Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Working on a Orlandoo based rock crawler, first test...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Working on a Orlandoo based rock crawler, first test...

Hello and best wishes for 2020.

I finally got to start "concept testing" my Orlandoo based rock crawler project (compared to my stock Orlandoo def 110):

I still have plenty to do but I think it should work out pretty well.

I quit RC in 1992 (I was into 1/4 th scale at the time) and only got back into it 2 months ago so I guess I'm a beginner.

What I plan to do: move the steering servo back for a better attack angle, build shocks with longer travel if I can find suitable material in all my junk boxes (I haven't been RCing in the last 27 years but kept building things so I have plenty of boxes of aluminum, brass, steel, titanium, plastic...). I will then have to build a body and roll cage and start working on weight distribution, shock adjustment...
I'm also planning on shortening and soldering the wires to remove some of those bulky connectors, building a proper battery tray...

Any ideas, similar projects, comments (...) from you more experienced hobbyist would be appreciated.

Last edited by Isna; 01-03-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Isna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Working on a Orlandoo based rock crawler, first test...

I think that someone has developed a 3D printed tube buggy style chassis for the Orlandoo drivetrain. May be some pictures and videos online.

Love to see others with the patience to deal with this smaller RCs. I just don’t have it anymore.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

I saw two 3d printed crawler bodies on the web. One of them, the Baby fat girl is quite nice. My brother has a 3D printer but i'm more old school. My 3d printer is my drill, mini gas torch, files, saw, hobby knife, forge...
Since I don't like to crawl without the scale look, I quickly modified an Orlandoo Defender body to have something to put on this chassis. I also shortened and soldered the wires and made a velcro strap to hold the battery. It now looks much neater. I will try to make a short video in nature this WE. This thing crawls soooo much better than the original Orlandoo. I love it!

Last edited by Isna; 01-03-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #4

First outdoor test of my custom Orlandoo rock crawler. Two hours of fun. I was alone but I managed to make 2 short videos putting my camera on a stone:

Works great but I need more suspension travel. I haven't yet found how to make my own. Any suggestion of 1/24 shocks I could adapt?
Old 01-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Working on a Orlandoo based rock crawler, first test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isna View Post
First outdoor test of my custom Orlandoo rock crawler. Two hours of fun. I was alone but I managed to make 2 short videos putting my camera on a stone:

Works great but I need more suspension travel. I haven't yet found how to make my own. Any suggestion of 1/24 shocks I could adapt?

You would need shock towers like the 1/10 crawlers have to go any longer. Something like this with some adjustability until it’s dialed in.

Any of the available 1/24 you can find on eBay would likely be an improvement. I believe the Carisma 1/24 are oil filled. But the Orlandoo probably doesn’t weigh enough to warrant that.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

I would have no problem machining appropriate shock towers but, to get more travel, you made a really good point about the weight. I seek more "negative travel" and therefor need really soft shocks. I thought maybe some 1/24 shocks would work but the springs would probably be too hard. The easiest solution I found to add shock travel with the original shocks was to set them at a 45 degree angle (for the rear axle) but that is not enough. I might have to take out my magnifier glass and try to make the shocks myself. I am thinking of using tubes from a telescopic antenna and servo screws but haven't found the right combination yet. I also would need to find the right springs.
Still open to any ideas...

Last edited by Isna; 01-04-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ewww. To small for me. Losi made various rate springs for the 1/24 and 1/36 cars years ago. Maybe some of them.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Ewww. To small for me. Losi made various rate springs for the 1/24 and 1/36 cars years ago. Maybe some of them.
If I had the skill, I would try a 1/87 scale crawler! 1/32 is still ok, not worse than repairing a laptop or cell phone or rebuilding a pruning chainsaw carburetor. It still is possible to find some parts for Losi micro crawlers. I will look into that. finding 1/24th scale shocks and soft springs could be the solution.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Maybe could run the Carisma oil shocks with diff fluid and no springs. Static it would sit all the way down but dynamically crawling would function. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Maybe could run the Carisma oil shocks with diff fluid and no springs. Static it would sit all the way down but dynamically crawling would function. Just a thought.
Interesting idea. So far, I haven't found length and travel data for the Carisma shocks. I spotted neat but expensive aluminum aftermarket shocks for the Losi with a overall length of 48.7mm for 9.5mm of travel. I still believe I can find better or cheaper options.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, if you wanted some larger tires mini z awd wheels bolt right on to the orlandoo axles and allow you to use 1/24 scale tires. Like the BFG krawlers on this site.

Fireball Modelworks
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
Looks good, if you wanted some larger tires mini z awd wheels bolt right on to the orlandoo axles and allow you to use 1/24 scale tires. Like the BFG krawlers on this site.

Fireball Modelworks

Very interesting. Would the Mini-z Buggy rear rims fit? What is the external diameter of the mini-z rims? Those BFG tires look cool but I could picture my crawler with wider "balloon tires". I already have the Defender as a "street legal" crawler.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #13

My crawler now has seats, a steering wheel and a driver (who doesn't look too happy):

edit: I found a good deal on Kysho mini-z buggy rear rims and ordered them. Now to find the right tires. Any advice for soft crawler type tires that would fit?

Last edited by Isna; 01-05-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Not that will be that small. The 2wd Losi Micro 1/36 had some scale looking tires. Those Fireball tires would be a hard compound.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #15

I made the first pair of long travel Orlandoo shocks (seen next to the original shocks):

I made the shock body with a piece of telescopic antenna. I plugged one end by welding a piece brass rod that I drilled for the shaft. The shaft is from a short Orlandoo Defender suspension link (upper links).
Sure has more flex:

I need to make the second pair. It's amazing how making such a tiny simple part can take time and energy. The plug at the end of the shock body is the tricky part. Cutting drilling and welding such a tiny piece takes patience, especially with my lumberjack hands!
For the larger wheels, I am leaning towards Geko 24 tires.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isna View Post
Very interesting. Would the Mini-z Buggy rear rims fit? What is the external diameter of the mini-z rims? Those BFG tires look cool but I could picture my crawler with wider "balloon tires". I already have the Defender as a "street legal" crawler.

Yep the buggy wheels will work too, they use the same style mounting hole with the two flat spots. I always forget the diameter of mini z wheels but I think they are 19mm od.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #17

I will probably end up making a few interchangeable bodies for this crawler. This WE, I had a try at making a buggy style body:

Old 01-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #18

New wheels: Geko 24 tires on modified toy rims:

Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Nice.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #20

I will eventually try to make a nicer body and rims but I am now pretty satisfied with this crawler. I balanced it with lead to get a 55% front/ 45% rear weight ratio, slightly shortened the wheelbase and added rubber straps to the rear axle (helped a lot). With the extended shocks and 1.5 inch tires (with lead strips inside) this thing is really capable.

A video (before the tire upgrade):

A few detail pics:

And a preview of another project waiting to be completed:

Last edited by Isna; 01-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Working on a Orlandoo based rock crawler, first test... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheezy Rock Crawler Flash Based Game constantmotion Chit Chat 18 12-02-2009 10:53 PM
Which is better, A clod based crawler or Shaft/axle based crawler? Nova's Ark Newbie General 8 07-10-2007 10:34 AM
rock crawler not working anthony789 Newbie General 3 05-25-2006 11:59 PM