Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Brand new scx24 c10 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #1

Default Brand new scx24 c10 problem

Hi all, newb here. I treated myself to a scx24 and out of the box it has a steering problem.
if I turn right something binds and the truck twists left. Looking at the truck belly up I noticed that the driveshaft stops rotating at low throttle when slightly turning right, it starts again with more right steering, or with more throttle(although you can hear it straining). No problem with no steering or left steering inputs.
Tried removing the wheels, it helps, but occasionally it binds anyway, I tried swapping them, same problem. I then tried looking at the axle shafts, following some suggestions in some other thread, I couldn’t see anything wrong, swapped the left with the right one just to be sure and nothing changed.
This is my first rc car and I’m way out of my depth here. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I’m not too familiar with the jargon, I’m just getting into surface rc, and as for real size cars, other then drive them, I can barely tell a wheel for a door handle
Thanks in advance for any help!
MizuNoLorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Brand new scx24 c10 problem

Sounds to me like you need to try and exchange it where you bought it or contact Horizon Hobby for warranty exchange.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

Double check the pins at the dogbone. I believe one or two members here have had the pins slip out a bit and bind inside the c-hub.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
Double check the pins at the dogbone. I believe one or two members here have had the pins slip out a bit and bind inside the c-hub.
Thanks for the suggestion! I read that thread and I did in fact check. They don’t move and they don’t seem tu rub on the cup. I even swapped them to see if the problem would change side, but now that I think about it if something binds somewhere around the front the axle would still spin in the same direction, I imagine is the direction the front driveshaft turns. I’ll try removing the axles and spinning and the transmission to see if I can isolate the problem to a major area.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Sounds to me like you need to try and exchange it where you bought it or contact Horizon Hobby for warranty exchange.
Yeah, I’m waiting for their response, I just thought I would mess around a bit and learn something in the process, seems like half the fun is messing with these things anyway!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizuNoLorien View Post
Yeah, I’m waiting for their response, I just thought I would mess around a bit and learn something in the process, seems like half the fun is messing with these things anyway!

Nothing wrong with trying to figure it out. Makes a good learning experience.

Just had a thought, is the front driveshaft out of phase?
Old 11-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Just had a thought, is the front driveshaft out of phase?
I thought about that, but I cannot figure out the correct configuration from the manual. From the exploded views it seems like the two joints might be 90 degrees from one another, but I’m not sure. Is there a general rule, or it varies from model to model? Anyone with a picture of how it should’ be?

Edit: from the link seems like they would be aligned. I’ll try that. Is it the same for the rear driveshaft too?

Last edited by MizuNoLorien; 11-28-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I thought about that, but I cannot figure out the correct configuration from the manual. From the exploded views it seems like the two joints might be 90 degrees from one another, but I’m not sure. Is there a general rule, or it varies from model to model? Anyone with a picture of how it should’ be?

Edit: from the link seems like they would be aligned. I’ll try that. Is it the same for the rear driveshaft too?

The picture in the link is actually an axle shaft but it the same for driveshafts. All driveshafts should be in phase. This might make it clearer
Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
The picture in the link is actually an axle shaft but it the same for driveshafts. All driveshafts should be in phase. This might make it clearer
Ok, I did all that, tested the drivetrain parts when separated and it seems there is no binding. Mounting the wheels back on I noticed that tightening them too much caused the front axle to show resistance to spin, so I guess that was the problem. i find it strange, no part of the wheel was touching anything other that the hex thingy, at least not as far as I could tell. I hope they don’t fly off
Anyway while I was happily noticing that the problem was gone, the stock servo decided to die. I guess I stripped the gears while tightening the servo horn.
Emax servo coming in the next few days.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

First off happy to hear that you got your problem solved. Don't know why but you can't tighten the wheel nuts down tight like on a 1/10 scale. I tighten mine till the nut bottoms and then quit. Haven't lost a wheel yet.

On my Jeep the servo crapped out the 2nd time I ran it. Horizon sent me a new one and I put a Emax in instead. FYI I and others have had the Emax make a hard right or left turn and stop and not return. Power off the truck & transmitter. Turn both back on wheels will center and you can continue. Think it has happened only 3 times for me on 2 vehicles. I bought mine in a 4 pack so it's possible they are knockoffs.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
First off happy to hear that you got your problem solved. Don't know why but you can't tighten the wheel nuts down tight like on a 1/10 scale. I tighten mine till the nut bottoms and then quit. Haven't lost a wheel yet.

On my Jeep the servo crapped out the 2nd time I ran it. Horizon sent me a new one and I put a Emax in instead. FYI I and others have had the Emax make a hard right or left turn and stop and not return. Power off the truck & transmitter. Turn both back on wheels will center and you can continue. Think it has happened only 3 times for me on 2 vehicles. I bought mine in a 4 pack so it's possible they are knockoffs.
Yeah, I opened the stock servo and a couple of gears were stripped beyond recognition. Surely my fault but I can’t see it lasting long even with proper care.
Thanks for the support!
Old 11-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought mine in a 4 pack so it's possible they are knockoffs.
Mine came today and it’s definitely a knock off, came in a plastic bag with no packaging.
I guess it’ll have to do for now, gotta stop using Amazon for this stuff.
I also bought a servo extender and moved the leds to the headlights from the bumper. Looks cool.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Mine came today and it’s definitely a knock off, came in a plastic bag with no packaging.
I guess it’ll have to do for now, gotta stop using Amazon for this stuff.
I also bought a servo extender and moved the leds to the headlights from the bumper. Looks cool.

That's where I got my 4 pack too. I opened mine up and shortened the leads. Pretty easy with a small tip iron. Even if it's a knockoff still better than the stock servo which is junk.

Brand new scx24 c10 problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C10 SCX24 in the woods waqr Videos! 0 05-23-2020 11:40 PM
SCX24 C10 Body DJJorel Micro Scale Rigs 3 05-20-2020 05:49 PM
Axial SCX24 C10 on the rocks waqr Videos! 0 05-11-2020 11:38 PM
Scx24 C10 First run Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 6 05-02-2020 12:36 AM
Scx24 c10 JMHZ2401 Micro Scale Rigs 0 04-03-2020 08:04 PM