Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Does the usb lipo charger that comes with the SCX24 work with other lipos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Does the usb lipo charger that comes with the SCX24 work with other lipos?

The Horizon and Axial websites haven't been too helpful, but I'm assuming that the SCX24 included USB charger will work with other lipo batteries (smaller, micro packs, not those for 1/10 scale), right?

It's neat little charger.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Does the usb lipo charger that comes with the SCX24 work with other lipos?

I think it should - pretty sure there’s a small guide printed on the charger itself that outlines some useful stuff about the types of batteries it can charge. I have mine here at the airport, I’ll pull it out when I settle down and read it off.

Charges via the balance connector so I would assume any small 2S would work.

Edit - it says:

input: 5V2A
output: 4.2v per cell 800mA
max battery size 2S

I feel like if it was intended only for the stock pack it’d have some sort of warning stating that.

Last edited by jessedacri; 05-31-2019 at 12:21 PM.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Does the usb lipo charger that comes with the SCX24 work with other lipos?

Thanks for the info. I've never charged lipos through a balance plug only - seems strange to me, so I'm extra cautious.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Thanks for the info. I've never charged lipos through a balance plug only - seems strange to me, so I'm extra cautious.
Yeah - I’ll wait for some others to weigh in here too as I’m new to micro scale stuff. I like to be able to monitor voltages and charger activity through a traditional charger but this is definitely nice to throw in the backpack and go.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Its not a bad way of charging. My Blade 130x heli came with a Horizon 2s charger that did it through the balance plug too, the lipo didn't have a standard discharge plug, just the balance plug.

It also shouldn't be charged too fast through that lead though.
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Considering this charger doesn't have a storage charge option, how are you guys managing these little lipos? Keeping them fully charged? The manual says to charge them after use..

I feel like this is the first time using LIPO batteries Without having my traditional charger, this seems so foreign.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

No way man you'll puff them. Just run it down to 3.8 or 3.9. Use a lipo checker or regular voltmeter to check.

You can also use the monitor function of your high end charger and check through the balance port.
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My plan is to try to round up a plug like the battery lead (not the balance plug) and to make an adapter that I can plug into a regular charger. I've only seen chargers like this before but I assume its doing a balance charge since its hooked up the the balance lead.

I too though it was odd that they say after use charge again... wait what?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes it charges regular 2s lipos through the balance Port just like the Ambush or RC4WD's new USB charger for the mini gelande. Just make sure the USB charger you are using for the lipo charger gives at least 2 amps of current.

as far as a storage charge I mainly use this for quick charging so a storage charge isn't needed unless you know you are putting it away for more than a few days. if you plan to store it you should get a proper balance charger to do a storage charge but I suppose if it was your first rc and only charger you could just drive it for about 25% of the time it took you to empty it. I would say 10 to 15 minutes should do it.
Definitely invest in a lipo cell checker big are usually less than $5 and a very valuable tool

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
My plan is to try to round up a plug like the battery lead (not the balance plug) and to make an adapter that I can plug into a regular charger. I've only seen chargers like this before but I assume its doing a balance charge since its hooked up the the balance lead.

I too though it was odd that they say after use charge again... wait what?
Did they mean "Charge before every use"? lol

Just got mine. Going to try to charge and/ or store with my IMAX B6AC v2.

Last edited by high plains drifter; 05-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Just make sure the USB charger you are using for the lipo charger gives at least 2 amps of current.
Thats a bit hard when almost all USB ports put out .5 amps.

All I know is I've been charging for about 3 hours and its still not done, it listed a 2 hour charge time. Anyway I wont be using this charger for too long.

EDIT: oh and on the subject of odd things in the manual I found this line:
"never lick or place any portion of the model in your mouth as it could cause serious injury or death"......noted

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-31-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Definitely invest in a lipo cell checker big are usually less than $5 and a very valuable tool
Yup! I've got several and use it quite often on the trails with my 1/10 scale trucks.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thats a bit hard when almost all USB ports put out .5 amps.

All I know is I've been charging for about 3 hours and its still not done, it listed a 2 hour charge time. Anyway I wont be using this charger for too long.
USB 3.0 with a blue center will do as much as 3 amps, however I would assume these are intended to be used more often with a USB power supply for a cell phone charger. Most of those are two amps or more

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
USB 3.0 with a blue center will do as much as 3 amps, however I would assume these are intended to be used more often with a USB power supply for a cell phone charger. Most of those are two amps or more

Thanks, I think I had the battery not fully plugged in or something, for 3 hours it was flashing red (the manual doesn't say what that indicates). I re-seated the plug and its now solid red so user error

I did a tiny test at lunch driving over some shoes and I felt like the throttle control was very good much better than I expected. It should be a lot of fun and I can see a second one in my future.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Be careful with these, I just took mine with me on my first work trip and it broke on its second charge ever. Did some hotel room course building and crawling, went to plug the micro USB in and the whole female side of the port broke off
The board. RIP travel crawler fun for this weekend.

I emailed horizon in hopes theyll replace it.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

it can charge any other 2s lipo. it isn't very fast at it however!

the largest concern with these is be careful when charging larger packs about how HOT it gets. if it overheats it could damage the charger!
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread, but this seemed like a good place to post my initial experience with the SCX charging setup...

I wanted to check that the battery was properly Balanced out of the box, so I began by hooking it up to my Hitec X1 AC Plus charger.

On the LiPo program and auto sensing, it recognized the battery as a 2S. The cells were perfectly balanced, and it took 11min 33 seconds to charge to full.

I purchased a spare battery with the Deadbolt, and it was also perfectly balanced out of the box. The Initial cell voltages were 4.17V and 4.17V for the primary battery, and 4.16v And 4.16V for the spare.

The spare battery only took 2min 28sec to top up.

Strangely, the capacity numbers at full charge were around 185. The Hitech manual doesn’t say what units that represents, but it seems like an odd value for a 350mAh pack...

Last edited by steve_rolfeca; 11-07-2020 at 02:29 PM.
steve_rolfeca is offline   Reply With Quote

Does the usb lipo charger that comes with the SCX24 work with other lipos? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast Lipo Charger for new lipos? Jaymon Electronics 29 05-17-2010 12:45 AM