Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wheel Weights block air vent in Wheels (SCX24)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Wheel Weights block air vent in Wheels (SCX24)

Hey guys, I did some searching but couldn't find anything.

I have the HR wheel brass installed on my Deadbolt and I just got a second SCX24 jeep. I noticed on the stock SCX the tires compress pretty easily because theres no or little foam and an air vent hole inside the wheel rim.

On the Deadbolt the brass blocks the vent hole and thew tires dont compress the same way and if compressed take time to pop back to normal.

I dont know what impact this has to performance, or if it's a feature not a problem. But I wanted to ask all of you.
definitivecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wheel Weights block air vent in Wheels (SCX24)

Quite a few RTR crawlers come with vented wheels, but you can find aftermarket wheels that are not vented. Folks sometimes run non-vented wheels if they drive through water regularly. It keeps the foams from soaking up water and degrading quicker.

Foam inserts are fairly cheap and swapping them is a good tuning option anyways, I drill a 1/16 hole in any wheels I get that are not pre-vented. Usually just takes a hole in the bead lock insert, but I'm not familiar with your setup.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
Basicbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Vented tires perform better as they can conform to the terrain easier. You can either vent the wheel or the tire, its more common to vent the tire. A leather punch works well though not likely for this small of a tire, or a soldering iron (I use an old crummy one).

I'm fairly certain these wheels have not foams at all so water shouldn't be an issue.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks, I was debating just popping a hole on the inside sidewall of the tires but didn't want them to tear over time. I would much rather have the wheel vented, but the HR Brass wheel weights block the hole. I might just file a channel for the air to escape so the brass isn't sealing the hole.
definitivecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitivecars View Post
Thanks, I was debating just popping a hole on the inside sidewall of the tires but didn't want them to tear over time. I would much rather have the wheel vented, but the HR Brass wheel weights block the hole. I might just file a channel for the air to escape so the brass isn't sealing the hole.
I drilled a pair of holes in my weights
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheel Weights block air vent in Wheels (SCX24) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AlienTac Wheels and VP SS Wheel Weights Donkeylips87 Tires and Wheels 2 11-15-2018 10:11 PM
how much wheel weights in my wheels??? DAN8701 Newbie General 28 11-12-2009 01:30 PM
how much wheel weights in my wheels??? DAN8701 Newbie General 2 09-20-2009 07:22 AM
Air vent or not? LIGGAN Tires and Wheels 6 05-10-2007 07:43 AM