Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scx24 ultra4 chassis wip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #1

Default Scx24 ultra4 chassis wip

Working on my own twist of what I think would work killer on a scx24. Not to mention it gave me a good excuse to learn how to use fusion 360

I took what I found the ideal stretched wheel base, shock positioning would be and threw it together with a bunch of tubes and some “plate” I’m sure it will need work and changes, obviously my chassis won’t utilize the stock frame rails it will bolt directly to the skid but everything is beefy enough I’m not too worried about it being too brittle but..... I can always add more tubes and print another

Haven’t gotten to do body panels or any of the bling stuff yet but the majority of the chassis design is done.
This is designed to fit a 55mm spare tire if you choose as well as run the long CR-24 Shocks for extra travel or stock shocks will also work.

I filled in the firewall so I can double stick a receiver there since I’ll be putting in a brushless system in first thing.

The chassis will also fit the RC4WD baja designs headlights if you’re like me and have to have the extra scale points

Next up for this project is body panels then just checking measurements and making sure it all looks right.

Battery is nice and low in the front right where you want it and I left plenty of room up front so you have room to push the axle farther forward or back if you choose. Like I said it’s probably not perfect and as soon as I assemble one I’ll be making changes but it’s looking pretty sweet so far I’m excited to get one printed up!

Let me know what you guys think!

PS: I finally figured out how to add bends into the tubes with like 6 tubes to go that’s why the only 2 bent tubes on whole chassis are the little b pillar gussets
Attached Images

JP98_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Re: Scx24 ultra4 chassis wip

This is gonna be cool! I just finished a build, but used Losi micro gear. Mine is old-tech, using Plastruct & model glue. Made it up as I went...…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #3

Well I got the first print done a friend of mine printed it for me mocked it up going to make a few changes everything fit nicely I miscalculated a couple measurements but I was able to mock it up and get a feel for how everything fit. Now I can go back make the changes and improvements but here’s a few pics of the prototype print now I’ll make the final adjustments and go for the full print. Super excited to see how this this thing is coming together looks super scale and true to size even with the scrambler tires which is exactly what I going going for!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

It looks awesome! But if you want my honest opinion, the only thing I would possibly change is the roof line, I would probably lower it a tad bit. That's just my personal opinion. But overall I think you did an awesome job. Love to see it in it's completed form.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
TheCourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP98_ View Post
Well I got the first print done a friend of mine printed it for me mocked it up going to make a few changes everything fit nicely I miscalculated a couple measurements but I was able to mock it up and get a feel for how everything fit. Now I can go back make the changes and improvements but here’s a few pics of the prototype print now I’ll make the final adjustments and go for the full print. Super excited to see how this this thing is coming together looks super scale and true to size even with the scrambler tires which is exactly what I going going for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCourier View Post
It looks awesome! But if you want my honest opinion, the only thing I would possibly change is the roof line, I would probably lower it a tad bit. That's just my personal opinion. But overall I think you did an awesome job. Love to see it in it's completed form.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Looking awesome.

Little constructive criticism. Like TheCourier said, lower the roof height some and it will decrease the angles of the front A pillars making it more aesthetically pleasing. Add small gussets each side of the tube where the shock mount holes are located. Add tabs/gussets all around the chassis in the corners of the bracing so that body panels can be mounted. I wouldn't put a full size hole, just a small one to act as a pilot hole. Leave out the rear printed panel and the forward electronics tray only to save on print time and filament and add a lexan panel when building. Otherwise the panels are a nice touch.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Looking awesome.

Little constructive criticism. Like TheCourier said, lower the roof height some and it will decrease the angles of the front A pillars making it more aesthetically pleasing. Add small gussets each side of the tube where the shock mount holes are located. Add tabs/gussets all around the chassis in the corners of the bracing so that body panels can be mounted. I wouldn't put a full size hole, just a small one to act as a pilot hole. Leave out the rear printed panel and the forward electronics tray only to save on print time and filament and add a lexan panel when building. Otherwise the panels are a nice touch.
Thanks for the ideas, after I sat and though about what I wanted/needed to change and to do it the right way most of the front end had to come off and the square edges on the roof bothered me and now that I know how to radius tubes in fusion I can do that

Yes of course! panels in my opinion finish the look of a car. I just didn't bother doing panels and all the gussets when I knew I was most likely going to delete a bunch of stuff and change things around. i'll add that stuff into this version.

I'll also look into lowering the roof line a little the reason its the size it is though is when we do our little races when we lose a motor its quicker to pull the trans out through the window and do the motor swap than it is to drop the skid but I might be able to get it to fit lowering it a little as well thanks for the input!
Old 05-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looking awesome.

X2, really diggin this, great job!

Maybe angle the sides of the upper cage in a little too, so it's not quite so straight up in that axis too?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:48 AM   #8

After taking some of your guys feedback as well as my own ideas after I had the test print there was some things I needed and wanted to change or make better. This isn’t fully complete yet obviously but believe it or not a deleted just about everything from the original file and just about started over. Only kept a few tubes in the rear end, part of the door bars and the skid plate mounts. Here’s a list of some of the changes I made for version 2
-Lowered the roof
-Added some more angle to the top of the cage so it didn't look so “boxy”
-Radius on the a pillar now that I know how to do that
-Larger battery tray
-Battery tray lowered and moved back so I could bring the front shock mounts closer to the center for better shock angles and still clear the servo
-Changed tubes above rear axle to be able to bump deeper with longer shocks
-Added more boatside into the side of the chassis
-Revised measurements on skid plate mounts
-Added slots into rear firewall to run taillight wiring though
-Will have mounts for the 1” vanquish rigid light bar as the headlight

Still lots to do and add in like finishing front shock mounts and the front end. Again I’ll be adding gussets a the main corners that take the majority of the abuse. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I’m digging it. I really want a 3D printer yo do some of this myself. Ever since user @Fungi started doing 3D chassis’ years ago and since faded away. Instead of boxing in the spare tire like a Twin Hammers, have you considered open like the Bomber? I rigged my Bomber spare to spin instead of fixed solid and it kind of helps more than hinders. If you can see what I’m trying to say.

Have a look through these tube chassis and see if there’s anything structural to take away. Most of his are a scaled down version of a larger chassis. One thing to note, his were built to crawl. So look at how he upper mounted the shocks inboard compared to a vertical U4 format. More angle=more travel and a ‘softer feel’ with the same spring.

https://lynxmicrotech.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Brake Weight; 05-29-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Diggin it too, very nice! Happy Friday, grab a second cup of coffee!
Old 05-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I’m digging it. I really want a 3D printer yo do some of this myself. Ever since user @Fungi started doing 3D chassis’ years ago and since faded away. Instead of boxing in the spare tire like a Twin Hammers, have you considered open like the Bomber? I rigged my Bomber spare to spin instead of fixed solid and it kind of helps more than hinders. If you can see what I’m trying to say.

Have a look through these tube chassis and see if there’s anything structural to take away. Most of his are a scaled down version of a larger chassis. One thing to note, his were built to crawl. So look at how he upper mounted the shocks inboard compared to a vertical U4 format. More angle=more travel and a ‘softer feel’ with the same spring.
Good question! ill probably make a second version of this chassis with an open rear like you're talking about but personally i don't think it will be strong enough for how we drive these things. That's why i boxed in the rear and ill make a panel to close up that rear section if you choose to not run a spare.
I just think with how small these 3d prints are the back would just break off if you took any sort of good hit or tumble back there. ill design one though cause some of my buddies want a thinner rear but personally i wanted more strength back there as well as the option to run a spare
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Bring the two outer downtubes from the roof line all the way to the rear of cage?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #13

Just sent the latest file off to a buddy who’s printing the chassis. Pretty stoked on how it’s coming out I’m excited to get it and start putting it together. Everything’s done except body panels can’t seem to figure out how to make those yet

Let me know what you guys think! Probably going to work on another version of this chassis with a back half not intended to run a spare tire if I get bored over the next couple days.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #14

That looks great! Excellent work.

Do you know which printer your friend is using?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bring the two outer downtubes from the roof line all the way to the rear of cage?
I can play with that too and see how it looks I just felt like this was the look I was going for
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good. Bash on it on your course and find any weaknesses.

If you can make a template for panels then you’re golden. Cut panels out of Bang cans or whatever medium you want. Hit up school supply section for colored plastic folders to hack up. Some thin lexan in the .030” or 1/32 range will suffice on a micro if you want to paint it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282068238736
Old 05-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Thank you! Getting closer to a finished product

I’m pretty sure he’s using the Creality 3D printer but I could be wrong
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Thank you! Getting closer to a finished product

I’m pretty sure he’s using the Creality 3D printer but I could be wrong
Old 05-30-2020, 01:04 AM   #19

Panels are kind of there not sure if I did it right but they’re there!

Should be pretty clean all said and done. Can’t wait to get some of this stuff rolling they chassis should be on the printer tomorrow then I’ll test fit it all
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP98_ View Post
Panels are kind of there not sure if I did it right but they’re there!

Should be pretty clean all said and done. Can’t wait to get some of this stuff rolling they chassis should be on the printer tomorrow then I’ll test fit it all
Are you able to extrapolate a scale rendering of the body panels to print out on a sheet of paper?

Scx24 ultra4 chassis wip - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 carbon chassis I found on FB PNWRC Micro Scale Rigs 12 10-03-2021 10:16 AM
SCX24 Chassis and Performance Differences JatoTheRipper Micro Scale Rigs 31 04-25-2020 05:10 PM
I'm looking for the Ultra4 chassis Rc-Ultra4 Axial Wraith 11 02-11-2020 12:52 AM