor. I only have 2s& 3s batteries I'll probably look into getting rid of it and the ESC. That way I can buy a good motor for this rig. Any recommendations on a motor?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I don't know of any suitable BL motors in a micro size. Maybe others can chime in. Even in 1/10th, sensored BL motors are recommended for slow control. John Holmes of Holmes hobbies stated in one of his videos that brushed motors are innately good at low-speed control for crawlers, but sensored BL motors are excellent. Non-sensored would cog at low speeds, but some non-sensored BL motors can minimize, but not eliminate it.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'll probably just go brushed. Just don't know where to begin when it comes to micro motors. I have another brushed ESC like the one in my micro comp Crawler still in the package. It's a bit coggy tho. Might try a different one. Trying to stay low budget as much as possible.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

In the other thread we were talking about some 050 motors, but idk about your transmission if it can take a larger one like a 130 or something.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I will check that thread out. My other micro has a hand wound big block in it. Pretty sure this trans will handle a 130 motor. I have to correct myself. I just found manufacturer web site for the spin. This one is 2s Max. Guess I'll go ahead and order the brass pinion I found and see how it goes. Too bad shipping is more then the part. Lol
Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

A little trick to keeping the pinion from slipping is to put some dental floss through the hole before pressing it onto the motor shaft. It makes a super tight contact. I’ve used this method for other micro brushless motors and it seemed to work well.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
A little trick to keeping the pinion from slipping is to put some dental floss through the hole before pressing it onto the motor shaft. It makes a super tight contact. I’ve used this method for other micro brushless motors and it seemed to work well.
My pinion was really loose and all I have to hold it is red loctite. I'm sure this dental floss trick will really help!

Animal hippie, what mod 10t do you need? what bore size is it?

If it's a 1.5mm shaft, 10t brass pinions are usually hidden inside a broken 1/10th steering servo (if you had one)

Last edited by Xrayray; 05-21-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Good start.I really want to see thos axles in action!
bolo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
Nice trick bro! Might have to try that. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayray View Post
My pinion was really loose and all I have to hold it is red loctite. I'm sure this dental floss trick will really help!

Animal hippie, what mod 10t do you need? what bore size is it?

If it's a 1.5mm shaft, 10t brass pinions are usually hidden inside a broken 1/10th steering servo (if you had one)
0.3mod 1.5mm shaft I'd like to go 10t. I tried the servo gear before and tried from another one tonight. Seems way too loose but I could be wrong. I will try the dental floss trick and see what happens tomorrow after work. The gears in both the servos I have are 13t so hopefully it won't be too fast or not do good at crawl speed. We will see. I have the trekker frame and axles sitting there so might drop it in just to see what it does. Thanks for the help guys!

Bolo79: thanks bro! Hopefully soon!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I've had some that needed heat to expand them and slip on, and some slide too easily without a retainer. Seems the tolerances are different on some.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Off to a good start! You might want to ditch that losi trans if you want to have any crawl ability. Those axles are geared pretty high. I would look for a sumo or hbx trans.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
Off to a good start! You might want to ditch that losi trans if you want to have any crawl ability. Those axles are geared pretty high. I would look for a sumo or hbx trans.

I will do a test this evening and see turn for turn how much of a difference between the two axles (losi vs rc4wd). You have any links to either of those trans? From looking at the sumo. Looks like I could probably get the frame up higher in the middle if I used the trans from it. Since it doesn't have that big drop like the trekker.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
RCC Addict

What do you guys think about the rc4wd Gelande II trans? I see that the motor options for the sumo trans are slim. I found that the axles I have are 2.53:1 anyone know what the ratio of the trekker worm gear axles is? I really want to use these axles but don't want this rig to be fast.

On another note I used a needle threader to pull 4 pieces of the flat dental floss through the gear I pulled out of a servo to use as a pinion. Went on tight and doesn't have any slack in it. Might throw that setup in the comp crawler just to see if it works. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Animalhippie's Micro Scaler Adventure

The Losi wormgear axles are geared way down like 11.5:1 or something.

Expecting similar from Axial’s new micro, too.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The Losi wormgear axles are geared way down like 11.5:1 or something.

Expecting similar from Axial’s new micro, too.

Whoa! That is a big difference. Guess I need to really rethink the trans or run a forward motor with a transfer case. Open to any suggestions you guys might have. Hate when a project turns into a prooooooject. The wife's gonna love me needing to buy some more stuff :-)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The stock WPL tranny is around 2.3:1. They are faster they I would rather have as a crawler though.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

Animalhippie's Micro Scaler Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure AnimalHippie Traxxas TRX-4 410 02-09-2023 06:16 PM
Fun Micro adventure with my 7yr old... beauregard Videos! 3 04-03-2014 06:56 AM
My first scaler adventure uclabruins89 Axial SCX-10 19 07-09-2013 02:36 AM
front yard micro adventure alterchristopher Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 03-26-2011 03:22 PM