Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Son's SCX24 motor died [emoji30]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Son's SCX24 motor died

I called early in the morning about my two servos and one USB charger at they sent replacement parts out the same day. The motor should be something they have in stock. If not you can temporarily run a RC4WD motor if you'd like. It should have slightly more turns and be a little slower with the same motor plug.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
If not you can temporarily run a RC4WD motor if you'd like. It should have slightly more turns and be a little slower with the same motor plug.
I may have a look to see if my LHS has one. I do have a spare motor for the CR24, but I don't know if it will fit on the mounting plate and mesh properly (the plugs would need to be switched regardless).

EDIT: This motor? https://store.rc4wd.com/FF-030-Micro...or_p_4957.html Doesn't look like it even has wires on it out of the box.

Last edited by BashNSlash; 06-11-2019 at 08:07 AM.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

The lack of wires is probably just for the stock photo. If not it's easy enough to swap them out with a soldering iron. Just an option to get you running if you happen to have the parts locally or laying around. The CR-24 motor plugs should be the same JST PH 2.0 as every other 2 in 1 RTR micro crawler since the Ambush

Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I think that because of the ongoing binding issues in this front axle, I don't want to chance burning out another motor until the axle issue is resolved.

I can't say what that looks like (doubtful they'll send an entire front axle assembly), but I would like to figure this out quickly so my son can use it again.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Oh wow... That thing really got got chewed up! I'm guessing that the resistance was a result of the o-ring getting caught up in the gears and/ or additional resistance generated by the gears or shaft making contact with the inside of the housing. I'm also wondering if this could've been a design flaw or a cost-cutting measure ( rubber o-rings vs metal shims or a better designed gear system)?

Interested to see what others think.

Wow! It sure did!

Bash have you called them yet?

Sent from your iPhone.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Bash have you called them yet?
Called and sent them more details (and photos) by email. Not sure if they'll reply or just send out whatever parts need to be replaced.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Called and sent them more details (and photos) by email. Not sure if they'll reply or just send out whatever parts need to be replaced.
Since they seem to group all parts in bundles, chances are they WILL in fact send you another front axle.

I havent had to contact Horizon in years but the last time I did they were quick to send me new parts. And judging from Spoo76's post, Id like to think they will take care of you too.

Hopefully soon. If they approve it. See if you can fix the front you have yourself and make it a 4WS like I did.

Good luck buddy. Make sure they know you know people here and that they got taken care of too.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Since they seem to group all parts in bundles, chances are they WILL in fact send you another front axle.

I havent had to contact Horizon in years but the last time I did they were quick to send me new parts. And judging from Spoo76's post, Id like to think they will take care of you too.

Hopefully soon. If they approve it. See if you can fix the front you have yourself and make it a 4WS like I did.

Good luck buddy. Make sure they know you know people here and that they got taken care of too.
I'm sure they'll look after me. I've only had RC warranty experience with Traxxas, Team Associated, and Venom - and they've all been great. I hope that Axial/Horizon can continue the trend

I'm going to do another full teardown of that front axle and see if any other clues came up. I'd really love to know where that o-ring was supposed to be!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Someone in a FB group said they are sending him a whole axle to replace a hex pin, but the axle won't ship for a few weeks. My servos must have been in stock and supposedly went out the same day.

As far as your issue I would just take apart that axle rebuild it after checking. Turn the pinion input by hand. If it feels smooth you're good to go.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Turn the pinion input by hand. If it feels smooth you're good to go.
And if it only feels smooth in one direction? That seems to be what I'm getting now. I'm stumped!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

have you inspected the dogbones yet?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
have you inspected the dogbones yet?
No issues there. All pins are where they're supposed to be. No bends or surface wear that I can see. Bearings in the axle all seem smooth and working as expected.

I'll inspect things more thoroughly later today, but there weren't any glaring issues other than what I described previously.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And if it only feels smooth in one direction? That seems to be what I'm getting now. I'm stumped!
It should spin freely in both directions when turning the axle input. You shouldn't be able to turn it much or at all from the hexes.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

I noticed that my rear transmission output is off center and wobbles. Im not sure if the drive shaft D hole is off center, but Im leaning towards that since it doesnt wobble by hand at the output. But in reverse, I do sense some pulsating. More so at lower battery power too. Makes me wonder if I have something catching on mine. My motor get SO hot. I still get 40 mins of run time off a 430mah battery. But with all these issues popping up. Im wondering if I too have an issue.

I guess I will tear into mine later. I have a RC4WD motor I might try while Im at it. I think the stock pinion is 11 or 12T. And the RC4WD one is 10T.

Well shit. Hopefully these are all minor issues we can fix easily. Or lets hope we get all metal parts soon! = )
Old 06-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My motor get SO hot.
That sounds like an issue waiting to happen.

So I passed by my LHS to see if they had a mini gelande motor and they didn't. I ended up getting a Losi Micro Trail Trekker motor , which seems maybe like the next size down, but I'd have to solder new wires to it. Don't even know if it's worth the effort at this point.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That sounds like an issue waiting to happen.

So I passed by my LHS to see if they had a mini gelande motor and they didn't. I ended up getting a Losi Micro Trail Trekker motor , which seems maybe like the next size down, but I'd have to solder new wires to it. Don't even know if it's worth the effort at this point.
Agreed. Tear down will happen sooner than later.

If I have to tear apart my tranny, I will for sure try a RC4WD motor I have. I might try a long can FF-050 too. I have the ECX barrage long can motor that MIGHT fit if I remove the battery tray leg or tray all together to see if it fits. It seems the frame rails might be in the way too.

And from the pics, that motor you got looks like a normal FF-030 to me. Or is it a mini Z looking motor?

I need a motor guide. I need a motor size pecking order chart. Like is a FF-030 or FF-050 stronger than a 130 motor? Is a mini Z motor a 130 motor?
So many small motors out there it's confusing.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And from the pics, that motor you got looks like a normal FF-030 to me. Or is it a mini Z looking motor?

I need a motor guide. I need a motor size pecking order chart. Like is a FF-030 or FF-050 stronger than a 130 motor? Is a mini Z motor a 130 motor?
So many small motors out there it's confusing.
God, I wish I had a motor size chart. I tried looking, but wasn't too successful.

It's still in the package, but it looks smaller... I'll get a better comparison when I get it out of the bag for a closer look. In the store, it looked close enough for me to try, but there's no indication anywhere on the package, motor, losi manual or horizon website to say what size it is
Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
God, I wish I had a motor size chart. I tried looking, but wasn't too successful.

It's still in the package, but it looks smaller... I'll get a better comparison when I get it out of the bag for a closer look. In the store, it looked close enough for me to try, but there's no indication anywhere on the package, motor, losi manual or horizon website to say what size it is
I know right! I wish the micro scene would standardize on a motor you can get in high or low turn count as well as brushless for those who fancy that. This FF-030 mystery motor vs the FF-050 mystery motor vs mini Z motor, vs DDP motor, vs 130 motor is driving me nuts. Whos who! lol.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well, the spare cr24 motor I have is a direct fit... But the cable is slightly too short and the damn motor turns in reverse. The truck is running and I'm now seriously considering that cr24 performance upgrade kit for my scs24
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #40

Spoo supplied this to me in another thread. Only 3 motors, but it's a start. Maybe he'll be along and give more info.

New Axial scx 24 deadbolt

I too would love a breakdown of these motors, as the Coyote pup I have is severely lacking in the vroom-vrooom department.

Last edited by MrSquiggles; 06-11-2019 at 02:03 PM.
MrSquiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Son's SCX24 motor died [emoji30] - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Motor Pinion? BIGW0RM Micro Scale Rigs 24 10-01-2019 12:59 PM
Gmade gom build motor died bradendavis4 Newbie General 6 01-16-2018 12:34 AM
Summit Motor died googs Traxxas Crawlers 2 06-08-2016 10:30 AM
I think my BRXL or motor just died on me... Ernie W Electronics 10 09-16-2012 06:03 PM