Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Whittling on a SCX24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Whittling on a SCX24

I've been having fun with the SCX24, its my first mini but it seems pretty good out of the box. Of course having springs and no shocks will make it bouncy which it is, and it will also unload the suspension easily on a side hill or at the tipping point on a steep slope. But that comes with the territory I suppose and its still fun.

First mod was to try some bigger tires. There was some minor body rub issues so I scrapped that idea.

Back to reality I did mount up some RC4WD MT/R's on RC4WD beadlocks and I've always disliked their wheels for being so fiddly but there just aren't many other options.

I ended up mounting up one tire without issue but the rest of the wheels were stripping out as I was trying to tighten the first screws. They just dont give you screws long enough to get it started easily, I really struggled and got pissed even broke an nice 1.5mm MIP. The threads would grab for a second and then strip out, really frustrating! These wheels use a M 1.5 screw or something small that I just dont have on hand otherwise I'd have just grabbed some longer screws. They really should provide at least 2 longer screws bare minimum.

One other tip, I took the wheel hubs and put a tiny bit of loctite between the hub and the wheel where they mate, with a few screws keeping it aligned and tight. I let these dry and and harden so the hub would stay put, otherwise with these loose it adds an extra level of complexity to assembling the wheels that I'd prefer not to deal with.

So a day later I rounded up some washers and put a few slots in one to make a clamp. Its a 2.5mm screw run through one half of the wheel to the other, various sized washers and a nut. Getting 2 of the hub screws started before fully tightening the clamp helps to keep the bolt holes aligned.

I whittled down the roll cage to just the basic structure (and removed the bumper lights)

removed the light bar and 3D printed a simple straight bar. I added 2 holes in the bar so I could stash the body pins there.

I designed up a new rear hinge that allows the body to flip back farther and lowers the body by 4.5mm.

I also relocated the ESC/Receiver to the rear originally thinking I might print up a mount. I found the housing fits nicely between the frame rails and decided to glue it in place with E6000. I made sure to get it as low as possible without interfering with links and that the switch had room to function.

Clearance to the links (compressed)

To go along with the lowered body in the rear I made up new Shock/Body mounts and integrated a front batter tray that allows the battery to be oriented horizontal or longitudinal. Getting the body mount to line up means moving the body post down one hole on the new body mount (as low as it can go) which drops it 4.5mm to match the rear.

This is how its sits now with it 4.5mm lower, I also cut 3mm or so off bottom of the body at the door sil

At max flex the tires just graze the body, its basically as low as it goes without cutting the fenders open.

Problems, I have a bad battery that's showing a ton or internal resistance, 109 and 87. I need to get in contact with Horizon and see if they will send another battery.

I also ran into an issues with the front dogbone axle. Its pin is not fixed in place and wandered outward scarring up the inner C-hub and eventually locking up. I may CA them in place it it happens again.

I can get over the little shortcomings its still a really fun platform without mods. With the mods I've done starting with just Tires and beadlocks (RC4WD stamped steel wheels and their MT/R's) I felt a huge difference. I weighed it and did some math and the new tires and wheels added 19% more total weight (+1.7 oz). So yes bad for rotational mass but with all of this weight added down low it really helps to keep it from flopping over on its back or its side.
That alone was a big improvement over stock but the electronics and battery tray rearrangement plus the roll cage whittling also added to the balance. I found myself able to sidehill much better in areas that it would have flopped over previously. Its getting close to being as planted as a nice 1.9 rig It really has impressed me and I may just have to get a second.

I ordered some Carisma oil filled shocks on Spooo76's recommendations.

Oh and I made up a new 3D printed 1 piece front bumper

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Whittling on a SCX24

"like"
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As of tonight I also have an issue with the battery. It seems the LVC didn't work and now one cell is only 1.5v. I need to email horizon

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

One plus is that their little basic charger doesnt mind charging these imbalanced batteries, lol
Old 06-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
One plus is that their little basic charger doesnt mind charging these imbalanced batteries, lol
Well, it's a balance charger so hopefully. However when one cell gets below 2v it doesn't charge which has been a problem for a few people.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wow! you haven't wasted any time. Looks good. Im excited to see what mods people come up with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Duramarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love what you did to the rollbars! Well done. I like your wheel setup too. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hey how long are those carmisa shocks? Are they 34mm? or longer? Anyone know? And are they spring load adjustable? Hard to tell.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramarks View Post
Wow! you haven't wasted any time. Looks good. Im excited to see what mods people come up with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, this thing really responds well to mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I love what you did to the rollbars! Well done. I like your wheel setup too. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The added weight of the wheels has really stepped up its performance. I've never like the monkey bar style of modern cages, back to the dark ages I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Hey how long are those carmisa shocks? Are they 34mm? or longer? Anyone know? And are they spring load adjustable? Hard to tell.

I actually know nothing about those shocks other than the fact that the use oil, I cant really see a preload on these but I might be wrong. Hopefully spoo76 see's the question, he might know more since I think he has one of the Carisma minis and he's a bit more of an expert in this mini realm.

The body I ordered showed up today and I really dont think I'll be able to bring myself to use it. I just think the weight penalty will be too much and seeing how well its doing after the mods I've done so far makes that even less likely.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-03-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey friend, cool rig. Can you post a link to that battery tray? And how does the rid respond to the battery being more forward?
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcanbefun View Post
Hey friend, cool rig. Can you post a link to that battery tray? And how does the rid respond to the battery being more forward?

Thanks, I added the battery tray along with a host of other mods at the same time so I cant really speak to it specifically. Though I can say its greatly improved over stock after all of the mods.

I'll try to get a final version and post up links to the files some time this week, but I want to make a few adjustments first.

Maybe you can answer a question for me, since the battery tray and built in body mounts lower the body by 4.5mm.
Would you want this lowered mount or one that sits at the stock height?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Wow, very nice job Casey! I was thinking the cage and bar lights need a trim too, definitely helps crawling and looks good. For the dogbone pin, gently press it out about halfway and use a drop of red Loctite or Sleeve Retainer, press it back into centered position and it should never move again without heat and/or a small pin press.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Wow, very nice job Casey! I was thinking the cage and bar lights need a trim too, definitely helps crawling and looks good. For the dogbone pin, gently press it out about halfway and use a drop of red Loctite or Sleeve Retainer, press it back into centered position and it should never move again without heat and/or a small pin press.
Natedogs in the house!

Since I went micro, I hardly see your name in the threads anymore. Good to see your still active!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Nate Loctite does sound much safer than CA
Old 06-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks, I added the battery tray along with a host of other mods at the same time so I cant really speak to it specifically. Though I can say its greatly improved over stock after all of the mods.

I'll try to get a final version and post up links to the files some time this week, but I want to make a few adjustments first.

Maybe you can answer a question for me, since the battery tray and built in body mounts lower the body by 4.5mm.

That battery tray design is nice! I was worried the battery would stick out too far of the fenders. But that looks very nice. Well done and wheres your shapeways store?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Bigworm, wassup? I still read around and see your threads, sold my ECX Barrage with the sweet 1985 Toyota cab/cage back, got too many projects. This looks interesting though lol.

Loctite is a much better bond in this instance and is not a brittle hold like CA can be. Make sure red or sleeve retainer though as blue is not enough in this application.

Ya, his printed stuff is very nice in pictures and holding the actual parts!

Those Carisma shocks look great and price is nice!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Hmmm. I think the stock height. However a lowered body would make it less tippy for sure which I kinda think it needs. I'm willing to give both a try or just one and post some pictures and give you some feedback. I have my own 3d printer.

Also thanks alot I appreciate it. This car is way too much fun to modify. The bigger space makes it easier than a losi micro to.
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks, this thing really responds well to mods.

The added weight of the wheels has really stepped up its performance. I've never like the monkey bar style of modern cages, back to the dark ages I say!

I actually know nothing about those shocks other than the fact that the use oil, I cant really see a preload on these but I might be wrong. Hopefully spoo76 see's the question, he might know more since I think he has one of the Carisma minis and he's a bit more of an expert in this mini realm.

The body I ordered showed up today and I really dont think I'll be able to bring myself to use it. I just think the weight penalty will be too much and seeing how well its doing after the mods I've done so far makes that even less likely.

That body looks like it would be sweet.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking about ways to lighten up the Toyota body. I may cut the bed and just leave the bed sides or "Truggie" it and 3d print a back cage. I think I may get another just to put this body on, I've had it in my cart for 3 days already lol

The basic parts to make the Toyota body weigh 2.1 oz and the stock (read highly modded) body weighs .9 oz (I've trimmed a bit off the body on all sides, trimmed and simplified the cage a ton so I'm not sure where the stock body sits, maybe 1.3 or 1.4 oz?)

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-05-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

First thing I pulled off the shelf to test..... Choosing what body is going to be fun
Attached Images

odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Whittling on a SCX24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 unboxing pictures spoo76 Micro Scale Rigs 63 03-25-2020 06:09 PM
Battery for SCX24 Duramarks Micro Scale Rigs 3 05-17-2019 10:49 AM
Axial SCX24 Trail Honcho WAFFLE General Scale Talk 4 01-24-2014 04:42 PM
Whittling / Carving... RANOVRU Chit Chat 15 06-01-2012 08:01 PM