Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Basher Rocksta mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #1

Default Basher Rocksta mods?

Hi

I'm new to the whole crawler thing.
So I purchased myself a basher rocksta to get through the winter.
I've already seen some possibilities to make it better.
I've ordered a second batterytray to try the screw mod instead of the clips.

And I ordered some new rims to fit new tires on it, so I don't have to take the stock ones of the stock rims.

Does anyone know which kind of tires fit on the original rims?
And does anyone have an idea to make it a bit quieter?

It's kinda loud for indoors.

Also, who knows how to fix the rubbing of the tires on the linkages?

I set my endpoints to not rub, but now it hardly steers anymore.
Bennie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 AM   #2

Default Re: Basher Rocksta mods?

I was also thinking of changing the electronics to be able to use my own remote instead of the one that comes in the rtr version.

Has anyone done this? As far as I know the rtr comes with a combines esc/receiver. What is possible to get as a replacement?
Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For tires the RC4WD scramblers are big and soft, and will work on stock wheels or standard 1.0" wheels.
You can find custom chassis on shapeways in GamyRC's store that may improve geometry.
To keep from rubbing the links, you can try thicker wheel hexes from an RGT Adventurer or ECX Barrage to give you more offset.
As far as the noise, it's an electric RC with dual transmissions, so it's expected. You could try adding a tiny dab of grease to the gears.
If you want to change to a transmitter you already own you'd have to replace all the electronics so you'd need a receiver and a small micro ESC, but that can be difficult to package sometimes.
Otherwise If you have a hacked GT3B or GT3C transmitter, either of those 2 will bind to the factory electronics and when hacked will allow you to control the different modes of 4 wheel steer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

Thumbs up Re: Basher Rocksta mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
For tires the RC4WD scramblers are big and soft, and will work on stock wheels or standard 1.0" wheels.
I'll check those out, I already read about them but I was wondering if there would be more that fit.

Quote:
You can find custom chassis on shapeways in GamyRC's store that may improve geometry.
I think it's weird to change a chassis, then I could've just bought that and started putting together my own rig. But thanks for the tip though!

Quote:
To keep from rubbing the links, you can try thicker wheel hexes from an RGT Adventurer or ECX Barrage to give you more offset.
Good tip! I will check those out, both of them. I'm guessing they won't cost that much.

Quote:
As far as the noise, it's an electric RC with dual transmissions, so it's expected. You could try adding a tiny dab of grease to the gears.
I'll do that.

Quote:
If you want to change to a transmitter you already own you'd have to replace all the electronics so you'd need a receiver and a small micro ESC, but that can be difficult to package sometimes.
Otherwise If you have a hacked GT3B or GT3C transmitter, either of those 2 will bind to the factory electronics and when hacked will allow you to control the different modes of 4 wheel steer.

I've got a Graupner so that would mean I'd have to replace everything. Maybe later as a project.

Thanks for the tips and tricks, I appreciate it!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie98 View Post
I'll check those out, I already read about them but I was wondering if there would be more that fit.

I think it's weird to change a chassis, then I could've just bought that and started putting together my own rig. But thanks for the tip though!
All the 1.0" tires from RC4WD will fit, but those are soft and the tallest available from RC4WD for a 1.0" wheel. There's 2 other tires that are slightly taller, but I don't think they are as soft and they use a larger wheel.

As far as the chassis, it's no different than any other modification, and I don't even think enough parts exist to build your own from a custom chassis. In this case with the motors being on the axle the chassis isn't one of the most significant parts to the truck, but a custom chassis and links can give better performance with better balance and ground clearance.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

I checked the hexes on the rocksta and those are 7mm. I see the hexes on the barrage are 12mm or am I getting my info wrong?
Are there 7mm offset hexes available? Or are those only from 12mm and up?

https://www.mcmracing.com/nl/home/10...e-605482176030
Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The 12mm is the larger Barrage. You'd want hexes from the 1/24 Barrage/ RGT Adventurer/FTX Outback, or HobbyPlus CR-24. All have the same style and size hex. AsiaTees is the cheapest if you don't mind waiting a week or two

Old 10-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I put the HBX 1/24 crawler wheels on with the RC4WD Scramblers. Made a world of difference over the stock wheels/tires. Next I'm thinking of grabbing one of the gamyrc chassis.

Last edited by punkindrublik; 10-08-2019 at 04:51 PM.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #9

I bought some wheels and tires and those hexes on asiatees. That way I can see what I can fit on it.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
The 12mm is the larger Barrage. You'd want hexes from the 1/24 Barrage/ RGT Adventurer/FTX Outback, or HobbyPlus CR-24. All have the same style and size hex. AsiaTees is the cheapest if you don't mind waiting a week or two

I bought some wheels, tires and hexes from asiatees.
It was RGT 1/24 ADVENTURER Wheel Hex With Pin for ECX Barrage/ FTX Outback/ RGT Adventurer RGT/13627.
But it seems they are a mm or maybe two narrower than the stock rocksta hexes. Too bad. But luckily they were super cheap. The tires are nice though. They don't fit the original rims so good thing that I bought the correct wheels with them as well. They sort out the rubbing problem because they are smaller and more narrow than the stock wheels/tires. I'm going to order the rc4wd tires as well, thode should fit the original wheels and should be bigger as well.
I also bought the battery case to try that mod with the screws. We'll see how that goes.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie98 View Post
I bought some wheels, tires and hexes from asiatees.
It was RGT 1/24 ADVENTURER Wheel Hex With Pin for ECX Barrage/ FTX Outback/ RGT Adventurer RGT/13627.
But it seems they are a mm or maybe two narrower than the stock rocksta hexes. Too bad. But luckily they were super cheap. The tires are nice though. They don't fit the original rims so good thing that I bought the correct wheels with them as well. They sort out the rubbing problem because they are smaller and more narrow than the stock wheels/tires. I'm going to order the rc4wd tires as well, thode should fit the original wheels and should be bigger as well.
I also bought the battery case to try that mod with the screws. We'll see how that goes.
What battery case was that? I hate the clips...
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
What battery case was that? I hate the clips...
It's just the same battery case. But there is a mod where you cut of the posts and drill into them. Then take the lid and make the holes bigger with a larger drillbit to be able to have the screws flush to the tray. I think I saw it somewhere on youtube or maybe here on the forum. But I ordered a separate case to try it out. That way I don't break my original one. I'm still not sure about the screws though. Very little space to screw them in. So it should be very small and narrow screws. And I'm not sure if a screwdriver would be more convenient than the clips.

Basher Rocksta mods? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/24 Basher Rocksta upgrades RHEEMO Micro Scale Rigs 25 03-01-2019 03:44 AM
Basher Rocksta still available? MrSquiggles Micro Scale Rigs 8 03-01-2019 03:42 AM
my basher rocksta crawlers_crawlers Micro Scale Rigs 3 09-05-2017 02:57 PM
Upgrading Basher Rocksta 1/24 Gompapa Micro Scale Rigs 17 06-16-2017 01:50 PM
My Basher Rocksta Mods/Review professorcake Micro Scale Rigs 5 11-01-2016 06:46 PM