Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Run WPL from an old Nikko controler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Default Run WPL from an old Nikko controler.

Hi all, I just registered and this is my first post after the one on the newbies post.

I bought a WPL C24 RTR some weeks ago and it even it is funny as it is, it obviously needs some work done and dramatically improve some aspects to make it perform as I want (steering, torque, brake, battery duration).

I am ready to order some parts, but regarding the electronics, I have a crucial doubt: I would like to use the controler I have from an old NIKKO truck that I still have. It's a stick controler, as opposed to the gun one that came stock. I have allways prefered stick controlers.

Please forgive my extremely basic questions: Could I run the WPL with upgraded electronics using the NIKKO controler?
Will the car have that self braking feature so useful in crawling? (Please forgive me if I use wrong words or concepts... still learning).

I am ordering the following from BG to improve the electronics:
-20/30A Mini Brush ESC Brake
-Receiver
-WPL Rc Car Truck Servo 17g 3.5kg

Is this OK or complete crap? Is it all I need for the car to properly run? Will I be able to use LiPo batteries?

Sorry for so many questions at once. The answers might look like obvious to you but eletcronics are black magic to me.

VRvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Run WPL from an old Nikko controler.

It depends on what frequency receiver you buy. Most receivers nowadays are 2.4 ghz which I can almost guarantee will not work. However 2.4 ghz stick radios are used for rc planes and are readily available and cheap should you stick with them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

So you have bought an RTR and want to convert it to hobby grade? It is a good move but I wish you started with a kit to begin with.

Starting from the very end: You admit it is black magic. My advice is keep it simple and do not try to convert/adapt different pieces of hardware - it is not going to work. Please forget about nikko controller. Get a combo transmitter receiver. FlySky is a brand I went with - relatively inexpensive but good quality and feature rich ( in my book at least ). Consider learning how to use car remote ( pistol type with wheel and trigger for throttle break ).

Here is my remote, and receiver is included. Later you can just keep buying new receivers and use the same remote.

If you insist on stick radio just pick one FlySky with minimum number of channels ( probably 4 ). ESC you picked looks good, although some people say they do not last.
Connecting it all is easy and most components come with some diagrams. Ask if you have any specific questions.

TLDR version - I have no idea what your nikko controller is good for. Do what others did before you. Buy trusted RC components and profit.
JerryIRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Is this your controller?

If so, you can get futaba 2ch 27MHz AM receiver. Or any other 2ch AM receivers. It is antiquated tech but it is going to work. I have that Futaba receiver in my Orlandoo!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRvander View Post
It's a stick controler, as opposed to the gun one that came stock. I have allways prefered stick controlers.

Please forgive my extremely basic questions: Could I run the WPL with upgraded electronics using the NIKKO controler?
Will the car have that self braking feature so useful in crawling? (Please forgive me if I use wrong words or concepts... still learning).
Short answer, no :( Your Nikko stick controller can not control modern hobby grade electronics. You would need to get a Nikko control module from a compatible truck, and wire it into the WPL. It would not drive well at all.

Quote:
I am ordering the following from BG to improve the electronics:
-20/30A Mini Brush ESC Brake
-Receiver
-WPL Rc Car Truck Servo 17g 3.5kg

Is this OK or complete crap? Is it all I need for the car to properly run? Will I be able to use LiPo batteries?
Your list of parts are not complete crap. The "receiver" will depend on what controller you want to use. If you buy a hobby grade remote to replace the Nikko, you should get a compatible reciever with it.

The 20/30A Mini ESC with brake will be good enough for a WPL, and you can use 2S LiPO with it.

Any 17g servo should be fine.

Here is a list of the parts I use for my WPL Build:

3 channel transmitter with receiver:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flysky-FS-G...4a2f%7Ciid%3A1

20A Brushed ESC:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Brush-M...4a2f%7Ciid%3A1

1000mah 2S Lipo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7-4V-100...gAAOSwaDZay0-r

9gram metal gear servo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG90S-Micro...ss!95677!US!-1
TheSubaruJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

I remember using the same controller on different cars. That's why I wanted to use de Nikko. It is smaller than the Sanwa Dash Saber that I also own (bought it together with my Tamiya Wrangler CC01 I bought around 1994-95 with all the money mi 12 y.o. me had saved for years). Being small is a good thing: I could easily carry the WPL and the controller in a small backpack on the motorbike.

What you say makes me think the Dash Saber won't work either...

The reason I have the RTR version is because that's what the local hobby shop had available. I would have deffinetely prefered a kit, but when possible I try to shop in the neighbourhood or city. But with what I now know, the kit version would have been my choice, even if it meant online shopping. But I will stick to what I have (or is the kit version so much better, even if planning on changing electronics?)

@JerryIRacer that is a similar controller, but not the same.

I loved this truck. So much fun. Don't know the models name. It needs new tyres but the rest is fine. A very well made toy, I would say.
https://ibb.co/k8TktvH
https://ibb.co/vjmFFcz
https://ibb.co/gZYkzNk

Thanks for all the parts suggestions

Last edited by VRvander; 06-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Good looking oldie! I was thinking about your controller today and came to the conclusion that the fact of having 27MHz crystal does not guarantee compatibility with Futaba. I used to have several 1:28 XMods, all of them had crystals, were proportional and not hobby grade.

The closest I could find was this controller. it comes with matching receiver. I am not into planes so I cant really say if it connects just like cars: Ch1 steering, Ch2 ESC... I hope it comes with some documentation explaining things up.

Come back and tell us how things went for you, please.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Well, apparently I gained myself a ban after only three messages. Guess that is a record, not being a troll nor bot nor trying to sell anything.

In the meantime, some new parts arrived.

- Metal transfer Gearbox + 370 Motor
- Servo 17g 3.5kg
- Ball head rod set
- Metal pull rod set

But the electronics didn't. They showed as being processed and after two weeks without shipping them I was ofered a change or refund, as they were out of stock.
So no "20/30A Mini Brush ESC" and remote+receiver for me.

Today I went to otwo different hobby shops in the city. Both told me it is impossible to get anything for such a small crawler... I reaally prefer to buy local and not through internet, but...
Old 06-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

I enjoy watching pictures, so this is my contribution.

Having fun close to home during these last weeks while I waited for parts (albeit the battery range is too short for my taste).

I might try it on the beach tomorrow. I know the stock 130 motor won't be enough but let's see.

Run WPL from an old Nikko controler. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which controler to get TOOL01 Newbie General 7 10-04-2012 08:10 PM
which controler to get TOOL01 Newbie General 0 11-08-2011 09:00 PM
controler t-boner Newbie General 4 04-01-2010 12:00 PM