Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Reverse slowdown issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Question SCX24 Reverse slowdown issue?

I've been lurking a bit here before finally deciding to get back into the hobby and I wound up grabbing a SCX24 C10 in teal. I've got a bunch of ideas for this little guy, but after owning it for a week, a problem has started occurring.

After a few minutes of driving it around (during which, it behaves normally), it will start acting peculiar. When reversing, it starts at normal speed, but will slow down, as if I'm laying off of the reverse throttle control. After a bit of that, it doesn't just slow down, it lurches.

Forward is not affected in any way, only reverse.

I attempted to diagnose the problem myself, first by removing the front and rear axles and testing both by spinning the end of the drive shaft, first one way and then another, and neither of them hang up at all, they're buttery smooth.

I'm starting to think either the motor or the ESC/Receiver is the issue, but before pursuing warranty replacement bits, I thought I'd see if anyone else has dealt with this type of issue, and if so, how they solved it.

(I did spot another thread about a similar issue, but as it wasn't quite the same situation, I thought another thread would be useful.)
Slorpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX24 Reverse slowdown issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slorpy View Post
I've been lurking a bit here before finally deciding to get back into the hobby and I wound up grabbing a SCX24 C10 in teal. I've got a bunch of ideas for this little guy, but after owning it for a week, a problem has started occurring.

After a few minutes of driving it around (during which, it behaves normally), it will start acting peculiar. When reversing, it starts at normal speed, but will slow down, as if I'm laying off of the reverse throttle control. After a bit of that, it doesn't just slow down, it lurches.

Forward is not affected in any way, only reverse.

I attempted to diagnose the problem myself, first by removing the front and rear axles and testing both by spinning the end of the drive shaft, first one way and then another, and neither of them hang up at all, they're buttery smooth.

I'm starting to think either the motor or the ESC/Receiver is the issue, but before pursuing warranty replacement bits, I thought I'd see if anyone else has dealt with this type of issue, and if so, how they solved it.

(I did spot another thread about a similar issue, but as it wasn't quite the same situation, I thought another thread would be useful.)

A friend of mine has the same issue only in the H controller setting, not in L or M...thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kvillamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvillamil View Post
A friend of mine has the same issue only in the H controller setting, not in L or M...thanks...

Hey, thanks for giving me the idea to change it! I've been keeping mine in M for no real reason at all. I'll give the others a try and see what happens.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slorpy View Post
Hey, thanks for giving me the idea to change it! I've been keeping mine in M for no real reason at all. I'll give the others a try and see what happens.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you resolve it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kvillamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I only run mine in H speed position (provides full power and speed when needed and modulated by my finger) and not a problem atm. Sounds like you've done a great basic troubleshooting. I've read of some peeps servo caused ESC issues, I'd unplug the steering servo and drive it forward and reverse see if there's any difference. Also move the transmitter L/M/H speed switch back and forth several times through all the settings and back to where you like it, could be a dirty/bad connection inside that adjustment switch and moving it around can help clean it up for better contact.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion, Natedog. I've tried each of the L-M-H settings and the problem persisted with them all, so I went ahead and got in touch with customer support/warranty services. I have to say I'm impressed with how they handle things. They agree that the problem seems to be either in the motor itself or the ESC/RX, so they sent one of each to me.

I'm going to try one and then the other just to see which of them is the source of the problem, then report back just so others might not have to go digging as far as I have. I'll be honest, I enjoy the act of tearing down and rebuilding almost as much as I like actually driving these things.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Did you receive the replacement and have you tested it to confirm that was the issue? I have the same issue.

Thanks.
BakerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #8

Same here chugs in reverse on all speeds but I run it in H because I wanna go fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxb4987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #9

I'm having similar issues with my C10 SCX24.

Honestly I've had a lot of issues with these. I bought 3 of them about two months ago, 2 Deadbolts and the C10. The first Deadbolt throttle stopped responding 3 days in. The C10 throttle did the same thing about 3 days in as well. Steering continued to work fine on both. Second Deadbolt started driving super slow 3 or 4 days after I got it. Ended up going through the warranty process for all 3 trucks and sent them back to Axial.

Axial replaced one Deadbolt completely because it needed a new transmission and they were back ordered. They replaced the motors in the C10 and 2nd Deadbolt and sent those back. Servo has gone out in the 1st Deadbolt already in about 2 days, C10 still running but doing the slow reverse thing mentioned above, and 2nd Deadbolt has repeated the issue with the throttle stopping responding. So basically that is 6 trucks that all broke less than 5 days after receiving, and they aren't being abused at all.

I want to try and replace the motors / servos and maybe the ESCs to see if I can get them working again on a reliable basis but need some suggestions for the best parts to get. Unfortunately I don't have hours and hours to search through the forums, Amazon and hobby websites trying to track down the right parts and the stock Axial parts are obviously worthless.

Last edited by sdorn; 09-03-2020 at 10:59 PM.
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX24 Reverse slowdown issue?

SaVox 0257 servo has been great for me. A little expensive though. A lot of people are using the Emax es08 servo cheaper than SaVox but still works well.
Dynamite barrage 1/24 motor for a replacement. You’ll have to drill holes in the motor plate for it to work. The mounting screws are in the opposite sides. Or you can order a new mounting plate from Shapeways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 Reverse slowdown issue? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 Issue. Need Help BirdRacer99 Micro Scale Rigs 13 04-17-2020 12:15 PM
Scx24 goes into reverse when throttle trim higher then m sasq40 Micro Scale Rigs 2 04-15-2020 06:38 PM
Scx24 vertical climbing / reverse shock? Exalted85 Micro Scale Rigs 5 09-19-2019 04:46 PM
4PL reverse issue Morbid Angel Electronics 3 06-08-2015 02:53 PM
Need help!!!!! Reverse Issue. Jaycrawls General Crawlers 2 07-29-2006 12:14 PM