Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Enduro24 Sendero Build-Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Enduro24 Sendero Build-Up

This little crawler really surprised me with how good it is. I am having tons of fun with it. Stock it's good but not great so I have done a few mods and will do a few more. End goal will be to have something I can use in 1/24 crawl comps.

I also have an SCX24 and obviously there needs to be comparisons made but I will do that later in the thread I want to talk about the Sendero!

I crawled with it quite a bit stock and really liked it a lot. The only bad behaviors I noticed was the front end lifting on steep climbs and the side-hill ability wasn't as good as I expected. It only has 1S power so it doesn't have the wheel speed of some of the other crawlers, but surprisingly it has really good torque and smooth torque delivery. The stock steering servo is also really strong, I have no need to upgrade it even with stickier tires. The suspension is really, really good. It has soft springs with friction dampers so it doesn't bounce around, it flexes like the real thing.

I made this little review video when it was completely out of the box stock:

https://youtu.be/JtbwlWR3kjQ

This truck is very light and I can tell the design philosophy behind this truck was to keep it simple and as light as possible so I will be building on those strengths as I modify it.

The first thing I did was make a new 3D printed battery and electronics tray. The stock tray sits needlessly high above the chassis and puts the battery towards the extreme rear of the vehicle. I moved the battery forward and lowered it against the chassis rails and then moved the ESC/RX to the rear. Note, I oriented the ESC/RX with the wires towards the front because that was the heavy side.

Stock tray 5g:

New tray 4g

Installed:

I realized after I installed it that I could have lowered it a few more mm and still had full clearance to the axle so I will do that next

The tray is on Thingiverse for anyone to download and 3D print your own. I'm guessing it will also fit the RGT: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4739192

Last edited by Vitamin_J; 01-27-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Enduro24 Sendero Build-Up

First things first I changed the tires to RC4WD Rock Crusher tires. Honestly, the stock Sendero tires are probably just as soft and sticky as these, but without foams they roll over and smash up too easily and I wanted to add some weight to the front wheels. The new tires are the same diameter as the stock tires. This truck has really good torque in part because the tires have a very small diameter so I wanted to maintain the same diameter. The RC4WD tires obviously come with foams, while the stock tires don't.

Before installing the tires I wrapped 5g of solder around each of the front wheels and held it in place with aluminized tape. I also added some brass hexes to the front axle. I chose to use the brass hexes instead of just more solder because they are closer to the axle which means less angular momentum than the same weight in the wheel. On a truck like this, all that rotational inertia will start to add up. Ideally, I'd get some brass knuckles, but those aren't available for this truck. I also thought about wrapping the whole front axle with solder to avoid adding rotational momentum altogether but so far I am still happy with the pep of the motor.

The weight of the truck is now 240g. I did not weigh it beforehand but my guess is I added about 15g of weight to the front end.

The side-hill ability of the truck is definitely improved. Also the stock steering servo is really strong and it's still working great I see no need to change it yet.

Unfortunately, my dog at my controller steering wheel! That was no good as I need to crawl! I whipped up a quick 3D printed replacement. You can download it on Thingiverse if you want to print your own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4739187

Last edited by Vitamin_J; 01-27-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm probably going to get shit for this, but I think stock-for-stock, the Enduro24 is better than the SCX24. Of course the SCX24 has the gearing advantage, but the Enduro24 has a much better chassis set up out of the box. The Enduro24 can side-hill better and climb steeper angles. The SCX24 is really bouncy on its stock suspension and bounces all over the place on the rocks whereas the Enduro24 is planted and flexible. Also the steering servo is really good on the Enduro24, even with lots of wheeling and upgraded tires I see no need to upgrade. Naturally, the SCX24 will ultimately be better because it has so many more mods available that will boost its performance, but out-of-the-box, the Enduro24 is better IMO.

I have ordered one of the famous German AS12 tested by donaldsneffe in this thread: Best ESCs for your Micro-Trucks

My plan is to install the ESC and see what this truck does on 2S with that ESC.

Last edited by Vitamin_J; 02-03-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:10 AM   #4

Awesome! My son got one and loves it. The tires are super sticky, way better than stock on my JLU
moerdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Good info and comparison. I've been curious about these. I see they've got a 4runner 1/24 coming soon. Might have to swoop one.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:59 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Did you ever do that ESC swap? I got one of these for Fathers day and am trying to learn what mods have been successful.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBurly View Post
Did you ever do that ESC swap? I got one of these for Fathers day and am trying to learn what mods have been successful.
I've tried a few things on mine. tried the 2S esc out of the atlas, its the same thats in a lot of the cheaper crawlers. very noisy as usual, and the low speed throttle control is not great.

currently i have a stock scx24 esc/rx in there and while it works better. i think the gearing on the truck is the problem. the low speed throttle isn't as good as a stock scx still. i may swap some scx24 axles on there next and see how that goes
skurge is offline   Reply With Quote

Enduro24 Sendero Build-Up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher drives an Enduro24 Topher Builds Micro Scale Rigs 15 04-16-2021 05:39 AM
Wolfies Zombie apocalypse enduro sendero build.. Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 14 05-30-2020 06:02 PM
Element RC Enduro Sendero Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit build Jim85IROC Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 9 02-16-2020 10:06 AM
OTR sendero build -/ why are the ad ft foams so stiff? OTRocks Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 6 09-11-2019 06:42 PM