Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My little GMC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My little GMC

I’ve been bitten by the micro bug. I’ve got a total of 4 scx24’s now. One for myself and one for each kid. We’re loving them especially now that winter weather is here. The deadbolt body didn’t do much for me and I have literally hundreds of static model kits at home, I knew I needed to make something work. I know this truck is really like 1:20 scale but I just don’t have anything in that scale that makes me happy.

Started out with a 1:25 scale 82 gmc pickup kit. Generic “fall guy” kit.

Dang, very small. I know I’m not going to get a totally realistic scale look but this is no good.

Then I went to a 1:24 scale ‘78 gmc kit I had.

This is doable . Now I just have to figure out wheelbase, body mounting logistics, wheels and tires etc. more to come soon.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My little GMC

Looks like a great start.
BTW the truck isn't 1/20 scale, people seem to often get confused. The body determines the scale, and the body is 1/24. It just happens to be that wheelbase is more suitable for compact trucks in 1/20, however full-sized trucks in 1/24 can work as you already know

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks! I still think it’s a bit big for 1:24 even width and wheel size but it’s doable with full-size truck for sure.

I was looking around for steering upgrades since stock is barely adequate with the stock lexan body. I found mod19’s shapeways page and he has many nice parts for the scx24. I got the steering linkage to get rid of slop, the servo mount to mount the bigger servo, got the smaller battery mount and esc mount to lower cog as much as I can and hopefully make room for interior and body as much as I can. Here’s the chassis set up...

I also used the shorter links in the rear to shorten up the wheelbase to fit the truck. It’s still about 3-4mm’s “too long” but was able to set it up where the front axle is just ahead of centerline and rear axle is just behind centerline so I’m happy with that. I had to cut the bed floor out quite a bit to clear shock towers and battery. I’m still thinking of what to use to hide the battery and shock towers a bit but not sure just yet.

Here it is mocked up. Went with Rc4wd wagon wheels and rock stomper tires to fit the truck a bit better than the stock wheels and tires.

Wish the tires would tuck a bit better but it is what it is.

Here’s the whole fleet...

Old 12-08-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks great with the body nice and low

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That Ram body in the background looks interesting .What is it?!
bolo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post

Thank you. I try to get all my bodies as low as possible. Even on my 1:10 stuff. I don’t like the monster truck look at all.

The raminator body is off a super cheap toy rc that my son had. The chassis broke, I had it on my bench while tinkering with my first scx24 and it was like a lightbulb went on when I looked at it. The body fits the stock deadbolt chassis PERFECTLY. Like literally I just took off the lexan body, and bolted this one on. That simple. It’s my sons truck now.

Ben
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post

The raminator body is off a super cheap toy rc that my son had. The chassis broke, I had it on my bench while tinkering with my first scx24 and it was like a lightbulb went on when I looked at it. The body fits the stock deadbolt chassis PERFECTLY. Like literally I just took off the lexan body, and bolted this one on. That simple. It’s my sons truck now.

Ben
Yeah looks perfect fit!Is definitely bigger than 1/24 not quite 1/20 but in the middle.I like it.Btw i useed plow GMC for my first build!!!is great body.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

After much trimming, cramming and moving things around, i got the body fitting nice and tight. Now it’s time for paint. I wanted to try my hand at some weathering. So with nothing more than some scotchbrite pads, some spray paint and then some thinned our black paint and a brush, we have my weathered tired old gmc

I’m happy to say that I tested it against my bone stock deadbolt and it out climbs, out side hills and all around out performed that truck even being a hard body so I’m happy with that. These tires have way more grip than the stickers do for sure. I still have a few details to add but I think this is about it for this truck. Time to get more scratches from the rocks now.

Ben

Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Hey Ben, love it looks great! Maybe this thread should be titled "My really little GMC".
IMO the low body, shorter tires and steel beadlocks really enhance the looks and performance!

Here's a little bigger scale kit might tuck tires better, Revell 78 GMC Big Game Country Pickup, Grey

Nevermind 1/24, sorry.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks Nate. I saw that kit at the hobby store today. Same kit except it’s a stepside. I’m happy with the looks really. It’s such a small truck that there’s only so much that can be done and have it still functional. And it seems very functional so I’m happy. Can’t wait to take it to some of my favorite crawl spots and see how it does in the 1/10 world lol.

Ben
Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, the paint came out great too
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Awesome looking rig!Definitely that paint job is superb!

Last edited by bolo79; 12-10-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Let me 3D Print that...

Nice job on this one! Great look overall. It's cool to see the low CG parts used to accomodate a scale build like this.
RexRacer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, paint and weathering looks great too! Saw the stepside version too, I like both and yes only so much can be done especially on such a small scale. Looking forward to more updates and pictures of it in the wild of your 1/10 scale areas.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #15

Awesome!!!

I am looking at doing a truggy with the same body!!! going to find a brake line or aluminum tube that looks good to bend a exo cage.
bdt00buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I was looking around for steering upgrades since stock is barely adequate with the stock lexan body. I found mod19’s shapeways page and he has many nice parts for the scx24. I got the steering linkage to get rid of slop, the servo mount to mount the bigger servo, got the smaller battery mount and esc mount to lower cog as much as I can and hopefully make room for interior and body as much as I can.

I also used the shorter links in the rear to shorten up the wheelbase to fit the truck. It’s still about 3-4mm’s “too long” but was able to set it up where the front axle is just ahead of centerline and rear axle is just behind centerline so I’m happy with that. I had to cut the bed floor out quite a bit to clear shock towers and battery. I’m still thinking of what to use to hide the battery and shock towers a bit but not sure just yet.

Here’s the whole fleet...

Black plastic tonneau cover for the bed? Where's your fleet now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post

My little GMC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
72 GMC truck Silverado1 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 03-30-2015 05:56 PM
Any GMC fans??? Grimreeper 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 12-30-2012 05:24 PM
GMC bus skl1cent Non Crawler RC's 16 04-12-2011 02:10 AM
gmc syclone mudplower Chit Chat 73 07-24-2006 07:42 PM