Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Default Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock?

So, completely new to crawling. It seems like on steep incline/decline..it's always the shifting of the body that causes it to tumble. Going up hill, as it gets more vertical, the weight shifts due to gravity, which unloads the shocks, which push the body backward (or forward, on decline), and that movement sets it in motion to flip.

I thought strapping 31g to the front axle would help keep it planted, and I'm sure it helped, but as soon as it went vertical, the body sprung, and sent her tumbling. So now I see why ppl removed the springs.

So I removed the springs..much better climb, because the body didn't shoot back. Note: I haven't yet done the battery / esc move. But..I also discovered that the truck was able to climb the hill with no added weight, as long as I pushed it up at just the right speed, so the shocks again, didn't extend backwards, causing it to flip.

This is probably all common knowledge..but has anyone ever created a reverse shock? A regular shock body, but with an extension spring (think slinky, only with resistance..starts compressed, takes force to extend). I don't think it would take much resistance to keep a body retained while going vertical, and with that little resistance, and a weighted wheel, it shouldn't have a problem extending for let vertical performance.
Thoughts?

Here's a video fail
https://youtu.be/XkMYp1_3wLY

Video succeeding, strictly because the shocks didn't extend
https://youtu.be/4DkMg9ndmvI
Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock?

I run a droop setup on my scx24 with sumo shocks. Basically the shock is compressed & the coils are wrapped top & bottom so tension is only applied when trying to unload makes for a nice stable rig. I have also done a few with internal springs.

Put the spring inside the shock body then slide the piston into the shock body. This will keep it compressed but you loose some down travel from the compressed spring.

Unloading

Last edited by chevy55; 07-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Default Re: Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock?

Are those Redcat spring,they would have to be super soft to let the shock extend downward, if they are that soft they might be what I’m looking for. (Conventional shock) Can you give me dimensions length and diameter. Thanks
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Are those Redcat spring,they would have to be super soft to let the shock extend downward, if they are that soft they might be what I’m looking for. (Conventional shock) Can you give me dimensions length and diameter. Thanks
Yes stock redcat springs they make a softer version as well. ID is 6.5mm with a 31mm length.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well you have found one of the joys of crawling. Trying different combinations to get these things to crawl better. I think I spend more time tweaking on my crawlers than I do crawling.
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
I run a droop setup on my scx24 with sumo shocks. Basically the shock is compressed & the coils are wrapped top & bottom so tension is only applied when trying to unload makes for a nice stable rig. I have also done a few with internal springs.

Put the spring inside the shock body then slide the piston into the shock body. This will keep it compressed but you loose some down travel from the compressed spring.

Unloading

I also run droop and swear by it. With this little rig though, I run no internal springs (I don’t feel it needs it) with old man emu scale shocks. I’m thinking about trying putting springs in it though and just cutting down the stock springs that came with them… I don’t know? I kinda like it without.

And please send me your complete instructions on how to three link with chassis mount of the servo to this baby! Or just all the parts if you have them lying around… I think that’s the best mod I’ve seen so far!!

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 09-19-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Got caught up by the repeater… That’ll happen. That’ll happen.
CaliCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Shock upgrade ??? JLOC Micro Scale Rigs 42 05-06-2020 12:38 PM
Vertical front shock angle photon_trap Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 06-05-2013 09:08 PM
novak eiger pro green led flashing in reverse No Reverse sometimes burmis Electronics 2 05-22-2013 09:04 PM
Creeper climbing at big rock vertical and sidehill action legion1capone Videos! 9 10-29-2009 07:24 PM
Climbing the big vertical. JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 01-30-2006 03:38 PM