Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SCX24 Trouble

So after letting my son's friend run my micro and completely draining the stock battery, I ordered a new Gens Ace 800 mAh that works great! At least in my son's SCX24. Made my leads to connect the JST battery connector to the craptastic micro molex on the ESC and thought I was ready to go. Connected the battery, powered it all up, set it down and squeezed the trigger. Very slow movement, almost as if the battery is dead. First and most important question....was the battery charged? Yes....I had just pulled it off the charger. Next question...could it be a bad battery? Nope...connected it up to my son's truck and it ran like a spotted ape. Third question...could there be an issue with the newly fabbed lead from battery to ESC...Nope. I tried it with both batteries on my son's truck and it worked just fine. So now I'm stumped and can only be left to figure maybe my motor is shot.

Any ideas? Thoughts? If that's really the case, I don't know that I want to replace it with a stock motor, although with it being less than a month old I probably should just have Horizon warranty it for now. Are there any aftermarket motors that fit directly? Or maybe even with just a little modification? I could probably go with a bigger can but then that means a new mount, etc. So I'm open to suggestions here guys.

What do I do from here?????
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX24 Trouble

I have two of these trucks. One of them had the motor just quit. Wouldn't turn at all but I had full steering and the lights worked fine. I plugged my motor into my other cars esc and it also didn't work. I ended up ordering the micro crawler motor from rc4wd. It's slower but a little easier on throttle control. Im using the pinion that rc4wd provides so I could get more speed too. It's a direct fit and only like 5 bucks. You could probably find an unbranded one for even cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mathcanbefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Same. I had one slow down on me and it wasnt the battery or the ESC. It was the stock motor. They suck. RC4WD motor with its smaller pinion is much more robust.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah I ended up calling Horizon yesterday and the tech figured it was the ESC. But I tested by connecting the motor to the known working ESC and same results. So I plugged the "good" motor into the "bad" ESC and it worked just fine. So yep....bad motor. I'll call them back and have them send a replacement, although they're on back order for about a month. But I'm in no hurry. I can run my built 110T Trekker in the mean time. Properly weighted, beadlocks....still runs like a mountain goat.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Yeah I ended up calling Horizon yesterday and the tech figured it was the ESC. But I tested by connecting the motor to the known working ESC and same results. So I plugged the "good" motor into the "bad" ESC and it worked just fine. So yep....bad motor. I'll call them back and have them send a replacement, although they're on back order for about a month. But I'm in no hurry. I can run my built 110T Trekker in the mean time. Properly weighted, beadlocks....still runs like a mountain goat.

You might as well get the RC4WD motor then. Its only 5 bucks. And it honestly makes a huge difference in torque IMO.

https://store.rc4wd.com/FF-030-Micro...or_p_4957.html
Old 08-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Do I use the included pinion w/ the stock spur?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Do I use the included pinion w/ the stock spur?
Yes. Use the RC4WD one. You Will need to make the motor mount hole a SMIDGE bigger so the motor can mesh to the spur gear better. But I used my reemer to widen my hole like 1mm if that. You could probably use an exact knife to widen it. Its nothing major.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #8

where are you guys finding that motor? I can't seem to find it anywhere.. just a newbie that's interested.
axben is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 Trouble - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeepin's SCX24 JeepinOR Micro Scale Rigs 12 05-09-2020 08:30 PM
Scx24 gearing Cbake417 Micro Scale Rigs 8 10-06-2019 11:01 PM
SCX24 wb question halfcab Micro Scale Rigs 0 06-29-2019 10:01 PM