Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Scx24 gearing

Hello,
I am new to the forum but have been creeping around on it for quite awhile. I have been looking slower gearing for the scx24 and can’t seem to find anything. Bacially my end goal is to be able to really crawl over bigger obstacles instead of having to floor it and fly over things. Ideally full throttle will be nice and slow and have plenty of torque to crawl over things nice and easy. I want it to be smooth crawling instead of having to go so fast to make it over obstacles. Any help would be appreciated
Cbake417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx24 gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbake417 View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum but have been creeping around on it for quite awhile. I have been looking slower gearing for the scx24 and can’t seem to find anything. Bacially my end goal is to be able to really crawl over bigger obstacles instead of having to floor it and fly over things. Ideally full throttle will be nice and slow and have plenty of torque to crawl over things nice and easy. I want it to be smooth crawling instead of having to go so fast to make it over obstacles. Any help would be appreciated
Bolt in options are limited, to start to with an 8T or 9T brass pinion 0.3 mod with a 1.5mm bore for the motor shaft. That's the same used on all Losi Micros, Proline Ambush,ECX, Temper, RC4WD Mini Gelande,ECX Barrage/RGT Adventurer/FTX Outback, HobbyPlus CR-24/CR/18, even some old heli RCs

You can technically fit a larger Spur gear from a Losi micro Rally/SCT, but you'd need to come up with something better than the available options for a slipper. My Losi slippers don't seem to hold the gear in its center. The biggest i could fit was 57t, 59t wouldn't fit even with a fair amount of grinding on the output shaft. I ended up going back to a stock spur gear

you'll also need a motor with higher turns (more wire wound on the armature)
Stock is 88t, RC4WD is supposedly 90 or more. A longer motor from a barrage/RGT/ftx may also work, as well as mounting a 90t 130 "big block" motor. You can buy or make a motor mount for those.

If you have an old Losi motor laying around you could also have it rewound by Dan. I have a 110t motor with 9t pinion and love it.

Above all that the stock setup is much better than cheaper RCs like the Barrage, but a good programmable ESC will give you much better throttle control.
Something like the Tekin B1R, or the Castle creations Micro Sidewinder, or micro Sidewinder V2, a Holmes mini would also work well

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The easiest way to accomplish this is to buy an RC4WD micro motor and slap it in there. It has a smaller pinion and offers a lot more torque. It wont stall with this motor. ANd its night and day. It plugs right in. You might have to switch the motor leads. But overall its cheap and highly effective without having to buy a lot of parts.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sumo or hbx trans swap is what your looking for.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
The easiest way to accomplish this is to buy an RC4WD micro motor and slap it in there. It has a smaller pinion and offers a lot more torque. It wont stall with this motor. ANd its night and day. It plugs right in. You might have to switch the motor leads. But overall its cheap and highly effective without having to buy a lot of parts.
Sold. Just ordered one. Thanks.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Bolt in options are limited, to start to with an 8T or 9T brass pinion 0.3 mod with a 1.5mm bore for the motor shaft. That's the same used on all Losi Micros, Proline Ambush,ECX, Temper, RC4WD Mini Gelande,ECX Barrage/RGT Adventurer/FTX Outback, HobbyPlus CR-24/CR/18, even some old heli RCs

You can technically fit a larger Spur gear from a Losi micro Rally/SCT, but you'd need to come up with something better than the available options for a slipper. My Losi slippers don't seem to hold the gear in its center. The biggest i could fit was 57t, 59t wouldn't fit even with a fair amount of grinding on the output shaft. I ended up going back to a stock spur gear

you'll also need a motor with higher turns (more wire wound on the armature)
Stock is 88t, RC4WD is supposedly 90 or more. A longer motor from a barrage/RGT/ftx may also work, as well as mounting a 90t 130 "big block" motor. You can buy or make a motor mount for those.

If you have an old Losi motor laying around you could also have it rewound by Dan. I have a 110t motor with 9t pinion and love it.

Above all that the stock setup is much better than cheaper RCs like the Barrage, but a good programmable ESC will give you much better throttle control.
Something like the Tekin B1R, or the Castle creations Micro Sidewinder, or micro Sidewinder V2, a Holmes mini would also work well

Is Dan still rebuilding these motors? I have one of his 110Ts in my Trekker from years ago but I don't really wanna rob it for my SCX. At least not yet anyway.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Is Dan still rebuilding these motors? I have one of his 110Ts in my Trekker from years ago but I don't really wanna rob it for my SCX. At least not yet anyway.
He doesn't provide motors, but will still wind Losi motors if you have any. I believe he was the one that determined the RC4WD motors were well over 90t. For the price I wouldn't hesitate to get one and slap an 8t or 9t pinion on it.

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What I'd like to know is where to get the planetary gearbox on the Rascal or one similar https://store.rc4wd.com/124-Rascal-A...et_p_7486.html

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything besides larger gearbox's or smaller ones that come with motors spec'd at 3v. I dont know if the gearbox will only handle a 3v load or if its the motor they supply thats limited (I'm guessing its the motor). https://www.ebay.com/i/192342952964?...iABEgKagPD_BwE

EDIT: digging a bit more and found this site with micro planetary gearbox's and a section for RC even! theres just a minimum order of 500... shoot http://www.microplanetarygearbox.com...rc-car-gearbox

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/330166...bilesitedetail

$7

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx24 gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whittling on a SCX24 HumboldtEF Micro Scale Rigs 94 08-09-2021 07:42 PM
Jeepin's SCX24 JeepinOR Micro Scale Rigs 12 05-09-2020 08:30 PM