Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: What's breaking on your SCX24's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's breaking on your SCX24's?

I have 2 of the little guys. The only real broken part I have seen so far was the stock motor which burnt up. I have doing mini comps with the little guy before the COVID shut those down.
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twp View Post
I checked the tracking number too see it’s it’s moved any. It’s been in the same location for 9 days. Thanks usps
You could get a job there to help move things along. We're (UPS, FedEx, USPS, Amazon, OnTrac...) all getting murdered by shipping demand right now. Doesn't help that President put one of his donors in charge of USPS to cripple it just in time for presidential elections too.

I'm just burned out on people burning the messenger/carriers for their inconveniences.
Dogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #23

Yes the servos are crazy weak. My pending upgrades will be the servo, steering linkage, and servo mount. They are currently There is also a 3d printed servo mount on shapeways. Only $2 cheaper than the aluminum, but a good option if you want to keep the weight down. Not a bad spot for some weight being axle mounted though. Shapeways also carries the upgrade steering linkage. I'm running stock and haven't broken anything, but my truck has the easy life. It is my bad weather only run indoors car.

Last edited by SF RC24; 07-20-2020 at 06:18 AM.
SF RC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #24

I bought two of them and the throttle stopped responding on both of them about two days in. My son played with them pretty hard, but nothing is broken or wrecked. It was like the battery died, put a new battery in and no throttle response. I've tried 4 different batteries in both vehicles but neither will respond. Axial support suggested it was the ESC stuck in a low voltage cutoff and said I should send them both in under warranty. What do you guys think the issue is?
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn View Post
I bought two of them and the throttle stopped responding on both of them about two days in.
-snip-
What do you guys think the issue is?

That sounds like the servo most likely, unplug it or swap with a known good servo (even if its the wrong size) and re-test.

A bad servo can do some odd stuff back feeding voltage to the ESC or in this case preventing the ESC from powering up.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-23-2020 at 10:52 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
That sounds like the servo most likely, unplug it or swap with a known good servo (even if its the wrong size) and re-test.

A bad servo can do some odd stuff back feeding voltage to the ESC or in this case preventing the ESC from powering up.
I just tried unplugging everything from the ESC, then plugging back in just the motor. Still no throttle response. When it was plugged in, the servo was still responding properly to steering inputs even though the throttle wasn't. Also, the lights on the ESC indicate it is properly connecting with the radio.

Is there a way to tell if the motor is dead? Or is it more likely a power issue on the ESC?
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just tried unplugging everything from the ESC, then plugging back in just the motor. Still no throttle response. When it was plugged in, the servo was still responding properly to steering inputs even though the throttle wasn't. Also, the lights on the ESC indicate it is properly connecting with the radio.

Is there a way to tell if the motor is dead? Or is it more likely a power issue on the ESC?

You could test the motor by sending power directly to it. Take a few AA batteries and tape them end to end so they connect, tape some wires to the exposed ends (+ & -) then touch these to the terminals on the back of the motor (where the wires are soldered). You'll have to pull back the heat shrink protecting these to make contact.

If 3 volts from the 2 AA's isnt enough to spin the motor try adding more batteries. Keep in mind this will spin the motor up to full speed (for this voltage) so be ready for that.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #28

my ESC died after the 3rd or 4th run, and I haven't touched the truck since. What ESCs are you guys using?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #29

Quote:

This just happened on one of mine. The motor is fried. Luckily I was able to test it using the other rigs motor. Local shop had them for $7 so I bought two.

Sarkis
sjalkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
my ESC died after the 3rd or 4th run, and I haven't touched the truck since. What ESCs are you guys using?
Same here. Just ran it yesterday on my desk - for the third time. Plug in the battery today and POO (smoke and all) the little ESC fried out of nowhere
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:13 PM   #31

I have a HiTec HS-5065 laying around and I'm hoping that I can use it in the SCX24. Does anyone know if the HR EMax servo mount is also compatible with the HiTec? I saw some mention of cross compatibility on Shapeways, but nowhere else.

Is it safe to assume that the EMax is the go to servo due to it's price point? The specs on the HiTec are a little better and am curious as to why no one is using it.
_e_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:56 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by _e_w_ View Post
I have a HiTec HS-5065 laying around and I'm hoping that I can use it in the SCX24. Does anyone know if the HR EMax servo mount is also compatible with the HiTec? I saw some mention of cross compatibility on Shapeways, but nowhere else.

Is it safe to assume that the EMax is the go to servo due to it's price point? The specs on the HiTec are a little better and am curious as to why no one is using it.
I’ve got the EMax servo and HR mount on mine after tripping the servo spline threads and it’s worked well enough that the parts are on order to put them on my Dad’s truck and a Microshark I’m collecting parts for.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I’ve got the EMax servo and HR mount on mine after tripping the servo spline threads and it’s worked well enough that the parts are on order to put them on my Dad’s truck and a Microshark I’m collecting parts for.

Sorry didn't mean to question the quality of the EMax, it seems solid and if that's what I end up with I'm cool with that, I'm just trying to use what I have on hand to fix the shortcomings of the SCX.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that the EMax is the go to servo due to it's price point?

Yes, since the Emax is about $10, gives way better performance that the stock servo, and kind of fits into the stock servo tray, it is the most recommended servo upgrade.

Other servos can be used with custom trays. Savox, Reefs, AGF-RC, NSDRC
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to question the quality of the EMax, it seems solid and if that's what I end up with I'm cool with that, I'm just trying to use what I have on hand to fix the shortcomings of the SCX.
To be honest, if I still worked for a hobby shop and had a variety of servos to look over easily, I would have started with a HiTec or Savox as a comparison, since I do not, I went with the EMax since it’s known to work and Hot Racing offers a metal servo mount made to put them on these trucks.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #36

My JLU should arrive by Saturday, I’ll try and put the 5065 in and report back.

EMax's website shows that from the back of the ear to the bottom of the spline is 9mm and the measurement I just took of the HS5065 is 8.75mm, so it should work.

Does the HR EMax mount move the servo forward and if so by how much?

Last edited by _e_w_; 05-20-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

The EMax servo doesn't suck but the upgrade to a Savox is well worth the money. I have one with an EMax, one NSDRC and 2 Savox. The Savox are outstanding. Haven't got a chance to try the NSDRC yet but I'm expecting good things.

Motors suck. Barrage motor is a bit better. Personally, I'd go brushless.
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
The EMax servo doesn't suck but the upgrade to a Savox is well worth the money. I have one with an EMax, one NSDRC and 2 Savox. The Savox are outstanding. Haven't got a chance to try the NSDRC yet but I'm expecting good things.

Motors suck. Barrage motor is a bit better. Personally, I'd go brushless.

I ordered an HR Emax mount, which I should have next week. Good to know about the Savox servos, I'm considering one or two for something else.

Eventually I will go brushless, since I plan to add some brass, but will stick with the stocker until it burns out.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

killed a emax servo, and even a reefs servo and a barrage motor ��
XanderBolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderBolanos View Post
killed a emax servo, and even a reefs servo and a barrage motor ��
If you're doing that, you are binding up both the motor and servo. back off on your endpoints, loosen your wheelnuts a bit and don't pin the throttle if the wheels get stuck.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote

What's breaking on your SCX24's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdrives keep breaking sixhundred71 Axial Wraith 8 02-29-2012 06:17 PM
breaking the barrier eric113 Chit Chat 2 07-21-2011 09:06 PM
Breaking Down house_Fly Chit Chat 5 12-12-2009 08:53 AM