Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Steering servo upgrade and shock mod SCX24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steering servo upgrade and shock mod SCX24

I just purchased an Axial SCX24 and I really need to upgrade the steering servo and the bumpy shocks.

Servo:
I have seen that many people upgrade the servo to an Emax ES08MA, will this fit into the stock mount or do I need to mod or buy any aftermarket parts to make this fit?

Shocks:
What can be done with the stock shocks in order to make them less bumpy?

Thanks!
waqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Steering servo upgrade and shock mod SCX24

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqr View Post
I just purchased an Axial SCX24 and I really need to upgrade the steering servo and the bumpy shocks.

Servo:
I have seen that many people upgrade the servo to an Emax ES08MA, will this fit into the stock mount or do I need to mod or buy any aftermarket parts to make this fit?

Shocks:

Thanks!
You just need longer screws for the servo and some spacers to fill in the gap between the Emax servo fans and the stock mount. The Emax servo is taller, but otherwise the same so it fits in the stock mount.

Some people put grease in the shocks to soften the bumpiness.
noel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have my Emax servo installed with longer bolts, no spacers. In fact, I have two installed this way on my SCX24. But I can see how a small little spacer would look better. But its not needed IMO.

I found that putting a couple black rubber o rings around the shock sleeve to add some preload to the springs worked well. I think the stock springs are way too soft.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 01-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Servo:

Shocks:

Thanks!

I went to the HD and bought small o-rings in the plumbing section.
I added those to the top of the shocks and it helped dramatically. I added 2 per shock at the top.

I also am putting in a larger servo but opted for the tray from shapeways for a more cleaner fit. I couldn’t get longer screws in without them going in crooked so I just ordered the $10.00 part.

Longer screws and a bushing will give instant gratification though. I burned my servo up in about 3 weeks so I’m just waiting on a few parts to upgrade it and I’m done. For now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryan.hamm0nd1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies.

I will order an Emax servo today. What is the size of the longer screws?

Also, for the shocks I have two additional questions:

1- When you say that you fill the shocks with grease, do you fill the entire shock just like you do with regular shock oil or do you just put some grease on the shafts?

2- So the O-rings are just placed on top of the springs to increase the pre-load?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions
waqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I will order an Emax servo today. What is the size of the longer screws?

Also, for the shocks I have two additional questions:

1- When you say that you fill the shocks with grease, do you fill the entire shock just like you do with regular shock oil or do you just put some grease on the shafts?

2- So the O-rings are just placed on top of the springs to increase the pre-load?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions

For the bushings it helps the shocks not bottom out with the truck weight. I didn’t grease my shocks but that would prob keep things smooth. I have new shocks coming in anyway. I’ll save the spares for the kids trucks. But the new shocks are coming from asiatees website so it takes like a month to get into the US.

I ordered this servo tray for the larger Emax es08/09 servos , should be in tomorrow morning. I don’t like shoddy work with long screws and bushings to home a bigger servo. And it’s fairly cheap. To each is own tho...

This shapeways site has lots of very important upgrades like lower battery tray and lower esc tray. Just search scx24 and you’ll find all sorts of goodies. Here is the link to the tray though.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8J...li=marketplace
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.hamm0nd1981 View Post
For the bushings it helps the shocks not bottom out with the truck weight. I didn’t grease my shocks but that would prob keep things smooth. I have new shocks coming in anyway. I’ll save the spares for the kids trucks. But the new shocks are coming from asiatees website so it takes like a month to get into the US.

I ordered this servo tray for the larger Emax es08/09 servos , should be in tomorrow morning. I don’t like shoddy work with long screws and bushings to home a bigger servo. And it’s fairly cheap. To each is own tho...

This shapeways site has lots of very important upgrades like lower battery tray and lower esc tray. Just search scx24 and you’ll find all sorts of goodies. Here is the link to the tray though.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8J...li=marketplace

I also got the suv body mount because I hate the hinge on back.
Pain in but to work on it with the body flopping around so now I’ll have body post in the rear rather than a hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steering servo upgrade and shock mod SCX24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 steering upgrade Alexg89 Micro Scale Rigs 24 08-10-2020 05:30 AM
SCX24 Shock upgrade ??? JLOC Micro Scale Rigs 42 05-06-2020 12:38 PM
Itching for upright shock and steering mod gillbily23 Vaterra Twin Hammers 20 02-26-2015 04:17 AM
steering servo upgrade Aaronn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 12-26-2008 09:43 AM
Steering Servo Upgrade bustedcrawler Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 51 08-05-2004 01:17 PM