Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX 4WS and Articulation Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Default SCX 4WS and Articulation Mod

Just received my SCX24 this week along with a spare front axle and servo. After installing these I was very pleased with the 4WS maneuverability but felt the articulation was severely lacking due to the body hing plate blocking the new rear steering servo. After removing this and playing with the shock mounting locations, I managed significantly more articulation with the stock axle width. I have already installed the excellent battery relocation 3D print by HumboldtEF and will be designing and offering up a rear body mount solution to maintain articulation with 4WS.

1/18 gelande in the background showing its articulation and the SCX24 with 46mm of articulation.

These are the mount points i used for the shock to achieve the increased range of motion.

nick_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX 4WS and Articulation Mod

With no 3D printer here how does one get the tray?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just tried this out. I have the battery tray mod and it seems to work out. I did have to drill into the ESC but not far and just barely through the case. This is NOT necessary if you didn't relocate your esc but because I did the battery tray mod I had already moved it. Still, esc works fine. Shocks seem to work fine also. I was getting about 1.75 inches of travel stock. Now more like 2.25 - 2.50 inches of travel. There might be a little binding but it's really hard to tell. The car basically sits all the way down now. Full droop style. Looks like a micro wraith! Haven't done any proper crawling with the shocks relocated yet. Will update soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcanbefun View Post
Just tried this out. I have the battery tray mod and it seems to work out. I did have to drill into the ESC but not far and just barely through the case. This is NOT necessary if you didn't relocate your esc but because I did the battery tray mod I had already moved it. Still, esc works fine. Shocks seem to work fine also. I was getting about 1.75 inches of travel stock. Now more like 2.25 - 2.50 inches of travel. There might be a little binding but it's really hard to tell. The car basically sits all the way down now. Full droop style. Looks like a micro wraith! Haven't done any proper crawling with the shocks relocated yet. Will update soon.

Photos:

Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #5

I probably should have mentioned the droop, however i really like the look and feel and it does seem to crawl a fair bit better as well as being a little less tip happy with the lower cg. I do have some spring spacers in queue once the test prints for the rear mount point finish. I am very curious how the wheel spacers work with this and just how you set up those tail lights Mathcanbefun

I get a little more articulation out of the front than the rear, and I am getting a little rubbing on the shocks with the rear wheel steering. So to better match the front I am currently awaiting a test print to relocate the rear shocks slightly inboard and a little lower. This of course will also allow the rear hing to clear the servo at full compression.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default SCX 4WS and Articulation Mod

Nice builds guys!!!

I got over 60mm of travel both front and back by simply using losi micro shocks in the rear relocated. Front is bone stock. And I still have suspension travel both front and rear and nothing hits anything. Well I had to remove the rear body mount hinge. But that's to be expected with 4WS.

Link to shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Losi-Micro-Ro...722/1103960310

Sent from your iPhone.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 06-17-2019 at 12:23 PM.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Nice builds guys!!!

I got over 60mm of travel both front and back by simply using losi micro shocks in the rear relocated. Front is bone stock. And I still have suspension travel both front and rear and nothing hits anything. Well I had to remove the rear body mount hinge. But that's to be expected with 4WS.

Link to shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Losi-Micro-Ro...722/1103960310

Sent from your iPhone.

Nice Porsche!
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChambers View Post

Nice Porsche!
Thank you. It's the reason I RC. I can't afford the price for mods on that sucker.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_a View Post
I probably should have mentioned the droop, however i really like the look and feel and it does seem to crawl a fair bit better as well as being a little less tip happy with the lower cg. I do have some spring spacers in queue once the test prints for the rear mount point finish. I am very curious how the wheel spacers work with this and just how you set up those tail lights Mathcanbefun

I get a little more articulation out of the front than the rear, and I am getting a little rubbing on the shocks with the rear wheel steering. So to better match the front I am currently awaiting a test print to relocate the rear shocks slightly inboard and a little lower. This of course will also allow the rear hing to clear the servo at full compression.

I'll post how I did the lights in my thread. Ill let you know when it's up.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Thank you. It's the reason I RC. I can't afford the price for mods on that sucker.
I get it. I'd probably have a Cayman if it weren't for that same reason. Instead I play with Miatas. They're cheap to mod. I've got a 99 with a Chevy Ecotec swap and a 2010 with a 2.5 Ford swap. For all the money I've spent on them I could have a nice Cayman but I would be afraid to beat on it and break it like I do the Miatas.
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am loving this little thing. Just moving the shocks makes a huge difference in articulation. I did preload the shocks that helps. I have not moved my battery yet. It seems like it is just a bit too light in the front end for traction on the steep stuff. Just the lightest pressure from my finger on the hood is enough for it to grip and go

First thing I will try is lead shot in the inner wheels and move the battery. If that’s not enough will and some sprung weight to the front
I guess I could just add some weight to the top of the servo too
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'll post how I did the lights in my thread. Ill let you know when it's up.

It's been a long thread but I think I went over how I did the lights if you are still interested.

Did the test print work out for relocating the shocks?

Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
It's been a long thread but I think I went over how I did the lights if you are still interested.

Did the test print work out for relocating the shocks?

I did check out the light mod, which was a great find. I have a few leds on order to string up my own light kit

The test print came out ok and was fully functional but I have significant rubbing with the articulation mod. Went through a few iterations and got frustrated enough to start designing a new frame all together, which lead me to a tube chassis inspired by mr. Lynx and his micro sumo scorpion chassis.

WIP

progress is slow but moving steadily
Old 07-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_a View Post
I did check out the light mod, which was a great find. I have a few leds on order to string up my own light kit

The test print came out ok and was fully functional but I have significant rubbing with the articulation mod. Went through a few iterations and got frustrated enough to start designing a new frame all together, which lead me to a tube chassis inspired by mr. Lynx and his micro sumo scorpion chassis.

WIP

progress is slow but moving steadily
Wow that looks great!
I have a printer let me know if you want me to test it out. Or if you need more info on lighting.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Wow that looks great!
I have a printer let me know if you want me to test it out. Or if you need more info on lighting.

The design basis was SLS PA-12, but I would be happy to provide the native cad files if you would like to modify them to be a little more FDM friendly. I work in Solid Edge but can export to a number of cross compatible formats.

Honestly though I really need to model the axles to finish the suspension design and pull the trans to verify motor clearance but I havent felt motivated to strip them off the vehicle to get all the dimensions.

SCX 4WS and Articulation Mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS with Servo Hold Mod on 3 CH TX's without mixing functions EQMOD Electronics 5 07-27-2011 09:11 AM
SCX-10 articulation question. calikingcrawler Axial SCX-10 12 08-15-2009 07:53 PM
tq-3 4ws mod what switch to use?? Mikekx65 Electronics 1 05-21-2007 05:08 PM
MY suspension articulation mod xtremecrawler504 General Crawlers 4 09-19-2005 11:12 AM
4WS transmitter mod (pics) 4x4x4fan Electronics 7 05-04-2005 12:21 AM