Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: REDDOTRC SCX24 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default REDDOTRC SCX24 Build

Going to be doing alot to this over the winter months, might as well get it all listed and documented incase someone else needs ideas/help as well. Plan is to keep it a reliable scale rock crawler, starting out as a Jeep JLU SCX24.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mitch.douglas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: REDDOTRC SCX24 Build

Added some paint to the tire lettering, and the led lights to dim them down some. Found out the hard way that they are really bright and while crawling indoors on a table they tend to shine directly into your eyes so little bit of paint still keeps the lights operational, but it won't kill your eyes looking right into them.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Indoor rock course made, with trail markers added. Built a 3pc box set up that fits across my dining room table with some plywood and 1x4" boards. Painted, and added felt tape to the bottom to prevent scratching the table up. And with a big storage bin full of rocks from a construction site I'll have enough to keep changing it up

Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Before and after installing a set of hot racing shocks. I ended up leaving the silver springs in the back, added 1oz of weight under the battery tray, and changing the front to the black softer springs at max preload with .75oz weight added on top of the steering servo. The goal of a good amount of articulation is already starting with adding weight and being able to play with spring tensions. Stock they come very bouncy and the has already solved that.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Stance looks way better! I need to do some adjustments to get rid of the bounce. Nice job.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You've got a good start there. Like the box with the rocks course, but I don't think the wife would approve of it being on the dinning room table. You can also put the lights on a switch using the 3rd channel on the tx. I made a switch out of a servo.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
Stance looks way better! I need to do some adjustments to get rid of the bounce. Nice job.
If your using stock shocks, I took about 1/2 the bounce out with flipping them, and adding a touch of grease inside and added an o-ring to preload the spring

Old 12-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
You've got a good start there. Like the box with the rocks course, but I don't think the wife would approve of it being on the dinning room table. You can also put the lights on a switch using the 3rd channel on the tx. I made a switch out of a servo.
Thank you, and she's all good with it, we don't care a whole lot about our table. We paid $10 for it and first tried a black stain but the clear all peeled off, so while painting the boxes I just sanded and painted the table too. I've only been in the hobby a couple years now and slowly learning the methods of getting things to work lol, so the paint works but I may use that 3rd channel for something else. I've never really added on like that so once I figure out what I want on there (possibly a wench) I'll work on figuring it out

Old 12-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Mounted up a 1/20 ford explorer body. May have to re-design the mounts to get the front alittle lower, along with some trimming and self centering but for now it's ok.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I agree it needs to be lowered a little. Wheelbase looks good, that's going to look nice when you get it finished.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I agree it needs to be lowered a little. Wheelbase looks good, that's going to look nice when you get it finished.
Thank you, it atleast sits level with the top of the frame rail at the lowest point but I would like it lower. Body will need some clearancing for the tires but that goes along with the off-road look too.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well, it's the first run since mocking up the ford body and not 5 minutes in my motor gave out. Coincidence, or just typical ford fashion reliability? I bought it new in September, it hasn't seen heavy dirt, or water and has only been run inside. I've noticed it being very laggy on accel to get the initial start up an obstacle and I would have to stab the throttle to wake it up. Ran my friends stock dead bolt and it was a night and day difference with how smooth his was. So this was possibly an issue from new but we'll see, hopefully the motors not back ordered like alot of other things are.

Old 12-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays everyone. Today a new truck got unwrapped and put to work while the other waits on a new motor.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Rc4wd beadlocks and GY wranglers mounted up, have to clearance more and change the springs over. Right now with the large tires and offset it bearly drives a straight flat line before dragging haha

Old 01-13-2021, 04:50 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Shocks relocated and swapped out for hot racing ones with some green slime inside. Gained some chassis lift, and alot of flex. Trimmed up the front bumper just alittle more to keep these tires from rubbing

Old 01-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch.douglas21 View Post
Well, it's the first run since mocking up the ford body and not 5 minutes in my motor gave out. Coincidence, or just typical ford fashion reliability? I bought it new in September, it hasn't seen heavy dirt, or water and has only been run inside. I've noticed it being very laggy on accel to get the initial start up an obstacle and I would have to stab the throttle to wake it up. Ran my friends stock dead bolt and it was a night and day difference with how smooth his was. So this was possibly an issue from new but we'll see, hopefully the motors not back ordered like alot of other things are

Go with the ECX Barrage motor. You'll have to flip polarity and modify your motor mount, but worth it.
TomTom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom24 View Post
Go with the ECX Barrage motor. You'll have to flip polarity and modify your motor mount, but worth it.
I have one of those on order as well. Unfortunately alot is backordered for me

Old 01-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Alittle body update, all mounted just need to do some tire clearanceing.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

That body looks like it was made for it
Old 01-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That body looks like it was made for it
Thank you, it came out really clean like I wanted it to. I'm still in search of some other body's as well like a zj grand cherokee, old square body GM's, and there's a possibility of a dakota body but I'm having a hard time finding any listed for sale. Gonna have to start hitting antique stores for them since they're discontinued models now.

REDDOTRC SCX24 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigworm’s SCX24 Build BIGW0RM Micro Scale Rigs 147 05-28-2021 10:54 AM
My SCX24 MicroShark Build stlbluerubicon Micro Scale Rigs 3 05-11-2020 10:48 AM
SCX24 Specter Build! noel2 Micro Scale Rigs 21 04-30-2020 05:40 PM
SCX24’s for everyone! (My build) [emoji2957] PNWRC Micro Scale Rigs 24 01-20-2020 09:46 AM
SCX24 Toyota build ajdone Micro Scale Rigs 2 07-13-2019 10:18 PM