Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Son's SCX24 motor died [emoji30]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Son's SCX24 motor died

So mh son and I were doing some casual crawling on an indoor course and after about 10 minutes his truck wouldn't move. I connected his motor to my ESC and nothing.

So it looks like I'll be calling Axial in the morning.

Kind of disappointing that it would die so quickly.

Is there anything else I can do to test this?
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Son's SCX24 motor died

I assume you pulled it loose to test?

If not maybe something else is locked up? I had the dogbone pin come loose on a front axle and it locked up.

Ive had some luck getting motors with sticking brushes going by just spinning the tires to essentially get the motor to a new spot to start up.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Maybe remove the motor from the transmission and see how it feels when you spin it. Then try it connected to your ESC again.
I called Horizon today about a Stripped servo saver on one, dead twitchy servo on another, and a micro USB port that has pulled out of the charger. They supposedly sent out replacement parts today because I called early.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Maybe remove the motor from the transmission and see how it feels when you spin it. Then try it connected to your ESC again.
I called Horizon today about a Stripped servo saver on one, dead twitchy servo on another, and a micro USB port that has pulled out of the charger. They supposedly sent out replacement parts today because I called early.
I'm going to have to tear it down and have a look. Been waiting to strip these trucks down anyway to see how they're built

Jesus, that's a lot of busted stuff you've got I hope you get your replacements soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If not maybe something else is locked up? I had the dogbone pin come loose on a front axle and it locked up.

Ive had some luck getting motors with sticking brushes going by just spinning the tires to essentially get the motor to a new spot to start up.
Manually spinning the wheels feels smooth and pretty effortless (no binding).

But I'll remove the motor and check in the tranny to see if anything else might be going on.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, this isn't looking good. It seems like the driveshaft rubs against this "wishbone" (or whatever it's called) and essentially locks in place. I believe axial tried to correct this by creating a small groove on this part (I don't believe it's worn into the part), but it's not enough.

Has anyone else hd this issue? Removing the driveshaft obviously makes the from wheels spin buttery smooth, but putting it back (even just the small piece that connects to the axle) causes this rub and locking to happen.

No wonder why the motor died
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's known to be close or rub in that spot, but it should rub enough to no longer make contact. Hasn't seemed to be the cause of any problems I've seen yet.

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:

My charger broke too.

Sent from your iPhone.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's known to be close or rub in that spot, but it should rub enough to no longer make contact. Hasn't seemed to be the cause of any problems I've seen yet.

I can see some rubbing on my truck, but it doesn't seem to lock up like his. I'm going to let axial know either way, just in case it's more of a problem then it seems.

My son will be super bummed out if a replacement motor is going to take a while to get here (in Canada, it can take two+ weeks to get stuff from the states).

Last edited by BashNSlash; 06-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

My Y link does look really close but I dont think its rubbing much if at all.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I haven't looked at mine yet but could you dremel out enough material to eliminate any contact while still preserving the strength/ integrity of the "Y"?
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I haven't looked at mine yet but could you dremel out enough material to eliminate any contact while still preserving the strength/ integrity of the "Y"?
Not sure I want to at this point. I'm just taking apart the front axle just to make sure nothing else is causing this lockup.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So.... There's a random, loose, black rubber washer just floating around in the axle housing

Looking at the exploded view, I don't see where this could have from.

Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

That sucks. That looks like the shock o rings i used on my ball ends. How strange.

That grease looks runny up top too. The bottom looks pretty fresh. Unless it’s just the picture.

I’d yank it out and gas on! The pic should be all they need. Ask for a front axle if you get a choice!

Sent from your iPhone.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 06-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

That shaft drive also looks like it has a black o-ring on it. Could the loose o-ring have come off the other side of the shaft drive gear?

Exploded view in the manual looks to have an o-ring on either side of the drive gear.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That shaft drive also looks like it has a black o-ring on it. Could the loose o-ring have come off the other side of the shaft drive gear?

Exploded view in the manual looks to have an o-ring on either side of the drive gear.

Is it a shim or two rubber gaskets? I see one on each side of the WORM in this diagram.

Did the bearing come out with the cover? Perhaps the gasket flung out at disassembly? It doesn’t look that chewed up.

But I’m guessing.

Page 16 shows two of something on that WORM.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/AXI90081-Manual-EN.pdf

Sent from your iPhone.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 06-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #16
RCC Addict

They look like o-rings to me. The one that's still on the shaft-drive gear looks like its stretched/ larger than the other one that's just floating around in there. They also look rounded rather than flat. OP did you pull the drive gear to see if it maybe came off the other side?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Oh good eye man! I didn’t even see it there until I super zoomed. Well in that case I wonder if it’s the other side or just an extra that fell it?

What a bummer to deal with so soon.

Sorry to Bash for his misfortune. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

Sent from your iPhone.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ok, see photos.

#1 o-rings are both still there and in good condition.
#2 is what I'm assuming came off and #3 is nowhere to be found.

Crazy thing is, this does not look like it would even fit where #2/3 are, like it would be too small.

But with everything taken apart, when I try to spin the wheels forward, the worm gear wants to come right out - with the diff cover on, this creates a lot of resistance (which I assumed was the driveshaft locking against that y joint). I wonder if this o-ring breaking up caused a chain reaction which led up to the motor burning out.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Oh wow... That thing really got got chewed up! I'm guessing that the resistance was a result of the o-ring getting caught up in the gears and/ or additional resistance generated by the gears or shaft making contact with the inside of the housing. I'm also wondering if this could've been a design flaw or a cost-cutting measure ( rubber o-rings vs metal shims or a better designed gear system)?

Interested to see what others think.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Sent the details to Horizon after speaking with them on the phone.

I think the o-ring didn't help the situation, but whatever is causing the worm gear to bind is likely what created the stress to burn the motor out.

I'm not optimistic that this will get fixed soon. I'm wondering if I should pick up a third rig just for the parts.

Son's SCX24 motor died [emoji30] - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Motor Pinion? BIGW0RM Micro Scale Rigs 24 10-01-2019 12:59 PM
Gmade gom build motor died bradendavis4 Newbie General 6 01-16-2018 12:34 AM
Summit Motor died googs Traxxas Crawlers 2 06-08-2016 10:30 AM
I think my BRXL or motor just died on me... Ernie W Electronics 10 09-16-2012 06:03 PM