Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

It's been a while since I've made a proper build thread. I picked up an Axial SCX 24 this past weekend and it's shaping up to be the perfect test bed for a pretty extreme build.

After seeing the relatively small aftermarket offering for these rigs, I decided to splurge on a 3D printer (Creality Ender 3 V2). I plan to flex the capabilities of FDM printing as I work through various build iterations. I have no idea where this will ultimately lead, but I love building and having the ability to make parts on the fly is going to be awesome. Being able to test and tune in my living room is pretty solid too, haha.

Anyways, on to the build!

Next to my 2.2 Creeper

This thing is tiny

And the machine that will be doing all of the labor

Last edited by Bray D; 10-15-2020 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Pic fix
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I started by playing with the printer and getting the slicer settings dialed in pretty good. I made a filament guide, tolerance test block, Benchy, etc. The machine met all of my expectations. I think it'll be pretty solid.

Then I moved on to actual parts. I'm more-so a fan of performance rather than scale accuracy, so the first thing to address was the tires. I opt'd for the RC4WD Scramblers for their size and rubber compound. Looks like they'll conform pretty well under the light rig. Unfortunately the stock tires are glued to the wheels, so I needed to print some new wheels for the Scramblers.

15mm wide. 0mm offset. Two piece double beadlock. I just modeled it based on my size requirements, then added some features until I liked the way they looked. I plan to machine some brass for the internal locking sleeve to add some weight while I'm at it.

Fits the tire pretty well. I need to print 3 more then I can mount them up for good.

I also printed a straight cage bar to replace the baja style lights up top.

Aaaaand a couple pics showing the test fit for the Scramblers. Part of me wants to print the wheels with more offset to make it wider, but I think I'll roll with it at the current width for now to see how I like it. 0 offset will make the steering happy, and with the wider wheel it'll be slightly wider than stock anyways.

That's where I'm at right now. Finishing the wheels is on the immediate list, and I'd like to start experimenting with printing full cages to see how that goes. This massive cage has to go!

Last edited by Bray D; 10-16-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Pic fix
Old 09-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

Sounds interesting, but none of your pictures seem to be working

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Sounds interesting, but none of your pictures seem to be working
Uh oh. I pulled them from my Google Photo location. It's likely a private album so no one can see it.

I'll fix that pronto.

Edit: So many hosting issues today. I think that should work. Let me know if they're still broken.

Last edited by Bray D; 09-08-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

They work now!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #6

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zjcrazy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Good deal. Quick update to put us back on track -

I machined the lock sleeves tonight and learned a thing or two about wheel / tire design. Turns out my lock sleeves are too narrow, but rather than machining replacements I've decided to print narrower wheels. I have a 13mm version printing beside me as I type. Sticking with 0mm offset. We'll see how they look when they're done.

I had some leaded bronze stock on hand, so that's going in the front. I made some thinner steel sleeves for the rear. I have no idea if this is too much weight, but I may as well try it and see how it does. I'm used to my 1:10 rig that literally weighs 10 times this thing, haha.

Last edited by Bray D; 10-16-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The 13mm test wheel turned out great. I increased the flange diameter a bit compared to the previous one, and it obviously only has 13mm flange to flange opposed to 15mm. It squeezes the tire a bit more when assembled, but I'm cool with skinnies.

13mm vs 15mm

13mm assembly

With a successful prototype, I went ahead and printed a full set (with slightly more hex engagement).

Last edited by Bray D; 10-16-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

They all assembled well and look great. They added significant weight too, though it doesn’t feel too extreme.

I’m diggin’ the width with 0 offset. No immediate desire to change anything with the wheels.

I will, however, have to do some body chopping or push the axle forward as I have some interference with the tires. I have essentially a 90 degree approach right now without the bumper, so there’s not really a functional need to push the front end out. I feel like the wheelbase is pretty long as-is too.

I’ll probably have to get out the sawzall.

The steering servo and motor are pretty weak with the bigger tires and added weight. That needs remedied ASAP.

I’m familiar with the EMAX servos. What motors are people swapping into these little guys?

Last edited by Bray D; 09-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like where this is going. 3D printer + Lathe seems like a very powerful combo.

Good choice not going for a wider offset, steering is terrible enough as it is.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ecx barrage motor works well. You could drop in a sidewinder micro and run a small brushless. Just beware things will break. Throttle control is a must. I tried it, it was fun, but after breaking a few driveshafts and a axle I switched back to the barrage motor. As far as the steering replace the rear axle with a front one and go with 4ws.

PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I like where this is going. 3D printer + Lathe seems like a very powerful combo.

Good choice not going for a wider offset, steering is terrible enough as it is.

I’m a tool junkie. I typically jump at the chance to increase my shop capabilities, as seen by the 3D printer purchase for this build, haha. I also have a small mill that comes in handy pretty often.

The stock steering is certainly lacking. I’ll do my research and put an adequate servo on it. Either way, I really like the stance right now.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
Ecx barrage motor works well. You could drop in a sidewinder micro and run a small brushless. Just beware things will break. Throttle control is a must. I tried it, it was fun, but after breaking a few driveshafts and a axle I switched back to the barrage motor. As far as the steering replace the rear axle with a front one and go with 4ws.

Nice. I’ll look into the barrage motor. I have no real desire to go brushless, but I do plan to eventually run a separate receiver and ESC so I can use my nicer transmitter (for what that’s worth).

I’m very much a low speed technical driver, so hopefully I can keep the mechanicals alive. It needs to be able to pull itself through obstacles though, haha.

The only wheel speed requirement for my 1:10 is that it’s fast enough to throttle out of a roll. A similar requirement would be nice for this one, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I have to slow it down further to get the torque and modulation I want.

The 4ws setup looks legit. My 1:10 is setup with 4ws and I’m not sure if I’ll go that direction with this build or not. I’ll keep building and driving and we’ll see where the journey leads!

While I’m still playing with the tires, I figured I’d vent them and cut the foams.

I had no plans when it came to the foam, but I hacked them up pretty good. It’s hard to tell, but I cut 8 radial sipes in them and 1 circumferential sipe around the OD. All of those cuts run to a depth that’s approximately 1/2 of the foam thickness.

It’s still not as soft as I’d like, but it’s starting to squat a little when fully flexed.

Driver front at full compression causing the passenger rear to squat:

At rest:

Old 09-10-2020, 03:45 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I tried brushless just to see if I could do it. While it was fun, it was just to much.

I did keep the sidewinder micro (programmed to run brushed motors) mounted it under the battery tray. Fits perfectly. Mounted my receiver in the stock location.

PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
I tried brushless just to see if I could do it. While it was fun, it was just to much.

I did keep the sidewinder micro (programmed to run brushed motors) mounted it under the battery tray. Fits perfectly. Mounted my receiver in the stock location.
Good to know. Research shows that the Barrage motor is a pretty popular swap and motors are super cheap. I may end up going that route.

I just ordered a receiver so I can use my GT5 transmitter. I need to decide on an ESC and get that on order as well. Once I have that swapped over, I can see how it influences performance and go from there.

Edit: Sidewinder Micro 2 and Barrage motor are on their way. I'll likely toss the motor in it before I do the ESC swap as it'll get here sooner and it'll be good for science.

Last edited by Bray D; 09-10-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

On tonight’s edition of ‘3D printing FTW’ you’ll find Bray’s whiskey fueled implementation of a steering solution.

I modeled this solely on intuition and printed it fully expecting to have to make another after I learned something about the spherical bolt fit. I was pleasantly surprised when everything snapped together beautifully.

20% infill PLA. I was worried about it’s strength, but after seeing how much force was required to set the TRE’s, I have much more confidence. If it fails, I’ll print with 100% infill. If that breaks I’ll experiment with PETG.

Maximized drag link length and threaded it vertically into the tie rod. Plenty of clearance for the diff and no more floppy steering.

Old

New

Last edited by Bray D; 09-11-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks good will be interesting to see how well it holds up. If you want to strengthen it more you can anneal it. This is how I do it Annealing PLA - Gramps Ramblings
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice. I didn't know annealing plastic was possible! I learned something today.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Just keep in mind the dimensions will change and some parts will warp a fair bit. CNC kitchen on Youtube has some good video's on Annealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOzVuoBP9gY
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thats pretty cool... would you mind sharing the STLs for the linkage?
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX 24 - Layer by Layer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color backing and layer - for a newbie Jboucher Paint and Body 20 01-03-2018 12:16 PM
Rolands Winter project scx build..Scx trophy truck ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 20 03-10-2016 01:21 PM