Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hot-racing scx24 shocks - my impressions and test video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Hot-racing scx24 shocks - my impressions and test video

Hi everyone,

I had seen some mixed reviews of the hot-racing aluminum shocks for the scx24, but liked their look so thought I'd give them a whirl.

When I first installed them they looked cool but were far too stiff & springy (with the firm springs, the soft ones could barely support the weight of the body).

I added some green slime to the piston/cylinder, partially filled them with 30k cSt diff fluid, and after a few hours of break-in they’ve softened a little and I’m loving them.

I made a short slow-mo video to show the dampening etc: https://youtu.be/gsGk1rjfy1I

Last edited by karl_toboggan_rc; 06-22-2020 at 05:51 PM.
karl_toboggan_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hot-racing scx24 shocks - my impressions and test video

They really give it a scale look. It’s not bouncing like undamped suspension.

I’m thinking about installing these on my miniz with an adapter. Do they come with oil and softer springs?
CrawlingSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #3

They don't come with oil - I used a combination of this 30k cst oil (which is what hot-racing recommends) and some green slime which was recommended in a few other threads here.

They do come with a set of softer springs but they're MUCH softer - might be ok with just the lexan body in a droop setup but with my accessories/extra weight they didn't work at all.

I have a Mini-Z on the way and plan on trying the green slime/oil before I look at replacing the shocks because I think the dampening makes a bigger difference overall, but I'm tempted by the adapters too...
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

From the looks of things, way less bouncy. i know they utilize a fake reservoir like factory shocks. Is the damping way better than stock even using the same mods to fill the stock axial shocks? ive got 2 jlu running factory shocks using green slime and heavy duty ball joint grease from my truck getting similar effect. Did you happen to run the soft springs with out your scale body with weight? Just wondering since i had planned to by a set of these or 3 and not load it down with scale accessories. So wondering how they are overall since ive got them and a c10
Crawler Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #5

Default Hot-racing scx24 shocks - my impressions and test video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Noob View Post
Is the damping way better than stock even using the same mods to fill the stock axial shocks? ive got 2 jlu running factory shocks using green slime and heavy duty ball joint grease from my truck getting similar effect. Did you happen to run the soft springs with out your scale body with weight?
I think with stock weight they're not a huge upgrade over modded stock shocks (besides the looks/being aluminum), though I didn't run mine stock for very long. The main advantage I found was that the stronger springs allowed for more dampening before they'd start to "stick".

And yeah the soft springs were bad even before any extra weight - they could barely decompress on their own once dampened even off the body.

Last edited by karl_toboggan_rc; 07-09-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_toboggan_rc View Post
I think with stock weight they're not a huge upgrade over modded stock shocks (besides the looks/being aluminum), though I didn't run mine stock for very long. The main advantage I found was that the stronger springs allowed for more dampening before they'd start to "stick".

And yeah the soft springs were bad even before any extra weight - they could barely decompress on their own once dampened even off the body .
I guess ill try the hobby plus cr24 shocks out instead after this review. even though all the other hot racing stuff has been really good for the scx
Old 07-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Noob View Post
I guess ill try the hobby plus cr24 shocks out instead after this review. even though all the other hot racing stuff has been really good for the scx

I’ve seen a few people report that the Hobby Plus shocks stick after a while - the Carisma oil-filled ones seem to give the best performance but require a bit more modification to fit the scx.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_toboggan_rc View Post
I’ve seen a few people report that the Hobby Plus shocks stick after a while - the Carisma oil-filled ones seem to give the best performance but require a bit more modification to fit the scx.

ill be checking those then, thanks man

Hot-racing scx24 shocks - my impressions and test video - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/24 scx24 jeep hot racing build SRJ Micro Scale Rigs 5 07-03-2020 02:56 PM
Hot racing shocks for scx24 bryan.hamm0nd1981 Micro Scale Rigs 7 01-28-2020 09:36 AM
More Hot Racing SCX24 parts spoo76 Micro Scale Rigs 9 09-12-2019 07:19 AM
Hot Racing Rims & SHocks Suggestions Before Install stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 01-30-2010 02:23 PM
Hot Racing Genuine Beadlocks, Shocks & Other Stuff stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 28 01-25-2010 08:58 PM