Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Vent or Not to Vent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question SCX24 Vent or Not to Vent

I know that the stock wheels & tire combo on a SCX24 are vented with 2 small holes in each wheel.

When buying after market wheels such as the 1.0 RC4WD beadlocks they come unvented. When you put the tires on a beadlock wheel you trap some air in the tire. My thought is that this somewhat negates the foam.

What are your thoughts on venting the 1.0 tires/wheels on these small scale trucks?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX24 Vent or Not to Vent

I'm in the pro-vent camp. I prefer to tune with foam rather than deal with the uncertainty of air pressure with a sealed tire.

Mine are vented with the CI soft micro foams. They conform pretty well.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Largely, it depends on how your tires behave for you.

For my SCX24, I only have stock tires and wheels.
No added weight yet. The LHS will have them before Christmas. And since this is the companion to the gift scx24 for my wife, it has to hide until then.
I do not see as much conforming to the edges of obstacles as I like.
If I had beadlocks, I am pretty sure I would vent.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

I just got a set of 1.0 stamped steel wheels and Patagonia's. I assembled them and the do seem a bit ballonish. I'm new to beadlocks and crawling in general. What is the best way to vent these? Drill a hole through the outer wheel or both the outer wheel and inner ring and try to keep them aligned? Maybe put a hole in the tire?
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
I just got a set of 1.0 stamped steel wheels and Patagonia's. I assembled them and the do seem a bit ballonish. I'm new to beadlocks and crawling in general. What is the best way to vent these? Drill a hole through the outer wheel or both the outer wheel and inner ring and try to keep them aligned? Maybe put a hole in the tire?

I vent one set of the RC4WD 1.0 steel wheels by drilling 2 holes on the base wheel opposite each other. I then drilled 2 holes opposite each other in the inter ring. When I put the wheel back together I really didn't worry about aligning the holes.

The 1.0 tires are much thinner than their 1/10 big brothers so I don't think that venting the 1.0 tires is a good idea.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I've actually found that the 1/24 crawlers are so lightweight that I've been venting the tires and removing the foams to decent tread compliance.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I just don't see how a rig that light would really benefit from venting. No foams yes, but I have to put some pretty good pressure on my tires to 'squeeze the air out' and I just don't see that happening on a flyweight setup. They hardly have enough weight to fold a tire, let alone push all of the air out. Just my noob .02 based on bench testing
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My tires fold up pretty good and my rig isn't weighted down like crazy either. Vented tire with CI soft foams.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #9

Well I did end up venting the barrel. While I had them apart I trimmed the outer foam edges. Once re-assembled they do seem more compliant. Of course I'm not sure if that was due to the venting or trimming the foam, doh!
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I trimmed the outer corners of my foams too, after printing vented wheels, and it has much more sidewall bite.
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I ran rock creepers no foams no venting on 1" stamped wheels. Worked pretty well. I moved the tired over to another set of stamped wheels with vents and added CI soft foams and I would say the performance is about identical. Upshot of the foams is I don't have to worry about springing a leak and I can further tune with trimming should I decide I need to. Venting the tires does not work. I experimented with the stockers because I through in the machete wheel weights blocking the vents the hole you have to cut in the tire to actually get venting is just to big better to just drill the wheel (of wheel weight in this particular case.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
Venting the tires does not work.
My tires are vented and work beautifully. I heated a piece of TIG rod and punched it through my tires. You can see the hole in the center of the driver's side front in the pic where it's climbing. I did 4 holes per tire.

Just wanted to clarify in case someone didn't want to put a hole in their fancy wheels. I'm sure vented wheels work just as well.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I did not think of using a heated rod just drills and razorblades for me lol.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOverThere View Post
I did not think of using a heated rod just drills and razorblades for me lol.

I have heard of people using hole punches like used in leather craft to punch holes in tires. I have tried drilling without much success. Have not tried the hole punch yet. Have one just don't know it's location off hand.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I have heard of people using hole punches like used in leather craft to punch holes in tires. I have tried drilling without much success. Have not tried the hole punch yet. Have one just don't know it's location off hand.
A leather punch would be ideal and I considered buying one just for venting tires. It would definitely make a clean cut. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet though.

I spent about 5 seconds with a drill before deciding that was a bad idea, haha. A smokin' hot piece of rod/wire works pretty well.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

For the Micros the leather punch may not go small enough. The cheap one i got from harbor freight to vent 2.2s and 1.9s i used the smallest punch and its 5/64

For the scx24 i havent vented my RC4WD tires/wheels yet, want to run it first. But if I do vent i was going to use a lighter and heat up a paper clip to punch holes similar to what Bray D did with the TIG welding rod
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 Vent or Not to Vent - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Weights block air vent in Wheels (SCX24) definitivecars Micro Scale Rigs 4 07-18-2020 02:16 PM
SandPaws in snow, sand, and water. Tape? Vent or no vent? fizzx Tires and Wheels 3 01-05-2014 01:18 AM
Vent HBs or vent the rims or both? boisetrucker Tires and Wheels 10 12-27-2009 05:58 PM
Poll: To vent, or not to vent... that is the question... Katon Newbie General 20 12-23-2009 10:29 AM
New Tires... To vent, or not to vent??? sportpak Newbie General 27 05-08-2008 01:13 PM