Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

The brass knuckles came in super quick so I got those installed tonight. I haven’t ordered diff covers, but likely will eventually.

HR etches 8g on the top of them so I had to double check. I’m not sure if this validates my scale or HR’s weight claim, but either conclusion is a good one, haha.

The stock knuckles weigh next to nothing. Maybe 1g per. I couldn’t get it to register a weight with a single knuckle, and it reads 2g with both of them.

I very much dislike that HR etches the weight on them, so I wiped it off with a scotch brite.

Looks awesome with the brass. I’m excited to see if it makes it significantly more stable.

Edit: A quick living room crawl shows that it does really well. It feels more and more like my 1:10 with each mod. Very happy with how it performs in the current state.

Last edited by Bray D; 10-06-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

Interested in your thoughts on the added weight after a few more runs.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Interested in your thoughts on the added weight after a few more runs.
It's been doing awesome. I finally got on some rocks tonight and it felt stable and predictable the whole time.

I had a load of rip rap delivered today. This will be relocated and become the main feature for my 1:10 rock quarry. In the meantime, I stole some smaller rocks from the pile and made a micro course inside the shop.

The rock is still dusty as it hasn't been rain washed yet, but the rig still did pretty good. It's hard to say how well the tires hook up with the limited outdoor drive time, but I'm happy to see the CI foams making them work.

Here's an extremely short, dimly lit, unedited video. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/zbQvd-sBJto

Last edited by Bray D; 10-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

I'm going to put some RC4WD Wranglers on mine and see how it does. I think adding the brass knuckles makes more sense than the diff cover to start. The steel wheels and new tires should get me about a 3g per side increase in weight. Waiting for the stock servo to give up the ghost. Lasted longer than I expected.

Looked like it's going to do well on the new rocks
Old 10-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I'm going to put some RC4WD Wranglers on mine and see how it does. I think adding the brass knuckles makes more sense than the diff cover to start. The steel wheels and new tires should get me about a 3g per side increase in weight. Waiting for the stock servo to give up the ghost. Lasted longer than I expected.

Looked like it's going to do well on the new rocks
The RC4WD steel wheels add way more than 3g.
You lose a bit of snap with them but the stability increase is very noticeable.
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

Looking forward to seeing the new tires and wheels on your rig, Gramps. I’m surprised you haven’t bit the bullet on an upgraded servo yet. The stock unit with the servo saver drove me absolutely crazy, haha.

I’m still happy with the knuckles. They come with bushings so they still turn freely after tightening them against the inner C. Something that can’t be said for the stock knuckles. Weight up front is always good too.

Shiggy - I think he’s running wheel weights, so I’m guessing the +3g is steel vs weighed plastic.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
The RC4WD steel wheels add way more than 3g.
You lose a bit of snap with them but the stability increase is very noticeable.

Very true but my stock wheels are weighted, 19g.

@Bray D Haha I actually have a Emax ready. I keep holding out trying to kill the stock one. Either way I don't think it will be around much longer.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

I’ve been playing around with my shock position a bit. I want more travel without changing my ride height.

I jumped into Fusion to see what I could do. It turns out laying the shock down so much that it mounts below the frame would yield an additional 6.5mm of travel or so.

My shocks measured 22.5mm compressed and 32.5mm extended so that’s what I used as my reference. Here’s my layout if you care to decipher it. This would be looking at the passenger side rear. 3 holes in the frame. The upper boss is the factory mount position. The lower boss is my new proposed location.

Printed and installed.

Then I started looking at the front. Turns out I could just replace my tray mount bolt with my shock stud and it worked pretty good.

Maintained the same ride height as before (super low).

But now it will comfortably get onto 3 stock tires/wheels (so much for my RTI ambitions, eh?).

That’s the limit of articulation though. Any more and it starts to lift the rear.

It took it out to the shop for a test crawl and I must say, it made a significant difference. Far more capable and still very stable. I’m sold on droop setups. They work well.

I pulled the boatsides off just to make it easier to work. I’m re-printing them from PETG right now then they’ll go back on.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

I tried mounting the shocks on the frame but it made both the C10 & Deadbolt, made both of them real tipsy. I didn't care for it at all that way. Haven't tried it that way using full droop but it does make sense there are no springs pushing on the chassis around. May have to try it again.

What shocks are you using? Don't look like the ones that came on mine.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

I took a fairly long video. I'll post it once it uploads so you can see how it works. I flopped it a couple times, so the limit was found, haha.

These are the stock shocks, I just removed the upper spring seats and cut the faux reservoirs off. They're otherwise unmodified (same shock shaft, no grease, etc).

After I got back in from my evening run, I found that the front shocks were excessively dusty. Looks like the tires are rubbing them at full lock. I think I'll move the front shocks back to their original position; I need all of the steering I can get.

Edit: Got the video uploaded.

https://youtu.be/n7-n9NTo_Hg

Last edited by Bray D; 10-14-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Looked like it was crawling rather well. Didn't seem anything like mine when I tried it.

If the shocks are rubbing on the front wheels what about a little bit thicker hex to push the wheels out a little further? Just a thought
Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

That's definitely a solution, but I'm not sure I want to push my tires out further right now. Since I'm not running springs I can get pretty creative. I think there's a slick way to achieve what I'm looking to do without changing anything else up too much, I just need to think on it for a bit.

For now, I'll see how it does with the long travel rear and stock travel front.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

I added onto my rock pile and did some crawling between shop work. Overall it performs pretty well with the stock travel front, but I’d still prefer a near balanced rig. The rear was definitely doing most of the work at times.

No action shots or videos, but I did bring some 1-2-3 blocks inside to give a visual of how much more droop the rear has.

Supported from the bumpers, stock travel front with shocks mounted below the frame in the rear.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I gotta get myself a 1/24 scale. I used to stay away from them since I have a lot off stuff for 1/10th, but you can find a fun spot pretty much anywhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I gotta get myself a 1/24 scale. I used to stay away from them since I have a lot off stuff for 1/10th, but you can find a fun spot pretty much anywhere
I bought this one with full intentions of it being a 'toy' and using it as a platform to learn more about 3D printing. I've certainly learned a lot about printing, but this little rig is legit too. I drive it way more than my 1:10 these days. It's way easier to find challenging obstacles at this scale (living in the Midwest).

The parts are tiny too, which makes the printing and mods come quickly. The rear shock mounts take 12 minutes to print. Complete wheels take right around 1 hour per wheel. I can spend a Sunday morning designing/printing and have parts on the rig for testing by noon. It's awesome.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
I bought this one with full intentions of it being a 'toy' and using it as a platform to learn more about 3D printing. I've certainly learned a lot about printing, but this little rig is legit too. I drive it way more than my 1:10 these days. It's way easier to find challenging obstacles at this scale (living in the Midwest).

The parts are tiny too, which makes the printing and mods come quickly. The rear shock mounts take 12 minutes to print. Complete wheels take right around 1 hour per wheel. I can spend a Sunday morning designing/printing and have parts on the rig for testing by noon. It's awesome.

Yeah, while I’m over here spending 1 day and 12hrs for a bed on my 1:10th

Old 10-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yeah, while I’m over here spending 1 day and 12hrs for a bed on my 1:10th
Long prints like that are brutal. I printed a set of wheels for my 1:10 also and it took right at 1 day to do all 4.

1:24 scale parts are almost instant gratification, haha.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Long prints like that are brutal. I printed a set of wheels for my 1:10 also and it took right at 1 day to do all 4.

1:24 scale parts are almost instant gratification, haha.

It’s even worse when they fail over half way through.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #79
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Loving all the printed mods.

I am in the same boat, testing my printing skills on the scx24. Largest print yet was an entire body, 27hrs. Came out awesome, and then had a major fail on a 12 hr roll cage print.

Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Statenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

No huge updates, other than I broke a printed rear shock mount. It was PETG too. I've been struggling printing that material. If I don't get it figured out by the end of this spool I'll likely go back to PLA or try PLA+.

Anyways, here's another video from the ever-growing rock garden in the shop.

https://youtu.be/HyTiTsTcv-I

SCX 24 - Layer by Layer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color backing and layer - for a newbie Jboucher Paint and Body 20 01-03-2018 12:16 PM
Rolands Winter project scx build..Scx trophy truck ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 20 03-10-2016 01:21 PM