Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bigworm’s SCX24 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Bigworm’s SCX24 Build

Long overdue update.

I am finally switching things up on my SCX24. I am dooing what 2FMRC did to his. I bought the surpass 2204 1400kv revolver motor. The GamyRC motor mount. The HR 0.5 spur and a 0.5 3mm bore pinion for the surpass motor. ESC will switch over to a mamba micro X.

Motor:
https://www.amazon.com/Goolsky-Origi...70725129&psc=1

GamyRC surpass 2204 motor mount:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/F3...55714&li=shops

HR spur and pinion:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-rac...hoCXlAQAvD_BwE

11T 0.5 Mod with 3mm bore pinion (for surpass motor):
https://www.rcexpress.com/hot-racing...bore-csg11m05/

Im still waiting for the motor mount and will post pics once I get it up and running. Oh yea! I also got a 14T pinion just to try higher speed mud puddle runs.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

I have been really happy with that motor!
I do have both 11t and 12t pinions but so far have only run the 12t. It is plenty slow.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
I have been really happy with that motor!
I do have both 11t and 12t pinions but so far have only run the 12t. It is plenty slow.
Good to know the 11T and 12T are plenty slow! Thank you. Im curious to see what a 14T pinion does with it. Hopefully it fits.

Also tempted to buy another SCX24 now too. Tempted to get the C10
Old 03-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Good to know the 11T and 12T are plenty slow!

Also tempted to buy another SCX24 now too. Tempted to get the C10

2 more this weekend. :-D

My LHS has a stack of Jeeps in stock. He is still waiting on the deadbolts and C10's.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

Well, I gave in and ordered a green C10 from HH!

I also ordered some deep dish wheels

And I now I will keep my Deadbolt the way it is and just mod the C10 with the surpass motor, mamba micro X and new deep dish wheels. This one will be brushless and the deadbolt will stay long can brushed but with 4WS.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Mmmmm....deep dish....delicious
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #107

Made an account just to post. That wheel/tire/foam setup looks amazing! I have a C10 and was hoping the wheel offset would push it out far enough to not interfere with the body but I have my doubts. Do you think that setup will work with the C10 body? Thanks!

Brand new to all this, got my scx24 about a month ago and already have mods on the way.

EDIT: I am referring to the setup in the OG post.

Hbx devastator wheels
RC4WD 61mm tall scramblers
Crawler Innovations Soft micro foams
damstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Really informative thread, great read.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by damstr View Post
Made an account just to post. That wheel/tire/foam setup looks amazing! I have a C10 and was hoping the wheel offset would push it out far enough to not interfere with the body but I have my doubts. Do you think that setup will work with the C10 body? Thanks!

Brand new to all this, got my scx24 about a month ago and already have mods on the way.

Hbx devastator wheels
Thank you.

I dont have my C10 yet or I would try them and let you know. I think the HBX wheel with the crappy but very cool looking monster tire they come with would have a better chance than the scramblers if I had to guess. They are pretty tall and they might hit the fenders when you turn. But I will try it and let you know once I get my C10 in a couple days.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
Mmmmm....deep dish....delicious
I cant wait to get them and try my small collection of micro tires to see how they look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBurly View Post
Really informative thread, great read.
Thank you. Its a little dated now, but I'm glad you liked it.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Default Bigworm’s SCX24 Build

Quote:

Hbx devastator wheels

Hey, I got my C10 and I added the HBX wheels with the monster tires that come on those wheels. With stock suspension height, they rub. With it rasied up a bit, they dont rub much at all.

There is no way you will get those rims with scramblers to fit. Deadbolt, sure. But the C10, no way. At least not without cutting the body to much.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Couple things to know...

The surpass motor and the gamy RC mount shift a lot of weight to the driver side. My coil over shocks have too be adjusted a lot on one side to compensate. Or else your body is super tilted. That kind of bugs me. The suprass motor with the HR spur and an 11T pinion is super slow. Its also someway loud. My deadbolt with a 050 motor runs circles around this thing. That said, I have much much better low speed control with the C10. But I think that has more to do with the mamba ESC. I suspect the mamba with a 050 long can motor would be just as smooth.

All in all, I would not doo this again. I think the 050 motor is better bang for the buck. It doesn't massively throw off the weight balance like the surpass motor does either. Plus you dont have to cut anything up too make it work.

So that's my opinion of the surpass motor. It was fun to build. It sounds cool. It climbs slow with a mamba micro X. But I wont do that again.

Well see if my opinion changes once I slap a much bigger pinion in it and try it in fast mode mud flinger...
Old 03-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #113

Thanks for the heads up on that wheel/tire setup for the C10. Saved me some money. Shame the surpass motor throws off the balance. Do ESC's really make a difference when it comes to reducing sound?
damstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that wheel/tire setup for the C10. Saved me some money. Shame the surpass motor throws off the balance. Do ESC's really make a difference when it comes to reducing sound?
Some ESC make more sound than others. It just depends. In my truck, the HR 0.5 mod spur and pinion make a lot of noise over the stock spur and pinion.

And then I also have brushless out runner whine from the motor. My ESC seems quiet as can be. I dont hear tone coming from it.

So mine is loud because of the 0.5 mod spur and pinion and because of the surpass motor.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #115
Rock Stacker

The low center of gravity plate tilts the motor towards driver side in order to achieve lowest possible mounting spot. When using this plate weight does get shifted to that side but can be resolved by placing battery towards passenger side. Although some bigger batteries may not allow for that to be done. In these cases the 380 brushless mount used for Revolver works as well and in that case motor is centered on frame for better balance at the cost of slightly higher center of gravity. Its a balancing act when trying to give up one thing to achieve another.
Gamyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamyrc View Post
The low center of gravity plate tilts the motor towards driver side in order to achieve lowest possible mounting spot. When using this plate weight does get shifted to that side but can be resolved by placing battery towards passenger side. Although some bigger batteries may not allow for that to be done. In these cases the 380 brushless mount used for Revolver works as well and in that case motor is centered on frame for better balance at the cost of slightly higher center of gravity. Its a balancing act when trying to give up one thing to achieve another.
That all makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I fixed my issue with one of these on the other side of the lower frame.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

I am interested to try your 130 motor plate next though! Does the 130 motor plate allow you to keep the battery tray (assuming you cut one leg off)?

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-11-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Default Bigworm’s SCX24 Build

#2 SCX24 C10 Build Update:

I got the DIRTYCUSTOMS reverse surpass motor mount off eBay which mounts the motor towards the battery. For the SCX24, I feel this is the way to go.

1.) You dont have to cut your receiver tray off.
2.) The motor is much more centered.
3.) You can flip the battery tray the other way and can keep the battery where it is stock, just scooted back some.

I highly suggest you get the REAR FACING version. As I mentioned, you only have to flip the battery tray. I cut off the long legs of my tray. But you can keep them on and just have them hang below the frame. They dont touch anything.

Also, I have my 1400kv surpass motor with a 14T pinion and HR 0.5 spur and its still slower than stock at top speed. Slow speed control is much better than stock.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-14-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXK2t50S-8

Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:22 AM   #119
Rock Stacker

If you guys want more speed out of the surpass motor , i would siggest going 3S and going up either 16T or 17T pinion. I run my belly dragger scx24 that weights over 500 grams and she moves. 14t and 3S is no slouch. Nice build BIGWORM!
Rcing4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post

Bigworm’s SCX24 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 truggy build... lilws6 Micro Scale Rigs 21 08-13-2019 12:28 PM