Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

For something to tinker with and in support of our local brick and mortar hobby shop RC Country, I bought an Axial SCX24 Deadbolt!

It's stock so far, got the battery charged while working today and need to test it out. Pulled rear diff apart to check before running, added drop of oil to the wormgear bearings, little bit extra high temperature synthetic black grease on the gears just in case and buttoned it back up. I'll check the front laters. Thank God these tiny screws are allenhead and machine threads, makes life much easier!

Gotta a lot of thread re-reading to do now, going with the free and cheap mods to start. Some reorganizing of components on the chassis should help COG, but for now stock, then compare the before and after. Looking around for a picture, because everybody loves pictures. Please standby to standby captain.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-07-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

Here she is, that may or may not be dirt from PLBTF 2019 on the floor of my car.

Vaterra Team Driver
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Funny, did the same thing. I was such a scx24 denier in the beginning - until I was mostly stuck in the backyard... Existing rocks were too small for the regular crawlers and the local hobby store offered curb side pickup. A phone call later I bought a scx24 C10 :-) A week later I had already the "Mil Stone Max wheel weights" installed (adds 60 grams to the axle) - what a difference. Waiting on a different body to try out.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hey Nate, I got the same truck in the mail yesterday! I have already put together a design for rear brass weights that fit on the axle, so non-rotating weight. I will test it tomorrow.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

Congrats! I also have the same truck, same color even, when FedEx decides to deliver it. Thursday was pushed back to Friday and now to Monday.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Fxman, ha that's funny, same situation here plus it can easily be strapped onto backpack.

Hey Ernie, wow that's awesome looking forward to what you come up with!

Thanks Tim, ya out of stock everywhere. I've been reading about these, LHS got a dozen the other day and they had three left so I bought one. Fun little truck so far, ran it for about 45 minutes last night and the lipo still had some juice in it, cut-off hadn't kicked in yet. Recharged fully in about 30-40 minutes...just guessing since I wasn't clock watching, but it was all lipo bagged and on non-flammable surface. Cats loved it too, were following around stalking it, even tried to swat it over a high center on a rock

Is there a metal gear servo that is same size as stock, ie. not as large as the Emax ES08MA?

Last edited by Natedog; 05-08-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

MG90s for the servo?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

BrakeWeight thanks for the suggestion, read a bit more and compared measurements to stock, ordered the EMAX ES08MA II 12g Mini Metal Gear Analog Servo from here as it's a closer to stock size:
https://emaxmodel.com/es08ma-ii.html

Also Mini Micro JST 2.0 PH 2-Pin Connector plug with Wires Cables 203mm or 8 inches
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123913064954

Would have bought more stuff at LHS the other day, but they are selling everything pretty quick and had no servos, lipos, beadlocks or tires for these little guys. Found a tube of spare 3x6x2.5mm bearings and some body clips in my parts bin.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

they're fun little trucks, for sure. curious to see how you like that servo, been wanting to upgrade mine without going to a larger one
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
BrakeWeight thanks for the suggestion, read a bit more and compared measurements to stock, ordered the EMAX ES08MA II 12g Mini Metal Gear Analog Servo from here as it's a closer to stock size:
https://emaxmodel.com/es08ma-ii.html

Also Mini Micro JST 2.0 PH 2-Pin Connector plug with Wires Cables 203mm or 8 inches
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123913064954

Would have bought more stuff at LHS the other day, but they are selling everything pretty quick and had no servos, lipos, beadlocks or tires for these little guys. Found a tube of spare 3x6x2.5mm bearings and some body clips in my parts bin.
Curious since you ordered the servo straight from their site, is it coming from China? Been looking at them for like $14 from Amazon Prime but for $7 I'll get two and give one to my brother if they are shipping from stateside. Thanks!
ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #11

$8, ships quickly from the US:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMAX-ES08MA...72.m2749.l2649

Still waiting on my truck... didn't think to call the hobby shops before I put my order in over a month ago. They are saying end of this month :( At least it lets me line some mods up - I got the front diff cover, the servo, and have knuckles enroute (you should see the INSANE route they have been taking the last two weeks!).
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

4RunnerKid, yes they are fun! After reading more, comparing specs and pulling out the ruler this servo seems like a good option as a spare just in case.

Ride1226, looks like China based company, noticed several complaints about counterfeit servos, lately bad quality...oh crap and some ads on Ebay and Amazon have blacked out the name on side of servo, hopefully mines not junk. :/

Icehawk, thanks for the suggestion but all sold out there. Hope you receive your SCX24 soon and get to enjoying it! Maybe find one locally, sell the other when it comes or keep as loaner rig?

I've got a bunch of paint for mine, co-worker's 3D printing some of Casey's sweet parts too, thanks HumboldtEF!
https://www.thingiverse.com/HumboldtEF/designs

Last edited by Natedog; 05-11-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
Bummer, out of stock. :/

Thanks though.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #14

I didn't click through but the listing says 34 available and let me put in my cart?

Does anyone know the difference between the stock links and the ones Mod19 made?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The Mod19 links with the lowering electronics tray are 2mm longer to clear the steering servo, or did you mean the steering link set?

Steering link set is tighter tolerances and less flexy for improved steering.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mod19-rc
Old 05-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Did some cage trimming, then sanded smooth the cuts, looks better and reduces weight up high. Drilled holes through the triangular cage braces for a place to stick body clips while swapping battery etc. thanks to someone else's thread I saw here, sorry but forget who to credit with this great idea.
Pulled apart the front axle, put a drop off oil on each bearing and black high temp grease on the worm gear. There was some kinda clear grease on it already, but they’re smoother now.

Painted the stock wheels with Flat Aluminum paint (front side and the wheel's backsides too), being careful with a small brush. Also did the rear diff cover in red.

Vaterra Team Driver

Last edited by Natedog; 05-11-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
I didn't click through but the listing says 34 available and let me put in my cart?

Does anyone know the difference between the stock links and the ones Mod19 made?
They restocked. Can order now too. That said the name on the side of the servo is blacked out. Pulled up reviews for just the last month on the seller. False advertising of item location and shipment details and multiple about it bei g fake items as well. What a world we live in that servos are being counterfeit.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #18

i ordered an es08ma11 off amazon and it didnt work. i found real ones at
https://www.scaleflying.com/Emax-12g...vo_p_4299.html
manini333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manini333 View Post
i ordered an es08ma11 off amazon and it didnt work. i found real ones at
https://www.scaleflying.com/Emax-12g...vo_p_4299.html
5$ each! I ordered 2! Thanks man.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride1226 View Post
They restocked. Can order now too. That said the name on the side of the servo is blacked out. Pulled up reviews for just the last month on the seller. False advertising of item location and shipment details and multiple about it bei g fake items as well. What a world we live in that servos are being counterfeit.
The one I got shipped from US and looks legit, it has a sticker on one side - eBay reviews of an item aren't per the seller they are per the item.

Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX24 waqr Videos! 0 03-04-2020 01:59 AM
Axial SCX24 waqr Videos! 0 03-01-2020 12:35 AM
My new Axial SCX24 topfueluhl Micro Scale Rigs 4 01-14-2020 06:54 PM
Natedog's 1.9 Wrascenderaith Natedog Vaterra Ascender 79 08-24-2016 11:44 PM