Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

I don't have much luck printing PETG either. I print almost everything with PA+

The indoor rock garden is looking good. The Deadbolt seems to be navigating it well too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I've largely been printing with PLA and Nylon. PETG is a little finicky and isn't stronger than PLA. Nylon is definitely more durable, and seems to generally print more reliably than PETG. I'm actually in the process of printing a frame for a cloth canopy for my C10 as I speak.
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

The rock garden is a serious challenge, but that's what keeps it interesting. I'd like to add some sand or something to lock the smaller rocks in place, but I'm not sure I want to commit that much with this setup. As it is I can just toss all of the rocks into a wheelbarrow and have my space back again. Adding sand/dirt would add to the complexity. We'll see what it evolves into.

I had high hopes for PETG initially, but my print quality seems to have declined over time. I started using an unheated bed with painters tape. That worked pretty well, but I didn't like the finish and the corners of my prints would curl up. I've since built an enclosure and I'm printing on smooth glass at 80C. It sticks similar to what PLA did at 60C, but the remainder of my print doesn't look so hot - especially smaller parts. I’ve been playing with my print settings for days and can’t seem to get it dialed.

I'll keep tinkering and maybe I'll crack the code. If not, PLA has worked well for me thus far.

This is my workstation as it sits today. The acrylic front sheet just rests on the enclosure so it’s not air tight, but it should eliminate the effects of ambient air drafts.

Last edited by Bray D; 10-19-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

I don't know that I would want sand or dirt in the shop unless it was in an enclosure. Plus I'm not sure the wife would let me bring rocks into the basement. :-)

I thought an enclosure was only needed for ABS. I ran across HTPLA+ last night. It's made to be annealed. Sounded interesting I think I'm going to buy a roll and try it. MakersMatter sells it and FilaCube has some too. I'm going to try the FilaCube it's cheaper at $20 a roll on Amazon
Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure an enclosure is needed for PETG, but I thought I'd put my best foot forward trying to maximize print quality. With the higher print and bed temps, I thought an enclosure would help keep everything normalized and happy. I could see how a 23C room temp draft could pop the print free, or cause a portion of a layer to print cold or something.

I'll admit it gets pretty warm in this thing though. I'm not sure it was the best move or not. I'm slightly worried about overheating my power supply, but I do relatively small prints and I've read success stories where people don't relocate the power supplies.

Either way, if I keep struggling with PETG, I'll probably end up nixing the enclosure altogether and go back to when life was simple with PLA, haha.

I'm curious to see what you think of the new filament if you decide to give it a shot. I've only used Hatchbox products so far. Their PLA printed awesome. This PETG is tough, but I imagine that's just the nature of the material itself.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

IT HAPPENED

I saw that Gramps got his EMAX installed, which motivated me to grab my rig and go for a little evening crawl.

All was well until I did the very non-scale act of shimmying the steering to get the truck to settle into a line. The servo glitched, swung left as hard as possible, broke my drag link, and wedged the steering horn against my front crossmember.

I couldn’t move it while it had power. It was fully locked.

Unplugged the battery, moved it back to center by hand, and it seems to be working again. Took the pic after re-centering.

I had a fresh charge on the battery and I was maybe 5 minutes into the crawl session. Bummer.

In other news, I decided to abandon PETG. I got it to start printing pretty well, but I must be having an issue with layer adhesion or something because my parts are oddly weak regardless of print temp. Swapped back to my partial spool of PLA and I’m back to printing like a boss. Running a print now that will likely exhaust this spool, but I have a replacement on order due to arrive Friday. I’ll stick with PLA and live with its limitations. It’s all for fun anyways.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Bummer I’ve had the Emax on the C10 jam left but it generally happened after a hit. Powering down the rx &vtx then powering back on would center it. Never as bad as yours though. Is that a genuine Emax or the 4 for $20 like mine? Was that a stock link or a 3D printed one?

I’m not a big fan of PETG had about the same luck with it. I looked into the Filacube HTPLA Plus & the reviews on it weren’t very good. Enough to scare me away. They do have another one called PLA2 which is suppose to be like ABS but prints like PLA. It had good reviews so I’m going to give it a try.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

This was a 4 for $20 unit pushing a 3D printed steering link. I knew the drag link would be the weak link in the system (the wall thickness around the joint is very thin), so I'm not too concerned with the failure. I'll print another one and rock out.

What does concern me is the unreliability of the servo. I'll keep using it for a while, but if this becomes a regular occurrence I'll have to swap it out for something different.

I mostly wanted to try PETG for it's temperature resistance, but living in the midwest, super high temps aren't much of a concern. A hot car interior is probably the only thing I'd have to really be cognizant of. PLA should work well for most applications.

HTPLA had my interest for a while, but I don't like the added annealing step. I should look into some PLA+ offerings to see if they can convince me to move away from traditional PLA.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #89
Rock Crawler

I've been using eSun Pla+ which is also sold as Inland PLA+ sold by Micro Centr
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #90
Rock Stacker

My EMax servos were the 4/$20. All glitched or failed.

The MG90S has been flawless in 4 trucks and seems stronger than the EMax.
Currently 6/$20, sometimes less.
Seamuing 6Pcs MG90S Micro Servo 9G Servo Motor Metal Geared Micro Servo Motor 9G Smart Robot Car Helicopter Plane Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7VJQL5..._IlAKFb3QC587N
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #91
Pebble Pounder

I'd recommend trying Taulman 910 Nylon, its very strong and resilient, and doesn't need much more heat than PETG. Its slipperier than PLA which seems like it would be advantageous for links.
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Nylon would definitely be an awesome material, but I think I'll stay away from that (and ABS) due to the toxic emissions. I don't want to get too crazy with a filtering system, nor do I want my family breathing that stuff all of the time.

The multiple servo packs make me indecisive. I found issues with my current one, but I also have 3 more I can try. Do I shorten their cables, install them, and give them a whirl or just bite the bullet and try the MG90S as the EMAX has a reputation for glitching? If I do the latter, I'll have 9 micro servos sitting around without a home, haha.

If these were sold individually for 5 bucks I'd just buy the MG90S without question and toss this EMAX in the dumpster. Since I spent money on them and have them on hand, I feel obligated to go through my collection until all of them eventually fail me.

Last edited by Bray D; 10-22-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Here ya go you can buy 1,2,5,10 1 was 4.97
Old 10-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Heck yes! Thanks for doing the legwork Gramps. That’s likely what I’ll do if I decide to make the change.

In the meantime, I had the fab shop (3D printer) build me a new drag link.

Threw it on there and did some crawling with the same servo. Seems to be working fine. I’ll keep running it until it really drives me mad.

I found some fun new lines tonight. I’m learning the ways of the white rock.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

I’m back to working on the 1:1 shop infrastructure, so the rock garden has to go away for a while. Here’s an aerial pic in remembrance of good times. It was a fun course.

I was able to get all of the rock into one wheelbarrow load, so that’s a decent reference of how much material is there.

Without a place to play, I shifted my focus to modding the rig. Brass diff covers are back in stock so I threw those on the front / rear, then started experimenting with different cage designs.

It’s difficult to FDM print a cage, but I’m having success. Here’s my progression thus far.

Proof of concept, final design, final design printed in another orientation.

There’s a very good chance that this will change in the near future, but I’m liking the cab cage look right now.

I also printed some new boat sides with the addition of a slider rail. Mostly a cosmetic mod, but I like it.

Stability seems good with the additional brass, however I’ve had very little time to test. Hoping to redistribute my rocks soon so I can get back to it.

Last edited by Bray D; 10-30-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:42 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

I like the new cage & it should have come with the boat sliders, my SCX10 Deadbolt has them. To bad the 1:1 reclaimed the crawling space. Time to expand the garage. :-)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

I’ve been doing some serious pillow climbing. The more I drive it the more I like the smaller cage. I think I’m subconsciously turning it into my 1:1 crawler (single cab Ranger).

It would definitely benefit from an overdrive front axle or dig. Noticeable improvement with just the brass covers though. It’ll clean some pretty steep lines.

I had to move the rocks because this IS the expansion. I’m finishing the interior in my 60x40. I’m sure I’ll find a place to put some rocks when it’s done.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
reclaimed the crawling space. Time to expand the garage. :-)

My 2 SCX24's have to remain hidden, since one is a Christmas gift for my wife (who got me in to crawling)
But I DID buy a 4x8 sheet of foam board and some craft foam to make a transportable indoor course.
I will probably cut the board down to 4x6 for easier transport.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
It would definitely benefit from an overdrive front axle or dig. .

Did you see my post on this?
SCX24 with Dig
by using 2 motors and ESCs, you can easily do dig. But rather than rear dig, drive and front dig, I think I will mix it so I have Front overdrive, drive and rear dig.

This does require a transmitter that has a 3 position aux channel. I might go with one of the dials on my FS GT5. Center is drive, turning the dial left adds more overdrive. And anything to the right stops the rear axle for dig.
Oh, the route I am planning on going also requires a receiver with a PPM signal.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
Did you see my post on this?
Yep. Check post 7 in your thread.

We have the same Tx so I’m waiting to see how everything comes together for you.

SCX 24 - Layer by Layer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color backing and layer - for a newbie Jboucher Paint and Body 20 01-03-2018 12:16 PM
Rolands Winter project scx build..Scx trophy truck ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 20 03-10-2016 01:21 PM