RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Micro Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Indoor Micro/Mini Course (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/622822-indoor-micro-mini-course.html)

air8 01-05-2021 06:24 AM

Indoor Micro/Mini Course

3 Attachment(s)
I have a few Axial SCX24 rigs and Christmas day I hot glued a bunch of wood and twigs to a 1x6 board. It was great for a few days.

Then I expanded with a scrap piece of plywood that is roughly 16" wide by 36" long. Cut some PVC pipe slices amd hot glued them. Cut some slices off of twigs and stacked and glued them. Then made a stack of PVC pipe pieces that can be rearranged.

air8 01-05-2021 06:30 AM

Re: Indoor Micro/Mini Course

8 Attachment(s)
Then started in on this beast. LOL.
Doesn't look like much, but it is challenging. In fact I had to sort of re-do the top to make it easier for the young ones.
They are still learning throttle control and it is very difficult for them. I'm going to make another but just have it simple ups and downs that are bumpy along the way.

Shape_Shifter 01-05-2021 07:24 AM

Definitely looks challenging!

air8 01-05-2021 10:40 AM

After having the kids test run it again last night, a new one needs to be constructed so they can just drive up and down with minimal steering inputs.

I was way too ambitious with this mountain.
Also I forgot to account for the width of the trucks and had to widen every area of the thing.

2xDeadbolt 01-06-2021 05:36 AM

@air8 what is the white mountain made out of? How are you able to change it?
Looks nice. I need to build something for some inside crawling. Too cold & wet for outside crawling.

air8 01-06-2021 07:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xDeadbolt (Post 6061557)
@air8 what is the white mountain made out of? How are you able to change it?
Looks nice. I need to build something for some inside crawling. Too cold & wet for outside crawling.

I started off with a few cardboard boxes and packing paper that I crumpled into fun shapes.
I used the hot glue to attach cardboard to wood, paper to cardboard, paper to paper, and paper to wood.

Not sure if it makes ANY difference, but I use the hot glue that requires higher temps...I think it's called All Purpose hot glue. I didn't use the low temp stuff which is used for fabrics, foams, and delicates.
So the hot glue is good and strong when it sets up...like the glue will rip chunks off 2x4 studs after setting a few hours.

After getting a rough shape, and what looks like fun angles...I try to picture what the surface would lool like when covered with plaster cloth. The white plaster cloth sets up fairly rigid when left to dry overnight. The plaster cloth is so flexible when wet that you can push, pull, stretch, and shape it really well.

In fact that is where I ran into issues. The cloth shapes so well, I made peaks and crevasses too high and too low for the 1/24 sized trucks.

After the plaster cloth dries I cut cardboard and crumpled more paper to fill the low spots...hot glued them to the plaster cloth.... and recovered with plaster cloth.

air8 01-06-2021 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the top picture above, notice the wild carboard shapes I hot glued onto slanted cardboard. When covered with plaster cloth it makes an awesome looking mountain feature.

In the picture below you can see another feature at the bittom of the pic. Same type of thing. Hot glued a piece of cardboard that had a long curved slope and covered it with plaster cloth. Oh and at the far left of the picture below you can see the angled feature I referenced above.

air8 01-06-2021 07:20 AM

I keep getting distracted. So yea basically hot glue amd cardboard to keep widening the path, cause I accidently made it too narrow, and more of the same to fill in the diff hanger spots simce the little ones don't know yet how to avoid getting them caught.

A little insight...I suggest a 5-inch wide path for the 1/24 scale trucks. That seems to allow some steering and path correction while driving. And try to take into account the wide turning radius the tiny trucks have.

air8 01-06-2021 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm going to severely alter this little mountain...or start from scratch again. After laying down some sanded grout the mountain is still too difficult.

I'm a skilled RC driver having raced nitro off-road and electric indoor off-road for 15 years now. This thing is crazy challenging.

My SCX-24 trucks are bone stock right now so that isn't helping. With some brass added there would be several more places the trucks could climb around. I taped some magnets on to prove that weight helps.

air8 01-06-2021 10:41 PM

I think I will start a new build that is simple for the kiddos. I can take pictures of the process and detail the build if some of you would be interested. For some reasonn I am having fun building small courses and obstacles for these mini trucks. LOL

vinceherman 01-07-2021 04:18 AM

I don't think it is bad t have some undrivable lines.
I think a mix of easy and difficult lines is best to keep it from being boring immediately.
As skill and upgrades permit, the harder lines keep it fresh.
You can even place gates to require that a particular line be used if the easy line becomes used too frequently.

air8 01-07-2021 10:26 AM

I did make flagged gates by putting a drop of hot glue on wax paper waiting for it to cool slightly and sticking a toothpick in till the glue sets.

But I then peeled the glue off the wax paper and I can position the flags anywhere.

air8 01-08-2021 06:49 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Scratch start for a simple course. Wood base is 19"x21". A leftover from a cabinet I built 20 some years ago.

These trucks have lights so might as well put them to use.
This tunnel will be about 12" long. Tunnel height is 5-1/2". Tunnel width is 6".

air8 01-08-2021 06:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Filling in gaps...adding bracing.

air8 01-08-2021 06:56 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Adding features, getting creative.

air8 01-08-2021 07:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Adding bumps to jiggle the trucks around. When covered with plaster cloth there will not be sharp edges for tires to tear apart. It will be just a smooth transition.

air8 01-09-2021 10:34 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Adding more terrain.

air8 01-09-2021 10:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Amd more...

air8 01-09-2021 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Overall look so far....

air8 01-09-2021 10:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Test fit vehicle every step. LoL. I don't want to make this one too difficult for the kiddos.