Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 fender rub...upgrades/lift options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #1

Default SCX24 fender rub...upgrades/lift options

Hello all,

First post here. I recently purchased a SCX24 with the Chevy C10 body. It is my first RC car in probably 20 years. I honestly purchased it because I am too scared to take my brand new truck off-roading, so I figured why not do it with an RC car in the comfort of my living room lol.

Anyway, I am experiencing heavy rubbing in the front fender area when turning, which I am reading is a common issue with the C10 versions. The suspension coil springs also seem on the very soft side and seem to almost be halfway compressed from only the weight of the truck itself.

I am wondering what options I have to eliminate the fender rub? I am looking to start by purchasing a set of Hot Racing shocks, but I'm not sure if this will help to lift my truck a bit? Or, do I I have to trim the wheel wells no matter what?

Looking forward to being a member here!

Thanks
MicroZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX24 fender rub...upgrades/lift options

grab yourself some lexan scissors and trim the body up a bit

welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy the little 24, they're fun trucks
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have a C10 too and have not trimmed the body. I would take the shocks off, remove the springs and stretch them to almost twice their length. When putting the shocks back together put a dab of heavy grease in the chamber. This will take some of the bounce out of it. You can also mount the shocks upside down, this will help keep the grease from coming out of the shocks over time.

You can also move the upper mounting point from the shock mount to the frame.

Another option is to raise the body a bit. The front mounts are adjustable, the rear is a little more complicated but can be done.

Smaller tires would also help with rubbing.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

I added grease and mounted upside down as Gramps mentioned.

However, instead of stretching the spring out, I added an o-ring between the shock collar and the shock body. This is the same as adding preload spacers which raises the body height without changing the spring rate.
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
I added grease and mounted upside down as Gramps mentioned.

However, instead of stretching the spring out, I added an o-ring between the shock collar and the shock body. This is the same as adding preload spacers which raises the body height without changing the spring rate.
Interested in this mod. Not sure I'm following. Do you have a quick photo by chance?

Thx.....
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Move the shock mounting points to the frame.
Adding grease for damping helps performance.
I actually prefer a lot of sag in the suspension, to the point I run one of my trucks without springs.
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

You will have rub with most any body under articulation. You may also find that "lifting" your crawler may not be optimal for performance. I personally have relocated the upper mounting points and run a full droop setup.
TomTom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #8

I've got this issue too. What I really want to fix it is a body lift. Like, can someone 3d print a new rear hinge, or a way to lift the body without messing with the suspension?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
KD0FRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

You could order some extra body mounts and use them in the back & eliminate the hinge. The one for the Jeep only uses one pin. If you don't want to put holes in the bed magnets could be used.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. I am getting rubbing, even while turning on flat level ground...only when turning left and not right. I think my body isn't sitting entirely square. Maybe one corner of my suspension is sagging a bit more than the other.

Anyway, I ended up ordering some Hot Racing shocks cause I wanna try to keep it simple, plus I like how they are an aluminum upgrade. I was gonna install them until I realized I don't have a 4mm socket driver. Can anyone recommend me a basic but comprehensive tool kit? That way I can buy it once and for all.

I can see how the front body mount posts are adjustable and I can move them higher a little...but what about the rears? Or should I just move my rear shock mounts to the frame?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroZR2 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am getting rubbing, even while turning on flat level ground...only when turning left and not right
That’s the problem I had. Try turning with the truck belly up and see if the axle gets sucked into the fender, it might be something is binding somewhere and instead of the wheels turning the whole axle is turning. I took it apart and built it again and the problem was gone, I suspect the problem was the wheels too tight, at least in my case
MizuNoLorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't have a 4mm socket driver. Can anyone recommend me a basic but comprehensive tool kit? That way I can buy it once and for all
Traxxas tool kit. It's $25, and although I'm not a fan of buying kits with phillips/flathead bits, these tools are pretty good and will last a while. Ive bought two of these in the past 4 years, and the only reason I bought a second one was because I sold it with my last RC since I was got out of the hobby, not because it broke. I had both for around 2 years and nothing is/was chipped or stripped. It has everything you'll need for a while. i use these daily along side my Team Integy QuickPit set which is good so far.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra3415/p780997

No matter what you do, DO NOT get the Dynamite version of this. Its the exact same kit rebranded as Dynamite, but the handle where the bit slides in is shitty. I broke it the first screw i tried to take out. Or maybe my heavy handed self was too hard on it? Either way, dont get em!

Sorry for the long post lol
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hello all,

First post here. I recently purchased a SCX24 with the Chevy C10 body. It is my first RC car in probably 20 years. I honestly purchased it because I am too scared to take my brand new truck off-roading, so I figured why not do it with an RC car in the comfort of my living room lol.

Anyway, I am experiencing heavy rubbing in the front fender area when turning, which I am reading is a common issue with the C10 versions. The suspension coil springs also seem on the very soft side and seem to almost be halfway compressed from only the weight of the truck itself.

I am wondering what options I have to eliminate the fender rub? I am looking to start by purchasing a set of Hot Racing shocks, but I'm not sure if this will help to lift my truck a bit? Or, do I I have to trim the wheel wells no matter what?

Looking forward to being a member here!

Thanks
I have a jeep that after some time the rear springs started to sag. I installed a set of hot racing shocks and it made a huge difference. 2 sets of springs to change between for soft and hard rates. Took all my sag out even sat 2oz of weight on the back and it didn't lower at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mitch.douglas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #14

I'll definitely look into the Traxxas tool set! So, just earlier today I was looking at my truck and I noticed that I was able to route the small hex tool through the spokes of the wheel to get to the lower shock mounts. I was able to remove the stock shocks and replace them with my Hot Racing set.

I also switched the springs out to use the black/lighter springs and it seems to be much of an improvement over stock. My body how sits a little higher since the suspension is not longer sagging quite as much as stock. The black springs seem to be just a TAD bit firmer than stock. Pretty pleased with them so far.

Of course my wheels are no longer rubbing on the edges of the fender, too.

Last edited by MicroZR2; 12-02-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I just ended up getting this mac 1/8" driver set. Alittle pricey but lifetime warranty on all the bits and the last driver set I had the common sizes got worn out after just a few projects. Also my jeep above, I ended up staggering the spring rates keeping the soft in the front and harder in the rear and it helps alot. The silver springs with stock or minor added weight are too much and the truck just bounces around and doesn't really compress the suspension. The black springs allow compression and still hold up the body weight. I guess playing around and changing based on your driving style and preference will be the key

Old 12-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #16

That's a cool tool set...I might look into that one too, although I am looking for something in a small package since I live in an apartment and already have boxes and bags of tools for all my other hobbies.

Quick question about the Hot Racing shocks...I noticed that the eyelets on them are not the same front to back, and one side is flat whereas the other side is more countersunk, presumably to be form fitting against the head of screws. I installed all four of them like that (screwing it in through the concave side), but this means that my fake reservoirs are not all facing the direction and the shocks are not symmetrical left/right on the car. Is this ok? does it matter? what do most people do?

I'm also thinking ahead about what my next mod should be. Should it be weights and/or new wheels and tires? I also noticed that many people upgrade to the emax servo but i'm wondering why. The stock servo seems plenty strong and responsive, or does it start to really become a dog with larger and/or heavier wheel setups?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX24 fender rub...upgrades/lift options

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch.douglas21 View Post
I just ended up getting this mac 1/8" driver set. Alittle pricey but lifetime warranty on all the bits and the last driver set I had the common sizes got worn out after just a few projects. Also my jeep above, I ended up staggering the spring rates keeping the soft in the front and harder in the rear and it helps alot. The silver springs with stock or minor added weight are too much and the truck just bounces around and doesn't really compress the suspension. The black springs allow compression and still hold up the body weight. I guess playing around and changing based on your driving style and preference will be the key

Ohhh nice! I need that tool set!

I’d trade in all my tools for that lmao!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Interested in this mod. Not sure I'm following. Do you have a quick photo by chance?

Thx.....

Note the red o-rings that lift the body by the thickness of the o-ring.

Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That's a cool tool set...I might look into that one too, although I am looking for something in a small package since I live in an apartment and already have boxes and bags of tools for all my other hobbies.

Quick question about the Hot Racing shocks...I noticed that the eyelets on them are not the same front to back, and one side is flat whereas the other side is more countersunk, presumably to be form fitting against the head of screws. I installed all four of them like that (screwing it in through the concave side), but this means that my fake reservoirs are not all facing the direction and the shocks are not symmetrical left/right on the car. Is this ok? does it matter? what do most people do?

I'm also thinking ahead about what my next mod should be. Should it be weights and/or new wheels and tires? I also noticed that many people upgrade to the emax servo but i'm wondering why. The stock servo seems plenty strong and responsive, or does it start to really become a dog with larger and/or heavier wheel setups?

Thanks
It's not a huge box for the tool kit, I'm in an apartment as well and just have a desk set up as my rc work station lol.

As for the HR shocks, the eyelets are actually removable and can be flipped around very easily. I mounted my reservoirs upside-down, it helped with my stock set and I'm just testing it out as of now, so far it's working out. I need to add weight to the axle though. But my reason for placing the flat side out against the screw head is incase something wedges against my shock it won't press it off the eyelet and cause me to loose the tiny rubber o-rings because I'm not sure I can get replacement ones at this time.

Adding weight at the servo helped me out alot, I plan on getting weighted hubs and diff covers, wheel weights , steel beadlocks and heavier tires. I haven't run into a servo issue yet but I have come into an issue I'm not sure weather it's esc or motor but it's difficult to keep a smooth accel to get over rocks. If I'm on the "high speed" setting once the tq starts it sends the truck flying over the obstacles, on medium I have to really bump and jerk it around but even still it tries to fly over after the front wheels get up, and on slow it's not enough to get the wheels up. Not sure if tires will change this or weighing it down will help, either way it's happening and I'll see from there haha

Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here is a tool set that I got for the scx24. Ifixit mako set. It also works great for almost any small electronics stuff even works great for the scx10 i have. Not too bad for 30 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 fender rub...upgrades/lift options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inner fender options? SledgehogRC Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 29 06-13-2020 06:18 AM
Scx24 Wheel Options? grey_goat Micro Scale Rigs 3 05-18-2020 04:19 AM
Scx24 Front Overdrive Options? TheCourier Micro Scale Rigs 9 04-29-2020 04:49 PM
G6 Body and Tube/inner fender options adonis_mp Axial SCX-10 2 07-20-2015 02:54 PM