Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Best ESCs for your Micro-Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best ESCs for your Micro-Trucks

there is a $10 racestar esc or something like that that's 10A from hobby king https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...w-reverse.html The problem is It doesn't come with instant reverse enabled. and the programmer is never on sale.
I hear that you can use any drift car esc because they also use instant reverse.
The mamba micro x is overkill and expensive, the 1060 is too big but everything else about it is good. I would decase and remove the heatsink on the 1060, I would be surprised with how much hobbywing esc's are rebranded it, that it isn't for sale as just a board somewhere.
The thing is you dont need any features with the scx24 because it has worm drive axles drag brake is always going to hold.

Petes/Alka's am32 should be adding a brushed feature soon, then you can use those tiny quad copter esc's with any motor
Im checking to see if I can find some code to run this esc with brushed, But really I would just recommend stepping up to brushless.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Hi,
I have mounted the Modellbau-Regler.de ESCs into the Axial SCX24 and the Panda Hobby Tetra, using stock radios and receiver units.
This is the easiest way to get an unbelievable performance upgrade, works absolutely awsome.

Check the video:

https://youtu.be/7KpxN_xWvo0

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 02-26-2021 at 02:08 AM.
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I received my AS12 ESCs yesterday, not bad shipping time!

Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
I received my AS12 ESCs yesterday, not bad shipping time!

Cool.
What was shipping to US?
To me (neighbour country) it is € 8, so little less than 10 US$.

Walter
Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Cool.
What was shipping to US?
To me (neighbour country) it is € 8, so little less than 10 US$.

Walter
Yes it was 8 Euro. Took almost 30 days, ordered Jan 28th. Well worth the wait I assume! I will be installing one in my Enduro24 and one in my SCX24.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

OK, slow boat, but cheap (for overseas, not to my country ;) ).

Shipment from US (Amain) to me takes normally around 1 - 2 weeks.

You will love the ESCs!
Old 02-26-2021, 02:03 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

HI,
no BEC needed with AS12/6 ESC and SCX24 stock electronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnaWUVUusmY&t=432s
Old 08-31-2021, 02:38 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Hi,
finally I managed to compare the German AS12/15 and AS12/6 ESCs to a Furitek Lizard in brushed mode, with SCX24 stock motor and also with Barrage motor.

The video is super long and detailed, so probably not a lot of people will watch it, so here a short summary:

- All ESCs are absolutely silent, in contrary to stock SCX24, HobbyPlus, etc. ESCs.

- Lizard plug and play, Modellbau-Regler.de ESCs need wiring.

- The Furitek Lizard ESC is a crawler ESC, the Modellbau-Regler.de ESC are boat ESCs. So the Lizard does have dragbrake, the AS12/15 and the AS12/6 do not have dragbrake. During driving with trucks with "normal ring and pinion gears", even with the super heavy RocHobby Katana, this is slightly noticeable in super light 1/24 RGT trucks (Barrage motor), and surprisingly even less noticeable in the Katana. In the SCX24 with worm gears this is no factor to mention.

- With the Lizard you can go directly from forward to reverse, with the German ESCs not, you will notice a very short brake. This is a safety feature to protect batteries and expensive high quality motors (in boats ).

- In forward direction the Lizard is a big upgrade for the stock SCX24 in driving performance, however, the Modellbau-Regler.de ESCs are even better, clearly better than the Lizard, no doubt, watch the video.

- In reverse direction, and this is the biggest surprise for me, the Furitek Lizard is no upgrade to the stock SCX24 ESC, it is even a downgrade. The stock SCX24 ESC performs way better in reverse than the Furitek Lizard (but the Lizard is silent, the stock ESC not). The German AS12/15 and AS12/6 ESCs do have the same awesome driving performance they do have in forward direction also in reverse, no difference.

- The AS12/15 and the AS12/6 are capable of 2s and 3s Lipos, the Lizard only 2s

- The Lizard does have an on/off switch (on a nasty position ), the German ESCs do not. But the Lizard will kill your Lipo within one day, if you do not plug off the battery and let it connected to the ESC (even if shut off).

Here is the Link to the super long and super detailed YT video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMyrvp2Nhc&t=1865s

Index: Drag brake – 10:25 , bench rpm measurements – 18:23 , Barrage motor tests 40:35 , SCX24 tests - 57:20 , brushless test – 1:27:24 , final comparisons and conclusions – 1:34:31 , plus and minus – 2:03:40

Walter
Old 09-06-2021, 05:10 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

I watched your 2 hour video and I can tell you, several of your repeated tests had variables that affected the outcomes. Primarily the driver, you’re driving or throttle response changed some outcomes (higher rev or throttle, to climb over the 3d printed half barrel with the C-10 but not the Deadbolt). You also got flustered looking for remotes and trying to rush from one test to another.
Also your tire, size and compound varied between vehicles, As each model you used has or comes from Axial with different style and type of tires. You had no level base to test from.
Please don’t consider my input as negative or overly critical to deface the value of your work.
I genuinely appreciate your effort in attempt to help others, but I believe much of what you claimed was failure or where you thought performance was lacking. In reality was just you rushing between tests.
Regardless thanks for your work
XanderBolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Hi,
there is a new awesome brushed ESC from Germany, Modellbau-Regler.de, specially made for micro crawlers, plug and play with SCX24 v1, the ASX24-Crawler.

It has an even better resolution than the awesome AS12/6RW and AS12/15, 10 bit (1024 steps) vs. 8 bit (256 steps).

- micro size 20 x 25 x 5.5 mm
- waterproof
- 8 A constant rating
- 2 A 5 V BEC
- 10 Bit ultrafine resolution
- 18 kHz PWM (no noise)
- 2s - 3s Lipo, 5 - 9 NiMH, NiCd
- low voltage protection
- overheat protection
- made in Germany
- plug & play with SCX24 v1

It is absolutely fantastic.

Here is my review video:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE

Directly to setup:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE?t=1228

Directly to drive tests:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE?t=1744

Walter

Walter
Old 02-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

That sounds awesome, thanks for the video!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Hi,
there is a new awesome brushed ESC from Germany, Modellbau-Regler.de, specially made for micro crawlers, plug and play with SCX24 v1, the ASX24-Crawler.

It has an even better resolution than the awesome AS12/6RW and AS12/15, 10 bit (1024 steps) vs. 8 bit (256 steps).

- micro size 20 x 25 x 5.5 mm
- waterproof
- 8 A constant rating
- 2 A 5 V BEC
- 10 Bit ultrafine resolution
- 18 kHz PWM (no noise)
- 2s - 3s Lipo, 5 - 9 NiMH, NiCd
- low voltage protection
- overheat protection
- made in Germany
- plug & play with SCX24 v1

It is absolutely fantastic.

Here is my review video:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE

Directly to setup:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE?t=1228

Directly to drive tests:

https://youtu.be/rg2oW5HH6FE?t=1744

Walter

Walter

Do you know if a SCX24 v2 version is in the works?
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #33
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Walter, thank you for the detailed analysis of this "awesome" ESC! I hooked up one of my 6RW's with a BEC and nano receiver to my Warthog build yesterday. I'm very happy so far and I'm definitely looking forward to swapping it out with their new Crawler ESC. Till then I'll be enjoying the 6RW.

Photos of the ESC and BEC bundled together, side by side with a de-cased blue Axial stock ESC, and for scale with a postage stamp on top. (The leads are: ESC, BEC, Motor, and power.)
Attached Images

JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Finally the first batch of the version with wires, but without plugs is available:

https://www.modellbau-regler.de/shop...roducts_id=161

Plug and play version for SCX24 v1 will be available soon.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_McBride View Post
Do you know if a SCX24 v2 version is in the works?
Unfortunately there is no way to connect an external ESC to the v2 electronics of the SCX24.
Even not with soldering a signal wire to the board on a spot, where the signal can be taken (as we do or did it for example in Blade mCPX boards, Nano CP boards, Eflite UMX boards).
The board has been mapped.
There is no "ready signal" nowwhere, which could be taken and read by a normal ESC.

Seems Axial is very keen on avoiding people use external ESCs with their new electronics.
So also no brushless will be possible.

The only way to use external, better ESCs with the Axial SCX24 v2s is to totally swap out electronics, use a new radio and receiver and ESC.

It is a pity.

Walter
Old 02-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Walter, thank you for the detailed analysis of this "awesome" ESC! I hooked up one of my 6RW's with a BEC and nano receiver to my Warthog build yesterday. I'm very happy so far and I'm definitely looking forward to swapping it out with their new Crawler ESC. Till then I'll be enjoying the 6RW.
Good to hear you like it :-)

If you did already hook up the AS12/6 with BEC and like it... not really a big need to change to the new ASX24.
OK, it is a little bit smoother, switches f/r faster, ... but the main advantage for most people (not me - I love soldering ) is IMO, that it is ready to go, no soldering work necessary, no BEC wiring...

But of course you will/would love the ASX24 even more.

Walter
Old 02-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #37
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good to hear you like it :-)

If you did already hook up the AS12/6 with BEC and like it... not really a big need to change to the new ASX24.
OK, it is a little bit smoother, switches f/r faster, ... but the main advantage for most people (not me - I love soldering ) is IMO, that it is ready to go, no soldering work necessary, no BEC wiring...

But of course you will/would love the ASX24 even more.

Walter

Yes, I love to solder too! I think the new ESC has some nice features and is a very complete part now. For the average RC'er those features, plus having the wiring already done for them, will be very attractive indeed.

Unfortunately, the BEC voltage at a maximum of 5vdc is rather low so it's not really a helpful feature, especially with the new servos coming out that will probably run on 7.4vdc some day. So, we will still need to run an external BEC which increases the footprint of the package which is not desirable. Fortunately I have found an extremely small adjustable BEC so that helps.

I hope they sell it like the 6RW without any wires attached so we can still do our soldering! Perhaps I won't change the 6RW's out for the new ESC but instead try the new ESC in another truck at some point. Thanks!

Last edited by JC3; 02-23-2022 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added thoughts about the BEC
Old 02-24-2022, 12:52 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

5 Volt is absolute standard in small ESCs and for small servos.

Try to find a tiny (!) BEC with 6 V - good luck (you can get adjustable ones).

No need at all for HV there (even if I do it in one truck).
Old 02-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #39
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
5 Volt is absolute standard in small ESCs and for small servos.

Try to find a tiny (!) BEC with 6 V - good luck (you can get adjustable ones).

No need at all for HV there (even if I do it in one truck).

I know, it's either 5 or 9vdc. Here's my tiny adjustable BEC. Same basic size as the 5 or 9vdc BEC's. It's 17x12x4mm. DSN-MINI-360. Super cheap!
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2022, 05:43 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I know, it's either 5 or 9vdc. Here's my tiny adjustable BEC. Same basic size as the 5 or 9vdc BEC's. It's 17x12x4mm. DSN-MINI-360. Super cheap!
I use exactly the same ones - bought a pack of 10 at BG for supercheap.
Super useful for Orlandoos (LV servos).

Nur sure, they are rated for 1.8 A - if they really do it? If they really keep Voltage? They are so super cheap, much cheaper than even the cheapest "normal" micro BECs.
Would be a surprise for me if they are of really good quality.

Those are dangerous!
I used one (without checking) in my SCX24 Grave Digger. I did not think about and check BEC voltage. Used cheap Ali lightswitches for red headlights.
2 times the switches broke, stopped to work.
Did not know why. After the second dead switch (rated only for 5.5 V) I checked the voltage and voltage in my system was 7.x V. (No problem for Flysky GMR rx and Emax ES08MD 2 servo still did work).
Then I opened the BEC (shrinktubed) and found, I had used this adjustable BEC and "out of the box voltage" was 7.x Volts.

From now I check
(but normally I do not use those BECs for the "big" micros, but others - bought those for LV servos in Orlandoos, coincidentally picked one of those instead of the others).

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 02-25-2022 at 05:47 AM.

Best ESCs for your Micro-Trucks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro escs crawling71 Electronics 3 10-09-2011 01:50 AM
cheap micro/mini BRUSHED ESCs? spoo76 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 30 04-07-2011 04:30 PM